Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
SWEET hunt in the muck with friends.:clapping:
Posted by: Bryce-IL
Date: February 08, 2012 02:20PM
Met up with Brad (Big Digger) and Dave-IL for some hunting.

Beautiful day today after 2 days of rain. It was about 42 degrees with no wind...but the ground was soaked and had water standing in many places.

Had to deal with a lot of falsing and chirping because of the saturated ground...and didn't even like what I heard in semi auto...so I ended up dropping the sensitivity to manual 22.

The first thing I got was a wheatie/Washington quarter pocket spill...and the quarter was very deep.

I popped out the wheatie first and was disappointed because I was sure I'd heard the "silver warble".:confused:

I did get a cheap thrill though when I saw it was a 1914.:thumbup:

I tried for nearley 5 minutes to make a "D" appear but it never did.:biggrin:

I then ran the probe again and from way down came the warble.:cheers:

I then stuck the Lesche down as far as I could and when I pried a pile of goop out and the quarter came out in a "muck pile" right at the end of the digger. I was very lucky not to have stabbed it or scratched it...but all was okay.

It was about that time that Brad and Dave both decided to help me hunt my spot.:bouncy: As you can see...they weasled their way to within 15 feet of where I was hunting:detecting:... so I decided to snap a pic.

Brad ended up popping out a Washington quarter of his own...and he did so AFTER invading my turf.:smoke:

A while later I got the "silver hidin' in iron warble"...and it hit from only one of 4 angles as I circled the hole...BUT it repeated on both the swing and return swing of each and every pass at least 10 times in sucession of said angle....so I gave it a shot.

Before digging I called over B-Rad to let him listen to what I felt was a possible silver coin hidin' in iron.

My trusty ID'ing all metal pinpoint feature which is exclusive the SE that you always hear me speak so highly of...well it was rendered usless because of the heavy iron.:bouncy: In fact pinpointing was impossible...so I did the "minelab wiggle" until I felt I had honed in on the sweet spot....and dug a nice deep plug from the muck.

There was trash and iron everywhere in the hole, including a straw...cigarette pack...and part of a smashed can:cool: I finally pulled out a mud clod with two corroded old nails in it from a measured 10.5" down.:thumbup:

After picking away at the muck and separating the dime from the pile....one of the nails pulled from the clod had been laying directly on the front bottom right side where you see the little iron stain.

The other one was laying on the reverse side as you can see from the indent line along the top left of the pic below where I pulled it out.

It looked cool where the iron had seeped down onto the coin as you can see from the stain on back as well as on the SWEET imprint left when I popped it out of the muck.

To me this is what makes the hobby rewarding and fun...to find a previously masked coin...and to have to work for it to do so.

I ended up with 4 silvers and 6 wheaties

We all had a good day and found some keepers...and Herky got to chase squirrels:clapping:...so it was all good.

The only thing that would have made the day better is if my old hunting buddy Phil could have come along with us.

We have yet to hunt with the 4 of us together...but it will happen this year.

:jump:One more note: In the pic you see my gloved hand...then Daves hand on top....now look at the size of B-Rad's big mit on the right holding his coins.:surrender::surprised::bouncy::rofl:

Here's the link to my field test post containing over 60 different hunts of various coil tests...field tests published in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine...comparisons...nicer finds...etc..:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1055627,1055627#msg-1055627

Been swingin' the coil since 1972

Started out in 1972 with a Jetco Detector...then the late 70's with a Whites 6000:whites:....then in 1981 went to a Bounty Hunter VLF TR 840:bounty:

Then in the early 1980's I went to a Whites 6000 Di Pro:whites:...mid 80's I went to a Whites Eagle II SL:whites:...Late 80's/Early 90's I went to the Whites XLT:whites:

1990's I used the Fisher CZ5, CZ6, CZ7, 7aPro, and CZ70Pro (still have)...and am currently doing some water hunting with my CZ-21:fisher:...

Started using Minelabs in 1999:minelab:

with a brief stint on the Musketeer while also using the CZ's...then in 2002 I switched to the Minelab Explorers and currently use the Explorer SE Pro as my main machine. I also use the Explorer 2 and E-trac often... and have a CTX3030 I use as a backup:minelab: Might also mention I have an arsenal of coils for the Explorers:thumbup:

"Metal detecting is an escape for me and allows me to find some much needed peace and solace.
Being able to clear my head...even if only for that short while...is much more meaningful than any amount of finds that end up in my pouch"
:angel: "Quote ME"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 05:36PM by Bryce-IL.

