Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: How many of you thought about quitting detecting for good?
Posted by: Ted S
Date: June 20, 2017 02:38PM
Thank you Tony. Just came back from an hour and a half hunt at that old house a couple of blocks from me. Results were one memorial penny and some short pieces of copper tubing and a gold plated door ornament. The house was built in 1904. So some places have coins and others do not.My point is that as long as I can swing a coil I will hunt. Been doing it since 1976! I am not giving up and neither should you!

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 20, 2017 03:53PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony I think we have all had those kinds of days and streaks. When the good finds stop coming, slow down. Another truth, expect to make a good find and frequently you will, attitude matters. There was this one old park back in NY that Ed loved to hunt but I had the worst luck there. I think I got skunked there maybe 4 or 5 times in a row, I hated that park and was pretty sure I would not find anything there. Then...BANG I found a good coin, then another, finally convinced there was something worth finding coins started popping out everywhere, large cents, Indians, silver, the place was coin heaven. I remain stunned how I ever got skunked hunting that park, other than my sour puss attitude.

I've been to places like that. There was one place my friend and I detected when he was still alive. I called it our silver garden. Every time we'd go there more silvers would pop out of nowhere. Oh for the good old days.
There are probably many millions of coins in parks that no one has found yet due to being masked or standing straight up or too deep for many detectors.

:thumbup:Yea that would make one a believer !!N/T
Posted by: Elton
Date: June 20, 2017 09:52PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

The wisdom of the detecting sage, Charles, has spoken . . .
Date: June 21, 2017 07:26AM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony I think we have all had those kinds of days and streaks. When the good finds stop coming, slow down. Another truth, expect to make a good find and frequently you will, attitude matters. There was this one old park back in NY that Ed loved to hunt but I had the worst luck there. I think I got skunked there maybe 4 or 5 times in a row, I hated that park and was pretty sure I would not find anything there. Then...BANG I found a good coin, then another, finally convinced there was something worth finding coins started popping out everywhere, large cents, Indians, silver, the place was coin heaven. I remain stunned how I ever got skunked hunting that park, other than my sour puss attitude.

Thank you Charles.
Attitude is very important. While getting skunked time after time I begin to doubt myself. Then I begin to think there's just nothing there.
I know there are great finds to be made. I just gotta slow down, keep a positive attitude and above all, ENJOY the peace of mind and ENJOY just
getting out into the great outdoors even if I don't find anything super great.
It does play on my emotions when I go through so much in detecting only to put my tail between my legs and drive home with not much to show for the effort.
But there will be better days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 07:27AM by Tony N (Michigan).

Doubting Thomas' and Scammers and then there's Tom Holiday
Date: June 21, 2017 07:31AM
There used to be a time in my early days when I would come here and wonder if some of the posters weren't purchasing coins on Ebay, throw a little dirt on them
and post a nice picture of "See what I found? I think someone did get busted doing just that. But, this one guy whose name is Tom Holiday and uses an E-trac
does find LOTS of silver. He posts finds on the Michigan Metal detecting club on FaceBook and Andy Sabisch wrote about him in one of the treasure magazines.
He knows where the goodies are. I don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 07:32AM by Tony N (Michigan).

Re: Doubting Thomas' and Scammers and then there's Tom Holiday
Posted by: Kapok
Date: June 21, 2017 07:46AM
Tony N (Michigan)
There used to be a time in my early days when I would come here and wonder if some of the posters weren't purchasing coins on Ebay, throw a little dirt on them
and post a nice picture of "See what I found? I think someone did get busted doing just that. But, this one guy whose name is Tom Holiday and uses an E-trac
does find LOTS of silver. He posts finds on the Michigan Metal detecting club on FaceBook and Andy Sabisch wrote about him in one of the treasure magazines.
Tom lives in the metro Detroit area, and thus has a lot of places to choose from within driving distance.

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Re: Doubting Thomas' and Scammers and then there's Tom Holiday
Date: June 21, 2017 08:12AM
Kapok
Tony N (Michigan)
Tom lives in the metro Detroit area, and thus has a lot of places to choose from within driving distance.

We should put a GPS tracker on his detector and see where he goes. LOL

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: June 21, 2017 10:31AM
One thing I know for certain that Tom does NOT do....dig clad. Purposely avoiding it will up the odds. Say what you will about skewed signals and such....just message him and confirm this thought.

Date: June 21, 2017 11:56AM
IDXMonster
One thing I know for certain that Tom does NOT do....dig clad. Purposely avoiding it will up the odds. Say what you will about skewed signals and such....just message him and confirm this thought.

Tom told me he never digs shallow signals, which I get. But is it really possible to differentiate, say, a clad dime from a silver dime?

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Date: June 21, 2017 12:05PM
Kapok
IDXMonster

Tom told me he never digs shallow signals, which I get. But is it really possible to differentiate, say, a clad dime from a silver dime?

Absolutely it is possible.
It is possible to tell a Barber dime from a Mercury dime. And you can tell both of those as being different from a clad dime with your Explorer.

Date: June 21, 2017 12:59PM
Personally I think going after deep targets is key as long as it's NOT fill dirt. And I can count on one hand the number of times a 04-28 has been silver. I have to see 03/02 but maybe that's the specific tuning of my machine....

Date: June 21, 2017 01:33PM
IDXMonster
And I can count on one hand the number of times a 04-28 has been silver. I have to see 03/02 but maybe that's the specific tuning of my machine....
Does that apply to deep targets as well?

Date: June 21, 2017 01:39PM
Kapok
IDXMonster
And I can count on one hand the number of times a 04-28 has been silver. I have to see 03/02 but maybe that's the specific tuning of my machine....
Does that apply to deep targets as well?

Very deep coins will not only bounce on your main screen, the numbers in digital mode will also not lock on to one set of numbers. In this case you are going mainly by hearing that nice high tone.
Also, in the case of deep coins, there will be a specific pattern emerge on your main screen where, if it is a deep quarter, the cursor will jump from far upper right across to the left and back again.
Again, develop your hearing for what a silver sounds like both close to the coil and at it's furthest detectable distance from your detector.

Date: June 21, 2017 05:48PM
It does seem just to the way Tony described....but the difference is MOST of the time in my sites I run Semi Auto. It's like the cutoff at which it will detect a target is ALSO the cutoff at which it will ID it with a good degree of accuracy. Using Manual Sens and flirting with 9-10" targets? Better dig anything even close....

Posted by: tiftaaft
Date: June 21, 2017 06:04PM
To me, metal detecting has a lot of similarities to golf. I spent 30 years playing golf and working hard at improving my game. And as they say... it only takes one pure shot to keep you coming back. Metal detecting for me is very similar. It only takes that one pure moment where you hear a tone and dig that treasure, and it hooks you for a bit longer. I have been very fortunate to uncover a few amazing (for me) finds recently... items I never thought I would be able to find.. It isn't for the faint of heart... it takes work, and tests your patience, but those are the reasons I love it. Greatest hobby out there as far as I'm concerned.

My two cents (IH 1902 and IH 1906 ;))

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login