Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
5 games of Hide N Seek...and I won two of 'em.:beers:
Posted by: Bryce-IL
Date: February 29, 2012 05:32PM
I had 3 hours to hunt today before I needed to be back at the gym for my 5:30, 6:30, and 7:30 personal training appointments....so I headed to one of my favorite sites.

This place doesn't give up much anymore and I'm thrilled if I can walk away with a wheatie...seriously. However with gas nearing $4 per gallon and only 3 hours to hunt...beggers can't be choosey.

At this place I knew I would be moving at a slower than slow...creeping pace. I also knew I would be in for a lot of nulling...a lot of chirping...a lot of falsing...a nail or two...and hopefully at least one keeper...which to me is a wheatie, silver, or injun'.

What's cool about this place is that Herky gets to run...help dig my holes...and chase squirrels if the opportunity presents itself.:clapping:

Well I dug only 5 targets in 3 hours... and got punked on 3 of the 5 as they turned out to be rusty nails.:bouncy:

That's okay though because 2 of the 5 turned out to be silver:thumbup:...and BOTH were hiding in the iron.:thumbup:

Hey in the NBA if a 3 point shooter hits 40% of his shots...he is on FIRE.:smile:

In this case I played 5 games of hide n seek...and won 40% of 'em. I'll take that any day of the week.:clapping:

The first one I dug was the Barber in a mud clod with a bent, U-shaped nail. I tried to get it out of the hole intact within the dirt but it was moist... and "chunked" apart as I was trying to take the pic....so I just set them next to each other exactly how they broke apart from the clod.

The second silver came about an hour later and I was able to get it out of the hole still intact with the nail sticking through the clod and lying right underneath the dime...and silver rim peeking out.

I then popped it open like a book and unfolded it to reveal exactly what you see.

Pretty cool to see the nail and iron stain all over...seeing that the silver was obviously right on top of it.

This is exactly how the Barber was found too....right on top of the horshoe shaped nail...but I was able to catch this one intact to show before opening clod and after opening clod.

Speaks volumes about the SE and what it's capable of in iron.:thumbup:

Getting to know your machine/coil combo....NOT switching settings every time out...AND learning the difference between the sound of just iron falses VS the sound of a coin actually hiding in there with the iron is the key to making finds in heavy iron.

Is the method I use foolproof....NOPE...otherwise I wouldn't have dug 3 rusty nails today:cool:...BUT I DID uncover 2 previously masked silver dimes to go along with those 3 nails.:beers:

Here's the kicker....2 of those 3 rusty nails sounded good from 2 of 4 angles...and I honestly expected at least one of those digs to be a silver coin together with a nail....WRONG.

BOTH of the silver coins I found on this hunt did not hit from 4...3...2...or EVEN 1 of the angles as I circled the undug target.

They hit from just ONE tiny little spot and if I moved at all...the signal was a complete null...BUT that tiny little warble from that one spot was "tight" and did not break up in any way whatsoever on each wiggle and return wiggle of the coil.

Here is the method I use to decide whether to take a chance on a dig when hunting in the iron:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1642710,1645373#msg-1645373

I've gotten lots of private messages the last couple of weeks on what I listen for...what does it sound like...how to discern the sound...etc.

I honestly can't elaborate any further because we all have different things that we train our ears to listen for...but TRUST ME the SE WILL find deep coins hiding in iron...and is second to NONE when doing so.

I hope everyone has a chance to get out and enjoy some hunt time in the next few days.

Here's the link to my field test post containing over 60 different hunts of various coil tests...field tests published in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine...comparisons...nicer finds...etc..:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1055627,1055627#msg-1055627

Been swingin' the coil since 1972

Started out in 1972 with a Jetco Detector...then the late 70's with a Whites 6000:whites:....then in 1981 went to a Bounty Hunter VLF TR 840:bounty:

Then in the early 1980's I went to a Whites 6000 Di Pro:whites:...mid 80's I went to a Whites Eagle II SL:whites:...Late 80's/Early 90's I went to the Whites XLT:whites:

1990's I used the Fisher CZ5, CZ6, CZ7, 7aPro, and CZ70Pro (still have)...and am currently doing some water hunting with my CZ-21:fisher:...

Started using Minelabs in 1999:minelab:

with a brief stint on the Musketeer while also using the CZ's...then in 2002 I switched to the Minelab Explorers and currently use the Explorer SE Pro as my main machine. I also use the Explorer 2 and E-trac often... and have a CTX3030 I use as a backup:minelab: Might also mention I have an arsenal of coils for the Explorers:thumbup:

"Metal detecting is an escape for me and allows me to find some much needed peace and solace.
Being able to clear my head...even if only for that short while...is much more meaningful than any amount of finds that end up in my pouch"
:angel: "Quote ME"

Re: 5 games of Hide N Seek...and I won two of 'em.:beers:
Posted by: EladSwerdna
Date: February 29, 2012 05:34PM
Reading stuff like this makes me love my new SE even more. Nice digs Bryce!

