Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Finally an Indian Head cent
Posted by: Ted S
Date: September 15, 2017 07:43PM
Nice job Tony!! The days are gone when you used to find 10-12 Indians in a day! Or are they....

Posted by: BigTony
Date: September 15, 2017 09:29PM
Ted S, yes those days are gone but we still hope and hunt!

BigTony

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 15, 2017 10:27PM
BigTony --

For me, a classic, shallow copper penny hit is 04-28 or 05-28. A zinc penny is usually 07-24 or 07-25. Indians will hit very close to how zinc pennies hit -- as you found out -- if they are shallow. When they are deeper, the FE number will bounce higher most times. I think now that you have dug one, you will know what you are looking for...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Date: September 16, 2017 07:46AM
Steve, 4-28 5-28 shallow or deep are usually memorials where I hunt. Zincs come in at the 7-23 to 7-26. So it must be the dirt or mineralization here to make numbers different.

Thanks for the tips - I will be investigations those deeper penny hits in the future.

BigTony

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 16, 2017 10:49AM
BigTony
IDXmonster, that's just the thing....it wasn't stairs....it went straight across from right to left.....just glad I was watching the screen

Textbook Indian cent behavior, left to right bounce, a touch lower and to the right of zinc cents. They can ID even lower on the screen, the deeper and more green and corroded they are the worse the ID gets. I once hunted this old field, today its a scrub sports field, but was a park back in the 1800's. Oldest coin found there an 1833 Bust dime. Indians are deep there, DEEEEEP so deep its ridiculous how deep. But the soil turns them to hard crusted green slugs. I hadn't dug a single one of them, then I was told to ignore the ID and just dig non iron signals the ID'd deep on the meter, started digging 8 inch and deeper targets and hundreds of Indians popped out of the ground. All utterly destroyed mind you, good coin details on one side, thick hard green crust obliterated the other side.

Note: If you go out to do a dig deep targets only hunt be advised the coil has to be centered over the target for an accurate depth reading, if you are off center it will read deeper than it really is. Larger deep targets you may find at those depths, say a large cent or brass shoe tip, being larger they will read a bit shallower than they really are. The depth meter seems calibrated to about a cent size targets, larger targets inaccurately read shallower than they are, smaller targets inaccurately read deeper than they are. Turning Deep ON and Fast OFF will aid in the deep only type hunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2017 10:58AM by Charles (Upstate NY).

Date: September 16, 2017 10:58AM
Tony --

We are saying the same thing. Yes, it is Memorials, the copper pennies, that hit 04-28, 05-28. I called them "copper," but you called them "Memorials." The zinc pennies are still "memorials," they are just made of zinc with a thin plating of copper on the outside. And yes, 07-23 to 07-26, just as you said. But, just as Charles said, those numbers deteriorate (especially the FE numbers, thus the "left and right bounce" on the smartfind screen, the deeper they get.

Charles --

Sounds like a neat place to hunt. The "green on one side, good details on the other" issue? Sounds like fertilizer is the culprit, probably being used since the field became a sports field.

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 16, 2017 11:02AM
I don't think they bother fertilizing that weed patch, its just thicker almost clay type soil that gets really gooey and swamp like. Only a few blocks away another park of the same era is sandy soil and the Indians come out pristine. Nobody can hunt it anymore because someone dug a bunch of huge ugly plugs and they banned detecting there. :ranting:

Date: September 16, 2017 02:51PM
Steve, that is correct and my problem. Memorials hit harder on the Exp II and they make you feel there is someone deep.
I think the sound of the Indian's that are deeper probably a different hit tone wise besides the high Ferrous number.
Thanks again for the input - I will be on the lookout - still haven't found an 1877 yet!

BigTony

Date: September 16, 2017 02:59PM
Charles, thanks and you right - it was in the textbook pasted here. You are right about the machine not giving accurate depth info and plenty of times I rush the pinpoint and am not centered over the target, thank God for pin pointers!

Too bad that field had an SOB that made a mess and caused a problem like that for everyone.
The other field had sand so the water drained and the corrosion was as bad.....great place to detect for sure

BigTony

Date: September 16, 2017 07:34PM
Charles -- gotcha, on the fertilizer. I always assume that it is often fertilizer that contributes to coin deterioration/crustiness, but maybe in this case it's like you said -- clay soil holding too much water.

Sorry to hear about your other park. MAN does that make me mad, seeing people not filling holes, and ESPECIALLY when it results in giving a "bad name" to those of us who are careful...

BigTony -- I hear you. Definitely the "24, 25, 26" tones of a zinc, or Indian, are a smoother, more subtle, less "attention-getting" tone than the high-tone chirping you get from a copper or silver coin. It's just a matter of training your ears, over time. You'll get there; there are more Indians in your future!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: DougF
Date: September 19, 2017 08:24AM
I always use the digital screen, and I agree with Steve about how the numbers run with Indian cents. But I find that most of them have a distinctive sound - Like deep silver, they have a warble type sound but pitched lower. Mine are generally found at 6 inches or deeper. Once I learned that sound, I started finding them on a regular basis. Sometimes a copper-jacketed bullet or a screw cap from a miniature bottle will sound similar.

SE Pro since Aug. 2009, located in Maryland.

Date: September 19, 2017 09:20AM
Doug, thanks for that explanation, I'll have to listen for that sound.

BigTony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login