Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Dead Explorer?
Posted by: Kapok
Date: July 05, 2017 07:47AM
At this point the safest thing to do is send it to MSR. It could be any number of things, and I'd rather have an expert look at it than have Mr. All Thumbs here mucking around with the electronics. I'll keep you posted.

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Date: July 06, 2017 02:58PM
Shipped off to MSR today. Now we wait...

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Date: July 12, 2017 01:41PM
$198 to fix it and ship it back. Power PCB problems. As they described it, "2 x caps and NP fet blown". I'm hoping they can enlighten me on what that means.

Anyway, not a happy camper, but at this point it is what it is and I hope to be back in service soon.

Posted by: BigTony
Date: July 12, 2017 03:08PM
Yeah, that stings for sure but I am glad to hear you will back at it very soon.
Good luck when it comes back.

BigTony

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: July 12, 2017 03:51PM
Kapok
$198 to fix it and ship it back. Power PCB problems. As they described it, "2 x caps and NP fet blown". I'm hoping they can enlighten me on what that means.

Anyway, not a happy camper, but at this point it is what it is and I hope to be back in service soon.

I'm not sure what those parts are either. Just don't know why they decided to take a dump right after you got the detector.

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: July 12, 2017 05:33PM
The FET is a transistor.My guess is that one of the 2 capacitors mentioned shorted, taking out the second cap, and the FET. The NP label is logocally an NPN, with an N left off.

Inexpensive components. They may be replacing the entire power board.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: July 12, 2017 06:00PM
After learning this Explorer, that little hiccup will soon be forgotten...I promise! Ever wonder WHY so many people have one or are in the market for one? It's really no secret,and as I've said before...they are COIN GOBBLING MONSTERS! Even in places that were thought to be devoid of coins...

Date: July 12, 2017 06:35PM
IDXMonster
After learning this Explorer, that little hiccup will soon be forgotten...I promise! Ever wonder WHY so many people have one or are in the market for one? It's really no secret,and as I've said before...they are COIN GOBBLING MONSTERS! Even in places that were thought to be devoid of coins...

IMO, the Explorer beats my recently bought Etrac in getting or gobbling coins as you stated. It does bite at $198 if they just replace the components, The thing with owning a discontinued model is they have you by the short hairs.

I've thought a few times that I'd been better to have bought a second Explorer to back up the first. Good thing is that if they replace the power board...you'll likely never have any failures again. The PB appears to be primary in reliability.

Date: July 12, 2017 08:33PM
5900_XL-1
IDXMonster

IMO, the Explorer beats my recently bought Etrac in getting or gobbling coins as you stated. It does bite at $198 if they just replace the components, The thing with owning a discontinued model is they have you by the short hairs.

I've thought a few times that I'd been better to have bought a second Explorer to back up the first. Good thing is that if they replace the power board...you'll likely never have any failures again. The PB appears to be primary in reliability.

I really lucked out and purchased a brand new, in the box, full warranty Explorer SE Pro a couple months ago. I still have my Explorer XS and will never let go of it.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: July 13, 2017 10:14PM
Tony N (Michigan)
5900_XL-1
IDXMonster

I really lucked out and purchased a brand new, in the box, full warranty Explorer SE Pro a couple months ago. I still have my Explorer XS and will never let go of it.

I didn't know your SE was new in the box Tony! I'd like to think that maybe somewhere...somehow....there are more sitting in storage closets or on dusty shelves behind other things...small dealers who have closed up and the estate doesn't know what they have....HEY! I can dream,can't I? Maybe a whole STACK of them!

Date: July 13, 2017 11:27PM
IDXMonster
Tony N (Michigan)
5900_XL-1
IDXMonster

I didn't know your SE was new in the box Tony! I'd like to think that maybe somewhere...somehow....there are more sitting in storage closets or on dusty shelves behind other things...small dealers who have closed up and the estate doesn't know what they have....HEY! I can dream,can't I? Maybe a whole STACK of them!

They still exit. Saw one on Fleabay tonight, new in box never opened, MInelab said it was coverec for 3 years. $850.

Date: July 14, 2017 07:56AM

They still exit. Saw one on Fleabay tonight, new in box never opened, MInelab said it was coverec for 3 years. $850.
But if it broke, would you have to send it to Minelab to be fixed or to some other place like MSR? I've heard that Minelab repairs can take a minimum of 6 weeks.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: July 14, 2017 11:39AM
$198 sounds reasonable glad it was simple inexpensive components. Tear down, troubleshooting, repair, re-assembly, and shipping from the UK plus their insane 28% tax rate over there plus all their other duties. Anytime I deal with the UK its expensive.

Date: July 14, 2017 11:54AM
IDXMonster
Tony N (Michigan)
5900_XL-1
IDXMonster

I just happened to see a detector store in Hawaii that bought out another detector store and there was one Explorer SE Pro they had for sale. It cost me around $800.00 but I thought that was still a great deal especially with 3 year warranty.

Date: July 14, 2017 02:54PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
$198 sounds reasonable glad it was simple inexpensive components. Tear down, troubleshooting, repair, re-assembly, and shipping from the UK plus their insane 28% tax rate over there plus all their other duties. Anytime I deal with the UK its expensive.
It boggles my mind that Minelab has no reasonable solution to repairs in the US other than Kelllyco, which, from what I hear is a bit of a hot mess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login