Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Will Minelab put out a detector like the CTX 3030 to replace the E-trac?
Posted by: Nuke em
Date: July 18, 2017 01:28PM
Tony N (Michigan)
Nuke em

Minelab already got rid of many people that knew what they were doing . Getting taken over by Codan and having shareholders has done a lot of harm . They need people that know detecting , young or old . The best companies that do the most business in the relic side have this . Minelab used too .

I didn't know they got taken over and got rid of many people. Let's hope they do the right thing.

10 Years ago Minelab was the rave but now its XP everywhere , except the beach .
They got rid of many of the older wiser people in the company that knew their stuff and as far as i am concerned when they got shot of Des Dunne they might as well have put a 44 Magnum to their heads .
The CTX is no matter what people would like to think a failure here in Europe , in the UK their sales must be 1 or less for every 10 Deus in recent years .
Yes they sell and many more than the ET now but thats because people that want a waterproof ET have no choice but i wont go down that road again .
In fact i am going to buy an Excalibur 11 for the wet sand and water detecting , its not that i like it much and i dont like the weight !! but it is the only choice really other than the PI machines or a few others like the Sand Shark or a Whites whatever ?
Getting shot of the Sovereign and the Explorer SE without a proper replacement has cost them dear too .
I know several that have said that and they always say Minelab are too heavy .

As for the CTX being lighter than the ET , its not and with a RNB battery in the ET its even lighter , just less well balanced . The CTX is heavy and the only way they made it feel lighter is making it too far backward balanced which means you have to wear the Arm Strap , yuk.

Anyway we must live in hope that someone with savvy will take the rains of Minelab and put it at the top of the game again .

All we hear of is new Gold machine here and new Gold machine there .

And i wonder why they made the GPZ 7000 like the CTX ? was it because they had far fewer sales of the CTX than they thought and didn't want to lose all that investment in the mouldings machines and assembly line making them ?

I have heard that a new machine is coming but i think it will be a Terra replacement and unfortunately my detecting is changing again so i wont be needing one probably so i am back to the ET replacement if there is one ?

And the CTX is not the ET replacement , someone told me that a while ago who knows .

Uses = Minelab E.Trac , Minelab Explorer 11 (might sell) , Minelab Explorer XS , Minelab Equinox 800 plus 15x12 inch coil (ordered) plus 1 x 800 maybe? (THAT DEPEND ON WET SALT BEACH CAPABILITY) , Garrett Probes , Gray Ghost/ Nugget Busters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 01:29PM by Nuke em.

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: July 18, 2017 03:48PM
IDXMonster
Tony,this might be going slightly off track as far as what you want out of detecting,as opposed to what you are willing to pay to do it. A gallon of milk at my local store costs 3.29. I don't want to pay that. I have choices. I can begrudgingly pull out my wallet,or...not buy it. Cereal tastes like @#$%& with water. So I buy it.
Capitalism, unfortunately, doesn't give a single rats ass about what people WANT to pay. Also, capitalists don't have ANY reason to sell something for a penny less than what a satisfactory number of customers are WILLING to pay.
COULD Minelab put together a feather light machine(something I'm not sure they have EVER done)? Maybe. To say that their engineering team is inadequate(or ANY detector companies engineering team is inadequate for that matter) is seemingly driven by your frustration about primarily the price,followed by perhaps the weight.
I can tell you for sure...for the CTX with stock coil,UR-30 phones and WM10(standard pack?) I paid NOWHERE NEAR 3,000$. Yes,brand new. I won't give specifics because it varies a bit amongst dealers and I won't float any pricing info as it may have changed up or down since I bought mine last year.
Lastly....if you have hammered the living snot out of your areas for the last 40 years, don't expect the CTX to be some sort of magician at getting those places flowing again. In certain types of ground IF you had been using only single freq machines before...maybe. But you haven't. Your real dilemma is finding places that actually have coins in them anymore. That's EVERYONES dilemma. Without getting onto private property you're just going to have to get really lucky. CTX or CTX-Lite....the coins have to be there to begin with.

Good luck my friend!

Kevin

Excellent thoughts, Kevin.
So why pay thousands of dollars for a machine if people don't want you on their property? Maybe it's just best to buy a $250.00 Garrett?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2017 03:51PM by Tony N (Michigan).

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 18, 2017 05:44PM
I have to agree with Kevin also ...You can't detect coins and other finds that are not there !!...... A lot of my dig's have been gone over and over so many times that you have to listen for whispers now ......Those "in your face " tones are tones of yesterday .....The only time you are gonna hear those are on beaches that get replenished every day ...... You might find some clad down there but as far as the old Silver coins , unless you get onto some old area's , you're outa luck ....I'm trying to remember the link to a site that had overlays of area's and what was there years ago ...Maybe you guys know what I"m talking about ..... The site would bring you back in time for the area that you where looking at .....It would show were old homes or buildings where back in the day .....If it's not completely filled over with new dirt , you might stand a chance at some place like that .....

