Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Field test...SUNRAY X-8 Coil:super:
Posted by: Bryce-IL
Date: March 11, 2010 07:40PM
CLICK THE LINK TO VEW http://www.sunraydetector.com/field_test_of_the_sun_ray_stealth_x-8_coil.htm

Here's the link to my field test post containing over 60 different hunts of various coil tests...field tests published in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine...comparisons...nicer finds...etc..:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1055627,1055627#msg-1055627

Been swingin' the coil since 1972

Started out in 1972 with a Jetco Detector...then the late 70's with a Whites 6000:whites:....then in 1981 went to a Bounty Hunter VLF TR 840:bounty:

Then in the early 1980's I went to a Whites 6000 Di Pro:whites:...mid 80's I went to a Whites Eagle II SL:whites:...Late 80's/Early 90's I went to the Whites XLT:whites:

1990's I used the Fisher CZ5, CZ6, CZ7, 7aPro, and CZ70Pro (still have)...and am currently doing some water hunting with my CZ-21:fisher:...

Started using Minelabs in 1999:minelab:

with a brief stint on the Musketeer while also using the CZ's...then in 2002 I switched to the Minelab Explorers and currently use the Explorer SE Pro as my main machine. I also use the Explorer 2 and E-trac often... and have a CTX3030 I use as a backup:minelab: Might also mention I have an arsenal of coils for the Explorers:thumbup:

"Metal detecting is an escape for me and allows me to find some much needed peace and solace.
Being able to clear my head...even if only for that short while...is much more meaningful than any amount of finds that end up in my pouch"
:angel: "Quote ME"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 01:23PM by Bryce-IL.

Re: Field test just completed of the Sunray X-8 coil:super:
Posted by: LabradorBob
Date: March 11, 2010 08:10PM
Very Nice Bryce,Thanks for the testing and the results.A lot of time and effort put into that i'm sure,and cold to boot.
Is that the new findmall Jacket?
Great finds,and thanks once again for the info,The X-8 sounds like it would be a great addition to every ones coil line.
It makes a lot of sense to use the right tool for the job as they say.
If the X8 pulls more finds,it will be a great seller.
Now,Wheres the best place to buy them?

Harold Reese

Missouri

Remember to keep those coil covers clean!
Go to the Maps and mapping forum here:
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

Re: NEW Field test just completed...SUNRAY X-8 Coil:super:
Posted by: Gold Nuggets
Date: March 11, 2010 08:49PM
Nice job Bryce and a well written review of the
Sunray X-8 coil. I have never used the X-8, but
after reading your review, I think I will look into
getting one for my arsenel to compliment and
enhanse my Explorer SE finds. Thanks and keep
posting those finds......it helps keep the treasure
fever alive and kicking. Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

Minelab Explorer SE with Pro coil and X-1 probe,
Minelab Excal 2 (1000)

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: March 11, 2010 08:52PM
Hi Bryce----Got a question for you.---Which of the following coils do you like the best & why?---The Sunray X-8 or the 6X8 SEF?----I think that little SEF coil is a real "killer", I ended up selling my X-8 & went to it.----I always respect your opinion & was just wondering what your opinion of those two coils is (as far as one haveing any real advantage over the other)?---------Thanks, Del

Del...
Date: March 11, 2010 09:52PM
Thanks...and I appreciate your respect. It means a lot to me:angel:

Fact is... that there's no way I could give an honest opinion unless I personally did some side by side comparisons.

I only have two arms:bouncy:...not enough personal hunt time:rolleyes:...too much of a workload:confused:...too many coils:cool:...and not enough hours in the day.:help:

I do some very strenuous, thorough, and time consuming testing when I field test these coils. I'm not out to push one coil over another...that's definitely not my objective. I'm only going to report the unbiased and truthful results of what my testing shows me.

