Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Dead Explorer?
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: July 14, 2017 05:58PM
It's just a matter of finding electronics techs who are good enough to actually repair the units the first time and...don't need to make much money doing it. If the field paid more,people would be interested in getting into it.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: July 14, 2017 07:43PM
Kapok
Charles (Upstate NY)
$198 sounds reasonable glad it was simple inexpensive components. Tear down, troubleshooting, repair, re-assembly, and shipping from the UK plus their insane 28% tax rate over there plus all their other duties. Anytime I deal with the UK its expensive.
It boggles my mind that Minelab has no reasonable solution to repairs in the US other than Kelllyco, which, from what I hear is a bit of a hot mess.

I believe that somehow, can't remember how, but Kellyco lost one of their really good repairmen.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: July 14, 2017 08:16PM
IDXMonster
It's just a matter of finding electronics techs who are good enough to actually repair the units the first time and...don't need to make much money doing it. If the field paid more,people would be interested in getting into it.

I know someone in this field who worked in a US repair facility, they went belly up a couple years ago. Detectors aside we live in a throw away and buy new era.

Posted by: Kapok
Date: July 14, 2017 08:41PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
IDXMonster

I know someone in this field who worked in a US repair facility, they went belly up a couple years ago. Detectors aside we live in a throw away and buy new era.
Sad but true...

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Date: July 14, 2017 08:59PM
Yep. Same reason good small engine techs are rare as hens teeth. Who's going to spend 200 bucks repairing their mower they bought for 250? Nobody.

Date: July 14, 2017 11:01PM
Remember the days of TV repairmen who'd come to your house, swap out tubes, adjust the vertical hold? Hard to believe now. I guess I'm showing my age...

Ridding the world of pulltabs, one plug at a time | Makro Racer 2 | Minelab Explorer SE

Date: July 15, 2017 05:37PM
Not so much showing your age as showing another example of how fast things are changing. Some of it for the better,some not.

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 17, 2017 07:00PM
IDXM .....Nobody ? .....I will !!........If you saw how the new motors are bullt in the NEW mowers , you would be WISE to buy an old battlewagon that will last you much longer than a new mower , and just rebuild it ...... Get an older Toro or an older John Deere mower and get some new parts for it rather than blowing $1,000 -$2,000 for a new mower that will (IF YOU"RE LUCKY ) last you a couple of years !!.....

Date: July 22, 2017 08:27AM
Got my Explorer back yesterday from MSR. Looking forward to trying it out with the Pro coil.

Date: July 22, 2017 04:21PM
Kapok
Got my Explorer back yesterday from MSR. Looking forward to trying it out with the Pro coil.

Alright! Now you're cooking! Let us know how it goes....

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: July 22, 2017 08:18PM
IDXMonster
Kapok

Alright! Now you're cooking! Let us know how it goes....

Yes please keep us posted!

Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: August 06, 2017 07:09PM
I had a similar fault on my Explorer SE and was cured by replacing a bulging electrolytic capacitor on the power supply board inside the machine.
Cost approx. £1 for the capacitor. Mine started switching its self off for no reason and intermittent start up.
and over a few months it just packed in and would not start. Replacing the capacitor cleared all the faults. I put a high quality Panasonic capacitor in as a replacement , the original fitted in the machine was of relatively poor quality.

Date: August 07, 2017 11:04PM
synthnut
IDXM .....Nobody ? .....I will !!........If you saw how the new motors are bullt in the NEW mowers , you would be WISE to buy an old battlewagon that will last you much longer than a new mower , and just rebuild it ...... Get an older Toro or an older John Deere mower and get some new parts for it rather than blowing $1,000 -$2,000 for a new mower that will (IF YOU"RE LUCKY ) last you a couple of years !!.....

Sorry I'm really late on this Synth..I meant someone who DID buy one of today's mowers with the plastic carbs and "foil thin" deck...in about 2001 I got into parting out IH Cub Cadets due to owning one and needing parts...then seeing what the demand was! There isn't a dead Cub in a 50 mile radius of my house,as I parted out close to 150 of them over 6-7 years. The old K series single cylinder engines were possibly the BEST engine to ever be put on a mower/garden tractor,IMHO. To spend money rebuilding an old Cub or Deere or Power King...of course I would. To spend money on my 2015 Poulan push mower that just died a horrible death?(no I don't actually have one)...I most certainly would not! But your point is taken...older generation of products many times had quality and integrity built in. It's really too bad we just don't see that as much any more.
My handle on eBay is "dieseladdict". Almost ALL of my 630+ feedback is from parting old Cubs...LOVE my Cubs!

Posted by: lytle78
Date: August 08, 2017 08:25AM
There are three US detector manufacturers who all seem to be able to handle repairs without long delays. Each of them have their repair facility as part of the factory. This way they have access to all relevant spare parts, good feedback with engineering and manufacturing resources to address issues of common failure modes via redesign or changes to assembly processes. They also sell very high volumes of detectors without having return rates which swamp their repair capabilities.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: August 08, 2017 08:33AM
lytle78
There are three US detector manufacturers who all seem to be able to handle repairs without long delays. Each of them have their repair facility as part of the factory. This way they have access to all relevant spare parts, good feedback with engineering and manufacturing resources to address issues of common failure modes via redesign or changes to assembly processes. They also sell very high volumes of detectors without having return rates which swamp their repair capabilities.

Could you please tell us who they are, inquiring minds want to know!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login