Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Finally an Indian Head cent
Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 14, 2017 05:59PM
Finally an Indian Head cent - 1905 - just crazy the darn thing danced across the screen from right to left but below where dimes and pennies display.

I had asked folks here awhile back about where they land because I wasn't finding them. Someone said to check out the sticky notes top of the forum.
I read that many times before and have to say this bounce wasn't from low right to almost top left (Under the cent) as in the sticky notes.
So I am wondering if those sticky notes were from an Explorer XS or my Explorer is set up a little different.
No brag or complaint just plain happy. Funny it the little things that make us happy.

BigTony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 06:01PM by BigTony.

Re: Finally an Indian Head cent
Posted by: IDXMonster
Date: September 14, 2017 09:12PM
Awesome Tony! I've seen two Indians do the walk up the stairs,it's unmistakeable. Great find,go find more!

Date: September 14, 2017 09:26PM
IDXmonster, that's just the thing....it wasn't stairs....it went straight across from right to left.....just glad I was watching the screen

BigTony

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 14, 2017 09:56PM
BigTony --

Great job!

I don't hunt with the smartfind screen, I use the numbers. However, there is obviously direct correlation between the two. Most of the Indians I dig hit very much like a deep zinc penny. Conductive number is usually around 24-25, sometimes as low as 23 on a deep one. That would be, like you said, toward the top of the screen but below a penny. On the ferrous side, the deeper Indians' FE number usually varies from the high single digits up into the teens, bouncing back and forth between these values as I sweep repeatedly over the target -- which would equate to left-and-right bouncing of the cursor on the smartfind screen. So, it sounds to me like what you experienced is what I'd expect, based on the numbers I usually get on a deep Indian. I'm guessing yours was 6-7" deep, based on the behavior on your screen? A shallower one, say 3-4", would usually be much more stable of an ID (i.e. very close to the air-test value which for me is most often around 07-24 or so). A deeper one (8-10") would be more bouncy and unstable ID-wise, most times.

Steve

Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Fisher F19
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Posted by: tiftaaft
Date: September 14, 2017 11:16PM
Congrats Tony. The Indian I found earlier this summer with the SE Pro is my favorite find.

Posted by: MikeO
Date: September 15, 2017 12:11AM
Yes, they can bounce varying degrees. Nothing is written in stone as the stickies give you an idea not a guarantee.
There are things like surrounding iron, soil, and angle of coin in soil that all can play a part in exactly how they translate onto the screen.
Nice job on recovering it for the save. Now you have a good idea to what to exspect. Keep in mind things vary though.
Deep bouncers are ones to go after/investigate as many times they are the real deeper keepers.

Detecting since 1979
Findmall member since 2000
Became a dedicated Minelab user in 2000 with a XS

Favorite find ever a 1834 Half Dime (15 years ago)
Oldest coin ever found a 1734 Real (11 years ago)

One of my favotites from 2012 season an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1795264,1795264#msg-1795264

Favorite coin from 2013 season an 1835 Capped Bust Dime.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1962866,1962866

Favorite coin of 2014 so far an 1849 Large Cent.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2034861,2034861#msg-2034861

Favorite Silver of 2014 an 1854 Seated Half Dime.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2106714

A hunt that will likely never be repeated. Silver Three Center and Seated.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2115392,2115392#msg-2115392

Oldest and largest for 2015 so far 1807 KG
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2167872,2167872#msg-2167872

Posted by: JeffInMass
Date: September 15, 2017 06:28AM
Congrats on your first of many- Continued success to you!

-- Jeff --

Re: Thanks JeffN/T
Date: September 15, 2017 07:07AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

BigTony

Re: Tiffaft - I understand they are not an easy findN/T
Date: September 15, 2017 07:08AM

BigTony

Date: September 15, 2017 07:29AM
Steve, most times I would agree, they should be deep.
This one was 3 inches down and came in at a 07 26 - plain penny signal for Fer/Cond numbers.
This field has red clay base but when it is very wet I do find targets that are deeper. So this find was a good surprise that I wasn't expecting because of the depth.

BigTony

Date: September 15, 2017 07:37AM
Thanks Mike, I have always investigated those bouncers as in your sticky and this time the movement left to right made me think of exactly what you wrote about them bouncing.
I just wasn't expecting it this time because it was that deep.

I understand about not written in stone - everyone's soil is different. Everyone's settings are different too.

Once again - I thank you and others on this forum for their assistance - it is a terrific site with a great bunch of folks who want others to succeed.

All the best!

BigTony

Posted by: Explorer.se
Date: September 15, 2017 09:35AM
Big Tony you are inspiring me to find my first Indian. Trust me Ill let you guys know when I find mine. Great find.

I'm happy for you BigTony! Good job!N/T
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: September 15, 2017 10:42AM

Re: Thanks Tony!N/T
Date: September 15, 2017 01:15PM

BigTony

Re: Thanks Explorer Se, I hope you get one soon!N/T
Date: September 15, 2017 01:16PM

BigTony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login