From that point on...it's up to you fellers' to decide what you think will work best for you.:thumbup:

Here's the link to my field test post containing over 60 different hunts of various coil tests...field tests published in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine...comparisons...nicer finds...etc..:

Started out in 1972 with a Jetco Detector...then the late 70's with a Whites 6000:whites:....then in 1981 went to a Bounty Hunter VLF TR 840:bounty:

Then in the early 1980's I went to a Whites 6000 Di Pro:whites:...mid 80's I went to a Whites Eagle II SL:whites:...Late 80's/Early 90's I went to the Whites XLT:whites:

1990's I used the Fisher CZ5, CZ6, CZ7, 7aPro, and CZ70Pro (still have)...and am currently doing some water hunting with my CZ-21:fisher:...

with a brief stint on the Musketeer while also using the CZ's...then in 2002 I switched to the Minelab Explorers and currently use the Explorer SE Pro as my main machine. I also use the Explorer 2 and E-trac often... and have a CTX3030 I use as a backup:minelab: Might also mention I have an arsenal of coils for the Explorers:thumbup:

"Metal detecting is an escape for me and allows me to find some much needed peace and solace.
Being able to clear my head...even if only for that short while...is much more meaningful than any amount of finds that end up in my pouch"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 10:08PM by Bryce-IL.

Richard...
Date: March 11, 2010 10:02PM
thanks for the kind words.:angel:

Harold.....
Date: March 11, 2010 10:06PM
that's my Harley Jacket:biggrin:...Findmall jacket was too new to get dirty:bouncy:

Ralph at Sunray sells these coils...and has his own forum here on Findmall.:thumbup:

Good Field Test, Bryce!! :detecting:
Posted by: captn_se
Date: March 12, 2010 05:19PM
I enjoyed the article! Nice pics too!! :thumbup:

I remember back in '07, the X-8 was the first additional coil purchase I made. And, IMHO, it was a very good decision. I'm pretty sure I found close to 200 silvers with that coil. I remember going back to trashy zones in the parks where I had pulled many oldies from with my stock coil, then hitting those areas with the X-8. That X-8 sure informed me that I missed quite a few deepies next to trash targets with the stock coil back then. I was able to run the 8" hot too (30 sens.). I know it hits deeper than the 5" coil. I did comparisons with my buddies between them. It's remarkably deep.

Take care,
Dan
CAPTN SE

CAPTN_SE (Dan)
Detector: Minelab SE
Coils: SE Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Expl. 1050, Sunray 8"
Headphones: Grey Ghost Ultimates
Probe: Sunray X-1 Target Probe
:minelab: :usaflag: :minelab: :usaflag: :minelab: :usaflag:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 05:20PM by captn_se.

Posted by: Jack Flynn
Date: March 12, 2010 06:14PM
I'll have to say that no matter which coil I try I always go back to my X 8. I'm running the X 5, X8,and X12 most of the time on any hunt. They are very nice well built coils and after all with Ralph right here on the forum I don't think there is any way you could go wrong running one of them. Great test Bryce....

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: March 13, 2010 10:41AM
I bought one last year for my E-trac. It has been my favorite coil since! It is lite seperates good and is deep. I dug a couple 10" barber and merc. dimes with it!

Thanks Dan. I have been fortunate to....
Date: March 13, 2010 11:32AM
be able to test and try all these different coils. I am just amazed at what little traits each coil has that helps it "find" coins other coils might miss.

It involves many, many hours of swapping machines...changing coils...experimenting...flagging targets...hunting very pounded sites...crummy weather...etc....but man what I have learned:thumbup:

Should be a very interesting 2010

Take care my friend

Date: March 13, 2010 11:34AM
I plan on using it more too:thumbup:

Thanks a bunch Jack. I have....
Date: March 13, 2010 11:37AM
found out the same thing over the last few months.

Ralph is a good guy...and a pleasure to talk "huntin" with.

I appreciate your response Jack...and good luck to you in 2010.

Posted by: OhioCoinHunter
Date: March 13, 2010 02:17PM
Excellent field test, Bryce. I like the side-by-side comparison with another well known coil. Thank you for the time and effort you put into that field test. It was a very enjoyable read.

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/OhioCoinHunter

:minelab: Minelab E-trac with Sunray X-1 Probe, 8x6 SEF Butterfly Coil, 10x12 SEF Butterfly Coil, 15x12 SEF Butterfly Coil,
Gray Ghost Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Digger, Predator Little Eagle Digger

Date: March 13, 2010 03:03PM
Thanks Dan....I appreciate it.:cheers:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login