Date: July 18, 2017 06:20PM
synthnut
I have to agree with Kevin also ...You can't detect coins and other finds that are not there !!...... A lot of my dig's have been gone over and over so many times that you have to listen for whispers now ......Those "in your face " tones are tones of yesterday .....The only time you are gonna hear those are on beaches that get replenished every day ...... You might find some clad down there but as far as the old Silver coins , unless you get onto some old area's , you're outa luck ....I'm trying to remember the link to a site that had overlays of area's and what was there years ago ...Maybe you guys know what I"m talking about ..... The site would bring you back in time for the area that you where looking at .....It would show were old homes or buildings where back in the day .....If it's not completely filled over with new dirt , you might stand a chance at some place like that .....

That would be neat to see.

Date: July 18, 2017 06:27PM
Southwind
Honestly, who is paying $2,500 for a CTX 3030? You can get them much cheaper than that. Darn near half that. I owned several CTX 3030's and never paid more than $1,800 for any of them.

I thought the CTX 3030 felt much lighter than the E-Trac.

Without a doubt the target ID is more accurate and at a great depth.

I'd call it an improved E-Trac II

You can buy a CTX 3030 right now on Ebay for $3,047.00. But there are cheaper ones too.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: July 18, 2017 06:39PM
I think it's "Historic Aerials".....is that the one Synthnut? I should've looked before I started typing....

Tony, I totally get it. I had your discussion on the other forum a couple years ago when I had my IDXPro and was questioning the sensibilities of spending big money for finding a bit of silver. Fast forward a year....my wife happened to trip over a large amount of money and I bought the CTX only because the circumstances allowed, not because I thought it was going to be a money maker. If that had not happpend...there's no way I would've bought it. I flat out couldn't afford to. With the machines you currently have I'm just not sure that you're missing much in your places. You might be missing GOOD PLACES but if you've gone through and really worked your areas thoroughly, it very well may be a monumental letdown in the finds category. In iron,running in Ferrous,with slower and more deliberate sweeping, I've actually found my Explorer2 to be absolutely satisfactory in performance and finding non-Ferrous items. Attach the Sunray X-5 or X-8 and it's all over but the digging...not many targets are going to be safe from detection.
I get the "private property" thing too, some guys go whole hog, others just don't see it as a viable hunting option because of all the "what ifs" during the conversation and even after. Friends and family first,then branch out....I'm not telling you anything new here. It can be a @#$%& trying to find a viable place to hunt. We more often than not find ourselves kicking the crap out of some burnt out spot because it's ALL WE HAVE. Personally,I'm thinking of maybe giving gold a shot for the rest of the season,because I'm in a similar situation. I don't care for begging to hunt someone's yard and I'm too hot headed to be nice if someone winds up being a cocksucker. So off I go, down to the park to see if my skills will let me have a coin today, or I go home with dirt in my pockets and a trunk full of grass clippings...
FWIW....I have done my best BY FAR in old ball fields. Just FYI.....

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: July 19, 2017 12:53PM
This is why I like beach hunting, the gold and silver is replenished daily either by beach goers or the ocean coughing up some of its older buried loot. And with the price of gold these days it doesn't take much to pay off an expensive detector. Easy sand digging, no bending over, no kneeling. :thumbup:

Date: July 19, 2017 03:56PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
This is why I like beach hunting, the gold and silver is replenished daily either by beach goers or the ocean coughing up some of its older buried loot. And with the price of gold these days it doesn't take much to pay off an expensive detector. Easy sand digging, no bending over, no kneeling. :thumbup:

That's why I wish I lived back in Californication.
I flew out there on business once with my detector. Hit the beaches and had a large glad bag half filled with coins and other goodies. When I was ready to go home the TSA guy at the airport reached into my carry-on and lifted up my bag. The look on his face was priceless. I smiled and said "I metal detect." He looked at the bag and he slowly lowered it into the carry-on in disbelief.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: August 21, 2017 10:34PM
Kevin, I agree with everything you said in your last post. Boy, did you hit the nail on the head with that! I had to laugh out loud at how much I relate to all of what you said!

Tony, I love your story about California. One of my best detecting buddies has a daughter who lives in California, and when he goes out there to visit her, a couple of times a year, he detects, too.

This past trip, he hunted some at the beach, some on turf. In the week he was there, along with several silver coins from the turf, I believe he dug like 40 dollars in quarters, and another 40 or so in dimes! And you won't believe the ring he found on the beach. Let's just say that if each finger is worth $1000, you don't have enough fingers on your hand to reach the number of thousands this ring was appraised for! LOL!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login