Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
In Andy Sabisch's Explorer & E-trac handbook . . .
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 08, 2017 03:01PM
In Andy Sabisch's Explorer & E-trac Handbook on page 75 and 76, he writes about a guy who uses these settings for his Explorer XS:

Variability: 8
Limits: 10
Threshold Tone: 5

I tried these settings and fail to see how it helps.
The guy said he doesn't like high pitched sounds and that is why he set it up this way.
He said these settings give better separation between tones.
He also said it is best for a newbie to get these three options set to what you like the best and leave them alone and never touch them again.
He said for him that these settings provide (for him) the best separation between clad and silver.

I tried a clad dime and silver dime on my XS and the digital numbers are the same as well as the audible sounds between each. Am I tone deaf? I don't think so.

I am learning a lot of great information concerning my new E-trac in this book and encourage anyone with an E-trac or Explorer to get the book.

Re: In Andy Sabisch's Explorer & E-trac handbook . . .
Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 08, 2017 03:14PM
Hearing varies from person to person, that you can tailor the Explorer to meet the particular needs of an individual is a good thing. I think they got the Limits and Variability backwards, perhaps a misprint.

Date: September 08, 2017 03:17PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Hearing varies from person to person, that you can tailor the Explorer to meet the particular needs of an individual is a good thing. I think they got the Limits and Variability backwards, perhaps a misprint.

I changed them around and still cannot hear any difference between a silver dime and a clad dime.

Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: September 08, 2017 03:30PM
Tony...I know you normally run Ferrous sounds but make sure it's in Ferrous. In conductive I get no difference in tone. In Ferrous I MIGHT....depends on the particular dimes in question.

Date: September 08, 2017 03:31PM
This is with variability at 10....

Date: September 08, 2017 03:48PM
Ferrous doesn't differentiate between the sound of a silver dime and clad dime for me.

Date: September 08, 2017 04:03PM
Tony N (Michigan)
Ferrous doesn't differentiate between the sound of a silver dime and clad dime for me.

Switch to noise channel 1

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 08, 2017 05:06PM
Interesting, Charles. Will try that. BUT -- a note for folks who may be unaware -- noise channel 1 (or really, any channel that strays from a "mid-point" noise channel, like 5 or 6) will throw off the "nickel" ID. (All IDs get skewed a bit, but it's particularly noticeable if you are someone who tries to pick nickels from the trash).

To elaborate...for me, a relatively shallow nickel (i.e. under 5-6") is 08-06, 09-06, 10-06, something like that, when running a "mid-point" noise cancel channel. Meanwhile, a beaver tail is just below that, at 10-05 or 11-05, and many stay-tabs are just above -- 08-07 or 09-07. Obviously, this could be talked about in terms of cursor position, as well, for smartfind screen users. ANYWAY, my point is, dropping noise cancel channel down to 1 or 2 drops my nickel CO numbers down to 05, while on the other hand, moving the noise cancel channel up to 9 or 10 increases the nickel CO numbers to 07...

This is a minor thing, but it can throw you off at first, as nickels -- in particular -- will read (and sound) different, with noise cancel channels set to either extreme end of the scale. If you move noise cancel to 1, while you usually run it at say 5, I bet you will dig a WHOLE BUNCH of Coke-can stay-tabs that gave what you would swear were a perfect nickel signal. To dig nickels at noise cancel 1, you gotta dig the "beaver tail" signals...

(Note, I may have this backwards in my memory, as I haven't done it in a long time; noise-channel 1 may move the nickel CO number UP by one, not down, with channel 10 thus moving the CO number down by 1, not up...but I think it's the other way around -- down one on the CO number at channel 1 (down to 05), and up one on the CO number at channel 10 (up to 07). Either way, moving the noise cancel to either extreme end of the spectrum does alter ID numbers of your targets a bit; an air test will confirm).

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Date: September 08, 2017 05:09PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony N (Michigan)

No difference in sound between a clad dime and silver dime on noise channel 1.

Date: September 08, 2017 05:28PM
From a previous post a while back...

Channel 6 vs Channel 1

Barber Dime 1 changed from 03/29 to 02/30
Barber Dime 2 changed from 04/28 to 03/30
Bust Dime changed from 04/28 to 00/30
Coin Ring 1 changed from 03/30 to 01/30
Coin Ring 2 changed from 00/28 to 00/29
1853 Large Cent changed from 00/28 to 00/30
3 Cent Silver changed from 08/20 to 07/24
Seated Half Dime changed from 06/27 to 05/28
Bust Half changed from 00/29 to 00/30
1786 NJ Colonial changed from 00/29 to 00/30
1921 Silver Dollar changed from 00/27 to 00/28
1776 8 Reale changed from 00/28 to 00/29
1751 8 Reale was unchanged both channels were 00/28

Next I tested Barber Dime 2 on all 11 noise channels, twice to confirm, here are the results...interesting
Channel 1 - 03/30
Channel 2 - 03/29
Channel 3 - 03/29
Channel 4 - 04/28
Channel 5 - 04/28
Channel 6 - 04/28 to 29
Channel 7 - 04/28 to 29
Channel 8 - 04/28 to 05/28
Channel 9 - 05/28
Channel 10 - 05/28
Channel 11 - 05/28

Date: September 08, 2017 05:30PM
Tony N (Michigan)
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony N (Michigan)

What coil?

Date: September 08, 2017 06:18PM
Distance from coil may be a factor....I tested them with the X-1 at close range.

Date: September 08, 2017 07:58PM
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony N (Michigan)
Charles (Upstate NY)
Tony N (Michigan)

What coil?

The stock coil that came with my XS.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 08, 2017 10:33PM
VERY interesting post, regarding the numbers at different noise cancel channels, Charles.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: synthnut
Date: September 10, 2017 09:56AM
Different noise channels can change the numbers .......... looking on the Internet for a VID chart showed numbers that I never got ...... A lot of tones and numbers came up the same for different coins..... especially on the Explorer......and yes, Andys book is a great read......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2017 09:57AM by synthnut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login