Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Explorer SE Touch sensitive + unstable
Posted by: IntoTheWild1995
Date: August 25, 2017 07:55AM
First thank you a lot for your answer i really appreciate.
After reading what you said it's becoming more clear. today i opened the coil because there was a hole on the "cover" in the bottom. after opening it surprise there was water and sand inside. then there is still isolation with Epoxy but there is hole's too around the epoxy at some place as i show in the picture.
Maybe water goes inside and rust destroyed the shield no ?
Do you think that there is a way to repair the coil anyway ?
Next week im supposed to receive the 15x12 coil but it would be cool to have the 2 coil because the other one is very heavy and large.
the problem is that the epoxy is very strong and i don't see how i could take off the coil and try to repair the shield.
And an other thing, how can i test if the box is grounded ? i got multimeter and i know how to use it but i don't know how metal detector works.
Thank you again for this precious post.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: August 25, 2017 10:43AM
Yep that's the problem with your coil. The outer shell is separating and exposing the shielding paint. Shielding paint cannot have any path to the outside world it must be completely encased in epoxy e.g. electrically insulated. You have a good shot at repairing this coil, go buy some marine epoxy at the hardware store coat that area that's split open, let it soak into the crack and seal it up. Make sure the coil has dried obviously if its been wet.

Even if your coil is in perfect condition be advised that sand, black sand especially, and even inland dirt when it gets sandwiched between the coil and coil scuff cover and gets wet this is a recipe for unstable false prone operation, even if your coil and machine are in perfect working order. I won't even use a scuff cover when beach hunting for this reason.

If you are beach/water hunting with this coil you might consider removing the scuff cover permanently, and instead brush a coat of epoxy on entire bottom of the coil e.g. brush on scuff cover that sand/water can't get penetrate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 10:59AM by Charles (Upstate NY).

Date: August 25, 2017 11:05AM
As for testing the ground, you want to switch your multi-meter to conduct a continuity test e.g. if there is an electrically conductive path between the two test points your meter will confirm this. Honestly I doubt its worth the effort given the photos of your coil and opening the control box to access the ground wire is not quick and easy.

Date: August 25, 2017 01:16PM
Thank you again for the answer, i will do what you said but just a thing, how to dry the coil and how to be sure that it's dry inside ?
Thank you a lot :smile:

Date: August 26, 2017 12:34AM
The coil is solid cast epoxy so if there is any water in there its just going to be along the edge of the plastic outer coil shell where its separated, water can't soak into the coil elsewhere its completely sealed, think solid block of epoxy plastic. I would think if its been indoors for a day or two that separated area is sufficiently dried out by now.

The original Explorer I and II coils are different construction. They had a plastic outer clam shell. Inside this outer shell was the coil, cast in poured epoxy, painted with shielding paint and a drain wire wrapped around it. This inner coil was suspended on some foam pads inside the clam shell. Your slimline coil is completely different construction, yours is an ABS outer plastic shell completely filled with poured in epoxy, no air no gaps. Its unfortunate that the outer ABS plastic shell separated from the poured in epoxy but that happens, not just on that coil or just on Minelab that can happen to any cast epoxy coil which most manufactures sell.

Date: August 26, 2017 12:38AM
I should mention, the Explorer SE Pro 11 inch coil is far superior to the slimline coil you have. Best coil Minelab has ever designed for the Explorers. I have years of beach hunting on mine and its still going strong. Excellent on small jewelry, deep, stable, slim and light weight for a ML coil. Save up and switch over to that coil you will be much happier.

Date: August 26, 2017 08:13AM
Thanks again for your answer, presuming that the coil is dry, it should not do false signal right ? because it's still doing false signal and hand detecting but it seems to be really dry. Or maybe i really need to put epoxy and then it will stop false signal ?
I am sorry if i disturb you but i am new in this kind of stuff.
Thank you

Date: August 26, 2017 08:47AM
IntoTheWild1995
Thanks again for your answer, presuming that the coil is dry, it should not do false signal right ? because it's still doing false signal and hand detecting but it seems to be really dry. Or maybe i really need to put epoxy and then it will stop false signal ?
I am sorry if i disturb you but i am new in this kind of stuff.
Thank you

That's not good news. When the shell peeled away from the poured epoxy it must have taken the shielding paint with it peeling it off the poured epoxy coil. There's no fixing that. Its not enough to simply seal that gap, the coil has to be completely shielded in the shielding paint and the shielding paint itself then also encased in epoxy. Sealing the gap now would still leave an area of the coil unshielded.