Re: SWEET hunt in the muck with friends.:clapping:
Posted by: drkp88
Date: February 08, 2012 02:52PM
Great story Bryce. It's all in the hunt.
Bruce

Posted by: McDave
Date: February 08, 2012 03:29PM
Nice finds !!

We'll get you into that '14-D club yet .. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MNcoinhunter
Northern Minnesota
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett AT Pro
White's Coinmaster 5H/DM G.E.B.

Posted by: TwoRivers
Date: February 08, 2012 04:11PM
Looks like a fun time! Nice finds and good friends...........hard to beat!:thumbup:

Wow.The "Master" strikes again.. even with poachers on your land :rofl:
Posted by: Elton
Date: February 08, 2012 04:15PM
Nice job guys.................. Loved the story !!

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Posted by: triplehooked
Date: February 08, 2012 04:30PM
Ha....looks one of those guys who, when you shake their hand your thinking " Please don't squeeze..." :lmfao: Sounds like it was a fun hunt. When I take my pooch out he's always "helping" me dig my plugs..... I spend a lot of time fixing his poor pinpointing abilities...:rolleyes: Great info as always....
That 'iron cladded' merc. has cemented my decision to pick up an Explorer SE. That and the four hours of reading your folk's back posts (up til' 3am this morning). Great info. and a great site, thanks Bryce!

Posted by: niterider_58
Date: February 08, 2012 05:40PM
Congratulations Bryce on digging that Mercury dime out of all of that iron Incredible, Dave and Brad got their share to :thumbup: sometime when you guys get time give me a holler I would love to go.

MINELAB EXPLORER XS EX-2 AND E-TRAC 15x12 10X12 6X8 AND PRO COIL..

Posted by: amc rulz
Date: February 08, 2012 06:40PM
Great story Bryce, you guys had a blast I can tell! WTG sniffing the silver outa that iron!

oh yeah

Posted by: banditicey
Date: February 08, 2012 07:36PM
Great Story

Great Finds

Detecting With Friends...PRICELESS

With hands the size of Brads, .....
Posted by: bugg
Date: February 08, 2012 08:31PM
Thats the detecting buddy you take when you go into st louis!!! Love your stories.

Posted by: MikeO
Date: February 08, 2012 09:29PM
Bryce (and Brad and Dave) that is a super cool hunt especially since it was enjoyed with friends.
Nothing like digging in the muck of wet ground with friends.
Love the pic. of the wheatie with the imprint of the reverse of the merc imprinted into the back as they settled together for years prior to your discovery. That is a priceless picture.
I sure wish my pup would tag along with me while I was hunting but, at his young age I am afraid he would run off and I probably could not catch him.
Glad you guys had an awesome time!

Great Hunt and Story. :clapping: :clapping::clapping:

Detecting since 1979
Findmall member since 2000
Started out with a :bounty: 840 VLF/TR. Then I have owned a :whites: 5900, 6000Di, 6000Di Pro, XLT and a DFX, :fisher: CZ6 CZ6a, CZ7.
Started using :minelab: in 2000 with a XS . :thumbup: Then I have used and owned the XS-S, SE.
I currently still swing my XS-II I bought in 2003 and have a SE-Pro as a back-up. I also have some coils and use the Sun-Ray X1 probe and DetectorPro "Grey Ghost Originals"

Favorite find ever a 1834 Half Dime (15 years ago)
Oldest coin ever found a 1734 Real (11 years ago)

One of my favotites from 2012 season an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1795264,1795264#msg-1795264

Favorite coin from 2013 season an 1835 Capped Bust Dime.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1962866,1962866

Favorite coin of 2014 so far (1849 Large Cent)
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2034861,2034861#msg-2034861

Posted by: Big Digger
Date: February 08, 2012 10:05PM
Had a great time hunting with you and Dave. I am still amazed that you where able to hear that target through all of that trash, nice job buddy....

Posted by: born2hunt
Date: February 09, 2012 06:28AM
Nice hunt :beers: You guys did well.

Re: SWEET hunt in the muck with friends.:clapping:N/T
Posted by: Crusty
Date: February 09, 2012 07:07AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 07:11AM by Crusty.

Posted by: Big Boys Hobbies
Date: February 09, 2012 07:09AM
Looks like a great days with friends!

Bart Davis
Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net
Findmall Sponsor BigBoysHobbies.net
Email, call or text for best deals. 405-206-9010
Minelab USA Partner of the year award 2012. Minelab customer service award 2012.
Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Fisher Metal Detectors Teknetics Metal Detectors Garrett Metal Detectors XP Deus Dealer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login