Findmall.com

Minelab Explorer Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
How to tell if it is silver
Posted by: 2muchhomework
Date: March 17, 2008 11:35AM
I have been away from detecting for about 4 years and just got back into it. Last night my son and I found a little cup under a rock. I use the Explorer and it sounds the same as a silver quarter and sounds like a sterling silver test ring I have. I was wondering how you test if something is silver or what other metals would give similar sounds. Thanks.

Barb

Unless it's just the lighting in the picture, that green isn't consistent with any silver I've ever dug...
Posted by: NealNoIN
Date: March 17, 2008 12:16PM
If it's silver it would be quite heavy, probably would have markings on it stating it's silver such as: 925 or "sterling". Get a precious metals test kit if you want to be sure.

Copper, brass, large aluminum, can all ID just like silver.N/T
Posted by: NealNoIN
Date: March 17, 2008 12:34PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: How to tell if it is silver
Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: March 17, 2008 06:32PM
Anything large like TIN or aluminum and if yoiu have it in Cond its going to sound with a high tone. Take a look at the digital screen whats it reading?

Posted by: jeffk
Date: March 17, 2008 07:09PM
weigh it. then see how much water it displaces. then divide the two and find it's density.

it'll get you close enough to silver, or whatever it may/may not be.

Do this
Posted by: prodrigsr
Date: March 17, 2008 07:16PM
I've tried it and it works. Find a piece of aluminum foil and place the item in it. Spit on it enough to get it wet. Roll it up and let it stand for say 10-15 seconds. Open it and if it smells "sulferish" it is silver. Try it.

Posted by: 2muchhomework
Date: March 17, 2008 07:29PM
An aluminum pepsi can registers just to the left of the upper right corner and sounds a little lower in tone than this thing. This pegs into the upper right corner with a very high tone just like a silver quarter or a silver ring. That is why I had the question. But it is not very heavy which would make me think aluminum. Unless it is some kind of purer aluminum than a pepsi can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login