Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: New SE Pro user...any tips?
Posted by: sgoss66
Date: March 28, 2011 09:54AM
surfman, thanks for the thoughts on the UR-30s...from my limited knowledge and limited research, it seems like those phones might be better than anything I've used in the past, and may actually be pretty good. You seem to confirm that. Thanks.

GeoPa -- thanks for the info, especially on the worn silver dimes...hmm. I do plan to hit some spots with plenty of clad, to learn the machine and its sounds, as you suggested. I understand these machines to really be ones where your "ears" can be the best "discriminators," once you learn the unique sounds, and info contained therein, on the Explorers/Etracs. Maybe moreso than many other machines...

Steve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro (DP)
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: montanagold
Date: March 30, 2011 11:34PM
Everybody has their own settings. Don't listen to any of them. Sure buy Andy's book but don't read it yet. Start in factory and use your ears. You will pick it up quick. We tend to make things harder than they are but the SE is not. You just gotta learn what works in your area then you will be as good as anyone. HH

Minelab E-Trac with Sunray X-12, X-1 Minelab Safari, RAT headphones

Posted by: widebody
Date: March 31, 2011 12:14AM
i'm new to the ex se also. 3 months. my very sage advise is *** don't live or move to vermont or upstate n.y. they seem to have very short hunting seasons these days. :cry:

HH

Garrett AT Pr o
Garrett Pro pin pointer.x2
Whites V3i

AIN'T THIS HOBBY GREAT?

THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK.
Kelso, Wa.
where the sun don't shine most of the time.

Date: March 31, 2011 09:21AM
hey montanagold -- that's a slightly different twist to the advice I've been getting, and it does make sense. Gives me something to think on. Thanks for that.

widebody -- that IS some sage advice, although having grown up in western Pennsylvania, I have a deep, unquenchable love for the Appalachians...maybe just a BIT farther south than upstate NY/VT though, to lengthen the detecting season (and the golf season, and the fishing season....but, ice hockey is ALSO a great sport!) :)

Steve

Garrett ProPointer

Norman, OK

Posted by: widebody
Date: March 31, 2011 11:56AM
just gotta feel for those guys up north.
the folks to listen to already spoke. bryce and drew and a couple of others have all said stay with the factory for a while. but you can get the explorer emulator
and practice on it. it will help along with andy's book to get you familar with the machine. taking the time to practice is the only way you'll get the feel of your machine.
even in factory mode the se does better'n some machines all tweeked out. you'll love and hate this machine. more practice brings more love less hate. it's like owning a parson russell./ jack russell. you're not in a race. take the time and enjoy the solitude.

HH

Garrett AT Pr o
Garrett Pro pin pointer.x2
Whites V3i

AIN'T THIS HOBBY GREAT?

THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK.
Kelso, Wa.
where the sun don't shine most of the time.

Date: March 31, 2011 12:02PM
Thanks widebody!

More love, and less hate, over time...that's what I'll expect, and look for. I think it's gonna be a great machine, but it sure has its own "personality" that is much different than other machines I've used. Need lots of practice/hunting time with it!

Steve

Garrett ProPointer

Norman, OK

Posted by: AIRFORCEMIKE
Date: February 16, 2012 07:57PM
Just got my SE PRO yesterday..almost done reading Andy's book and been going over Bryce's advice over and over. You guys are true inspiration to me for sure. So when you say just use the preset programs are you just saying check coins? if i just want to do some coin hunting or if coin and jewlery, check both of them. Just want to make sure doing that wont get me to confused cause that seems way to easy or im over thinking. Those simple setting are easy along with sensitivty and semi 26 and iron mask at 22. Pretty much elimiates most of the gold tones..but i will venture into ferross soon enough ...no rush. Let me know if im totally lost or just stick with what i said for a month then come back for more.

Posted by: cladkiller
Date: February 17, 2012 04:55PM
Hey Steve I just purchased the sunray pro gold head phones they rock , i used the Koss UR30'S didn't care for them much the cord was to short and they didn't fit real snug , they slid of your head easily, the sunray pro golds sound alot clearer to me, volume control for each ear and you cant hear anything but your machine! there very comfortable as well. IMOP
well good luck with your new silver slayer
David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login