Date: August 26, 2017 10:51AM
if i break the side where there is the hole and put shield paint do you think that it will work ?
or is there any way to repair it ?

Date: August 26, 2017 01:24PM
In theory you would have to cut away the outer shell in the area where its separated, apply shielding paint to the damaged area, hopefully part of the shielding drain wire is exposed. Its not enough to just apply the shielding paint it has to be electrically connected to the rest of the shielding paint and/or drain wire. Then you would have to seal this area back up in epoxy.

The shielding paint is kind of nasty stuff chemically. Also you can't use just any shielding paint you need carbon black shielding paint. There are many other types of spray on shielding paint, nickel based, copper based, but they are actually too electrically conductive the Explorer can detect them. The shielding paint has to be electrically conductive but not too conductive.

Date: August 26, 2017 01:33PM
Looking at your 3rd picture I think its worse than I thought. Its not the outer ABS plastic shell that's peeling away, its the inner plastic shell I think that coil is a lost cause. Here's how the coil is assembled for reference. There is a thin inner plastic shell, the copper coil windings are placed in this shell, then epoxy is poured in encasing the windings. Then this inner coil is completely covered in shielding paint. Then this inner coil assembly is placed into the outer ABS plastic shell, again epoxy is poured in encasing the inner coil completely in epoxy.

Date: August 26, 2017 02:15PM
The coil seems to be really dead then. I will salvage the cable and the plug part. Thank you mate and when i got the other coil i will post here the news. thanks again really

Date: August 28, 2017 03:03PM
Hi guys, i still not have received the coil but before having it i was doing some test and i made a third video of something a bit scary i don't know if it's normal without the coil make noise alone if i touch the plug part or something just when i shake the detector.
I let you see the video it explain better than long message.
anyone know if it's normal or ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvD-066VtM

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: August 28, 2017 07:06PM
The Explorer is not a tool,it is a finely tuned instrument! The cable would not be yanked and slapped around like that under normal searching conditions,so don't do it now! When I hear of other people having problems with their machines I wonder at times exactly what these machines are being put through. Do NOT yank,slap or otherwise torture the machine unnecessarily...if it doesn't have any real problem right now it will if you keep doing that!
Wait for the coil and go hunt. Be patient!

Date: August 28, 2017 07:22PM
Okay public service announcement, don't shake your Explorer bad idea.

The guts of an Explorer are very well secured except for the ferrite bead. This ferrite bead in the control box, a ferrite tube really about 3/4 inch long, is used to suppress high frequency noise. The 2 battery wires and 3 headphone wires pass through this bead, even bundled together these wires are quite thin and flexible. You are shaking that bead around.

I also don't recommend shaking the coil cable connector. The first 3 inches of TX and RX wire behind the connector are molded in rubber. There is a slot molded into the rubber which the two halves of the control box pinch on but its really just a dust shield it doesn't have a death grip on the rubber portion. Inside the control box you have another 3 inches or so of TX and RX wire that is not molded in rubber, they are just soldered to the circuit boards. By shaking the connector like that its entirely possible to yank on those wires a bit. Also don't be touching the bare TX and RX pins on the connector.

Running an Explorer indoors, as you likely know if you turn on your machine with a coil attached indoors the 50/60 cycle electrical in your house, lights, anything else running off power will be picked up by the detector. The coil and cable are basically an antenna. By disconnecting the coil you have removed 'most' of the antenna that will pick up this electrical interference but not all, you still have about 7 total inches of TX and RX cable from the connector to the circuit boards. Lowering the sensitivity to 1-5 or so should eliminate any interference indoors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login