Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Metal Detecting Washington State
Posted by: BADBAJA
Date: October 13, 2011 09:48PM
Tony here in Vancouver wa. Just be careful around any historic sights. The main one being fort Vancouver. It covers the park clear down to the river. They will take your detector and fine you. They don't play around here on historic land at all. Also the parks around can hide a lot of goodies. I just found a kids cache of old bottles and still have to comb it for $. People around here are tight lipped about good spots because YOU HAVE TO SEARCH AND FIND THEM. I go out about 3-4 times a week up here so do your research and we can hit up some areas

Also please list any Vancouver wa clubs.

Posted by: XT18000
Date: October 14, 2011 07:40AM
Glad to see all you people are getting interested in this hobby you will have fun and learn a great deal
about people and history. Unfortunately you will also learn that there are people out there that do not
want you to have this enjoyment. Please take the time to look up the Federal Antiquity Laws and the
U.S.F.S. laws about detecting on N.F. lands BEFORE you get started.

There have been cases where very costly actions have been taken against people that did not do this!
Don't be one of them!

Also be very careful of what you post on this or any other Forum as to locations and photo's of your finds
because there are people out there that watch and read these Forums that will stop at nothing to stop
us from doing what we enjoy as part of there own sick enjoyment.

I know that to some this might sound a little " UP TIGHT " but it's just the way it is in the good old U.S.A.
today and it's getting worst every day.

Be sure you FILL YOUR HOLES where ever you dig! This one thing has caused more areas to be closed
to us and caused more ill will than any other.

Number two on the list of things that brings us all grief is " DO NOT TRESPASS " !!!

I don't was to discourage any one that wants to enjoy this hobby, this is the real world today and only a small
part for the things we have to face to enjoy it.

Bad things can and do happen to good people, remember that!

Now go out and enjoy your self and fine a tun of good stuff!

XT

Posted by: Vancouver Larry
Date: February 03, 2012 01:50PM
Well here's another newbbie.
I almost bought a detector off of Craigs List and when I went to pick it up I found that it had been driven over by a drunk.
So I still have the itch to get started but can't scratch the itch yet.
I have an RV and get around quite a bit (being retired), I have ask around at most of the places we camp and have not been greeted very friendly, especialy at Washington State parks.
That being said I am unsure about how much I want to invest in a detector.

Date: February 03, 2012 04:54PM
All the parks and schools around the Vancouver have been beaten to death. Don't get me wrong you can probably find stuff on top but forget old silver and such. You will have to think outside the box. Best thing to do Is ask permission and search old homes but I am not gonna give you all the secrets. Just as said above keep your finds to yourself. Unless you can return what you can.

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: February 04, 2012 08:27AM
What kind of campgrounds do you "camp at"? I mean, fed? county? city? private (koa, etc..)? Do you think the "unfriendliness" you encountered/perceived could simply have been a case of no one caring ..... till you asked? Barring of course, if there was/is an actual written rule, then there would be no need to ask anyhow. Usually park rules are written on the sign as you enter, or on the brochure they hand out at the pay kiosk. If it doesn't say "no metal detecting", then presto, I guess it must not be disallowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 08:33AM by Tom_in_CA.

Posted by: Nikoli
Date: February 16, 2012 01:17PM
The following website will show the rules and WA state parks open to metal detecting. You can print out the form (not both pages), fill it in each time you visit, and put it in one of the pay boxes. Also, some of the park rangers like to be notified when you're detecting so they can answer the questioning public that is using the park. I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula, and found most of the Rangers to be OK w/ detecting.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/publications/other/Metal%20Detecting%20brochure.pdf

Posted by: DW-OR
Date: February 18, 2012 09:09AM
Hey Clay, There are 2 Great Clubs in the Portland area #1 is American Heritage Research and Preservation Society Addy is www.ahrps.org Monte Berry is in this one, and Oregon Treasure Trail Society Addy is www. oretts.org Both clubs have a Great group of people in them. HH Don W :detecting:

Date: February 18, 2012 10:06AM
No point looking in Washington anymore. I have already found anything of value. Just foil and cans left. Lol

Posted by: Vancouver Larry
Date: February 21, 2012 06:25PM
In doing some research about where old ghost towns and old mines to spend time MDing I ran across (http://www.legendsofamerica.com) they show mining areas and ghost towns in Washington, the oldest are in the northeast part of Washington.
Had a thought about taking my RV up and spending a week playing (getting Rich with gold) I don't know how hard most of these areas have been hit, but it would make for some good exercise.
Also ran across: http://www.ghosttownsusa.com/index.htm which list old places to check out.
I may never make it home again.
Vancouver Larry

Posted by: TeryCheryl
Date: March 01, 2012 07:29PM
new here, I'm in Kelso to, have done a little detecting and would like to do more
i'm 52 retired don't drink but i do smoke and don't have a dirty mouth
if this rain ever quits would be great

Posted by: TerraDigger
Date: March 01, 2012 08:09PM
Larry, try the detector classifieds here at Fmall. You can get some smokin deals on good clean machines. Deal with long time members with good reputations and you should do fine.

Date: March 01, 2012 10:18PM
That site is some good reading. Thank you.

Posted by: TeryCheryl
Date: March 02, 2012 03:32PM
Terry Here again anyone want in the Kelso area want to do some detecting

Date: March 03, 2012 02:17PM
I am further north if you head this way

Posted by: Marcus Detectus
Date: March 03, 2012 11:43PM
Try around Vancouver Lake at the park, also there is a park about 2 miles down the Columbia that has a good beach. It may or may not be good at Delta Park in Portland. When at the beach in Or or WA remember that you will encounter mineralization or what is referred to as black sand. Read up about that on forums like this or on the net.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.