Posted by: Derrelld
Date: February 29, 2012 07:53PM
Amazing buddy!!!!
I remember the first time I ever read one if your post back a few years ago. I was totally inspired, I wanted to be better and keep on getting better. That still hasn't changed :thumbup: Amazing finds man.. Keep it up, we all love reading your post!!!!
Derrell

IM JUST A KID THAT LIKES TO PLAY IN THE DIRT :)
:minelab: ~CTX 3030, Explorer SE, E-trac & Blisstool~ Sunray Probes, Garrett Pro Pointer, 12X13 N#@, 10x12 SEF, 12x15 SEF, 11 Inch Pro, Sunray X-8, 6 Inch Excelerator

Posted by: cladkiller
Date: February 29, 2012 09:13PM
I agree with Derrell, im still a newbe to this sport and ive , in my own opinion done very well so far, i owe alot of that to reading Bryces post's and running his deep park silver settings, and doing a little tweeking on different things my self, So bryce thanks for sharing the pics the story and sharing your knowledge of this awesome hobby. :super:

David

Posted by: TwoRivers
Date: February 29, 2012 09:28PM
Great finds Bryce.............I've dug a few of those combos........nail on or under silver coins...:thumbup:

Posted by: MikeO
Date: February 29, 2012 09:55PM
Nice Barber and Roosie Bryce.
Nice story behind the finds.
Don't you just love coins in iron.
:clapping:

Detecting since 1979
Findmall member since 2000
Started out with a :bounty: 840 VLF/TR. Then I have owned a :whites: 5900, 6000Di, 6000Di Pro, XLT and a DFX, :fisher: CZ6 CZ6a, CZ7.
Started using :minelab: in 2000 with a XS . :thumbup: Then I have used and owned the XS-S, SE.
I currently still swing my XS-II I bought in 2003 and have a SE-Pro as a back-up. I also have some coils and use the Sun-Ray X1 probe and DetectorPro "Grey Ghost Originals"

Favorite find ever a 1834 Half Dime (15 years ago)
Oldest coin ever found a 1734 Real (11 years ago)

One of my favotites from 2012 season an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1795264,1795264#msg-1795264

Favorite coin from 2013 season an 1835 Capped Bust Dime.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1962866,1962866

Awesome Bryce....Which coil were you using?N/T
Posted by: wayne_etc
Date: February 29, 2012 11:52PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

AT Pro
Modded Classic ID
North Alabama

Posted by: McDave
Date: March 01, 2012 07:05AM
Very nice ... !

Finds like that just prove to me what the Explorer is capable of ..

http://www.youtube.com/user/MNcoinhunter
Northern Minnesota
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett AT Pro
White's Coinmaster 5H/DM G.E.B.

Posted by: DougF
Date: March 01, 2012 07:09AM
Nice finds and thanks for the description of how you decide to dig the targets. I'm not finding the silver in the hole with rusty nails yet, but I may be passing up some of them because I usually don't dig if the signal only hits from one direction.

Posted by: drkp88
Date: March 01, 2012 07:38AM
Nice finds Bryce - and great on line training!
Bruce

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: March 01, 2012 08:59AM
Thanks Bryce for the interesting post...sure hard to explain as individual hearing, variability settings and headphones all come into play.

Silver coins great...faithful canine companion (priceless)

My daughter just lost hers after 14 years and the silence is deafening...but time heals...and imagine in time she will have another...

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: March 01, 2012 10:24AM
Yet again, an amazing, amazing couple of finds, in the iron, Bryce.

Your posts like this are an inspiration...while I have learned my SE Pro fairly well now, if I tried what you are doing, I'd have a pouch full of nails, and not a single keeper. Your "40%" success rate on this hunt, digging these "iffies," is about, oh, 40% better than I'd do trying such digs at this point. BUT -- you inspire me to learn the skill...

I assume this was with the 10x12 SEF coil? If so, does this coil help you with this SPECIFIC application (versus the Pro coil), i.e. sorting out which are the "falses," and which just MIGHT be the coin/iron mixed targets that sound very SIMILAR to falses -- thereby "upping the odds" a bit, in your favor?

Steve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro (DP)
Garrett ProPointer
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 10:26AM by sgoss66.

Nice job of interpreting the sounds Bryce...
Posted by: Elton
Date: March 01, 2012 04:44PM
Lots of iron mixed in, and your exceptional abilites I'm sure made those recoveries possible.

I have seen very few people manage recoveries hidden like those were in that much iron.. WOW..:thumbup:

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: March 01, 2012 05:45PM
I totally agree with you on the settings aspect of it. Even though I use the E-trac I only have 2 basic screen patterns I use one for trash one for little to no trash. And 4 settings which are just personnal preferences. And I stick to them regardless!

Posted by: grumpymedic
Date: March 01, 2012 08:32PM
Wow..great job Bryce!! Congrats

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login