Findmall.com

Be sure and visit The Story Forum!

Views Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Story about a lost gold mine in West Texas.............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: August 11, 2011 09:39AM
If you have some time, you might want to read the story in the link at the bottom of this Post. I do indeed believe this to be a true story as per se. About 25 years ago, I did some research on this old lost gold mine. I even went so far as to find the newspaper articles in the basement of the old San Antonio Light Newspaper building. I found the newspaper articles about the records where the Reagan Brothers had the gold ore assayed here in San Antonio. Reagans Canyon is east of the Big Bend Park and is on land now owned by the government. It is a dangerous area, hot, dry weather, remote area where much drugs are moving through the area from Mexico. I thought that maybe you would like to take a break from the political discussions and would possibly be interested in reading about this old lost gold mine. Kelley (Texas) :)

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-treasure5.html

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

I think my fever just went up. That was some good reading.
Posted by: calfrope
Date: August 11, 2011 10:48AM
I thought that most of the Texas gold was around Llano Tx.

calfrope, there are reports of gold being found in several areas of Texas...............
Date: August 11, 2011 11:21AM
There is a man that I know that pans for gold up in the Hill Country of Texas and he claims to find enough gold to live a modest lifestyle. I must admit that I saw his modest lifestyle, which was a small cabin on some land that he owns, and a late model pickup truck sitting beside the cabin. He is old, single because his wife died years ago, and all he really needs to do is find enough gold to buy food and some pocket change for going to town once in awhile. I am providing a link below that discusses gold sites in Texas, hope that you enjoy it. Kelley (Texas) :)

http://www.texfiles.com/features/gold.htm

Kelly, when it cools off lets go and get rich!!!:cheers:N/T
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 11, 2011 02:25PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 02:26PM by buck.

Thanks for the great reading info Kelley. When I was based in
Date: August 11, 2011 03:37PM
Arizona, gold prospecting was all I did on my fee time. I started back in 1987 using a pan on Lynx Creek (Prescott Arizona), then I start using dry washers/4"dredges, then finally found my favorite weapon of choice. The metal detecter.

Just reading stories like this, and remembering the stories my grandfather told during his gold prospecting days, gets my blood to flowing. I'll send a few pics of some trophy's I have found using my Minelab SD-2000/2100. Thanks again for the great read.

That was an interesting story
Posted by: Nimrodİ
Date: August 11, 2011 04:17PM
I would like to go gold hunting some time, I think it would be a lot of fun. Cool story!

:usaf: Nimrod :usow:
Special Operations Command

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people. - Penn Jillette

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself. - Thomas Paine

Calfrope, the only gold hunting that I ever did was looking for old..............
Date: August 11, 2011 04:32PM
Spanish gold mines. I had always been a collector of Indian relics since a very young boy, started out looking in the fields after my grandfather and father plowed them. In the early 1970's, I did some roaming around the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma after some research that led me to an area known as Treasure Lake. It seems that there was a CCC camp located where there was once an Indian Camp. After more research, I discovered that originally there was indeed an Indian Village at that location, but the Spanish had ventured into the Wichita Mountains and enslaved the Indians, used them for working in their gold mines. Later the CCC camp was built on the same site during the Great Depression. Upon completion of the research, I decided to look for Indian relics in the area.

I hunted that area for three days, and I must admit it was a rough, dangerous area to be hunting alone. On the second day, I found a strange site that puzzled me. There was a large hole going straight down into the ground, best I remember, it must have been maybe 12 or 15 feet in diameter. There was some type of large grinding stone apparatus off to the side, along with several large rock piles. I also remember thinking that it was strange having a large water well out in nowhere. After looking around for about 30 minutes, I left the area. I was tempted to camp there for the night, but decided against doing so after seeing several rattlesnakes near one of the rock piles. I hunted one more day, and went home.

A year or two later, I became interested in treasure hunting after my father bought a metal detector and lent it to me to play with. I found a couple coins and was hooked, I now had a dual hobby, Indian relics and metal detecting. It was about this time that I found out that I had possibly found a Spanish gold mine. I did not know that they would often sink a shaft straight down into the ground. I did make a trip back to the area with a friend, but we could not find the site, and I have not been back since.

About a dozen years ago, I found a possible Spanish Treasure Cave, but it was loaded with a ton of rattlesnakes that I did not even attempt to explore the cave or the area. I was afraid of that cave, sensed death if I messed with it. The smell was so bad from those snakes that I almost had to vomit. I even had trouble controlling my horse and sure did not want to be afoot back in that remote area. I left that area and never returned. I don't even know if I could find that cave again, but with all those rattlesnakes, I could really care less.

Those were the good old days, lots of fun exploring and looking for treasure items. Those were my only experiences with gold mines, wish that I had lived in Arizona or some state that actually had gold that you could find with a metal detector. Calfrope, you were very fortunate of have actually looked for gold, something many never got the opportunity to do. Kelley (Texas) :)

Buck, I will be glad when this heat is gone and we get some rain...........
Date: August 11, 2011 04:46PM
You turn your water hose on and all you get is steam. You know it is hot when several neighborhood cats and some birds are resting together under the old Live Oak tree while waiting for me to fill the bird bath. Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

I have found a couple of arrastras myself in Arizona off the beaten trail.
Date: August 11, 2011 05:26PM
I was wondering if they could have been any of the Cortez Spanish expeditions from long ago I came across. Keep in mind, I was healthy at that time, and could venture anywhere I pleased. I would probably die if I were to try to go back to them places again.

Fred, I hope I would have the privelage of meeting you someday. I love history.

My father had dreams of finding gold Kelley and that's what got me interested in detecting, I hope to do some gold hunting back your way and AZ when my working days are up :clapping:N/T
Posted by: General Ray
Date: August 11, 2011 06:03PM

I did a little panning in Prescott 4 or 5 years ago........
Posted by: NE Digger
Date: August 11, 2011 06:21PM
LOTS of color...........but nothing substantial. It was dry as heck.......and little water in the creek.
We flew into Vegas..................and drove from there to Mesa, VIA The hoover dam, The Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater...and down thru Sedona. I was great fun! HAD to stop in Prescott to do a little panning. Nice gold!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 06:22PM by NE Digger.

NE Digger, do you plan on panning for gold sometime in the future? :)N/T
Date: August 11, 2011 06:34PM

probably.
Date: August 11, 2011 07:24PM
I guess I'm a bit of an opportunist. I dont travel specifically to pan for gold.....(we usually travel to detect) ..but if I'm in an area where there are gold bearing creeks..........I'll usually have a pan or two with me. The only place I've gone to specifically sluce for gold was the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Bath, New Hampshire. We used to go up and sluice for a few days every fall....and then bring the concentrate home and pan it in coolers. GREAT fun..but TONS of work.

sounds like you have had your share of fun Kelly!
Date: August 11, 2011 07:27PM
We were ALL young once upon a time. I did LOTS of things 40 years ago I wouldnt do today. Nice story!

Re: Story about a lost gold mine in West Texas.............
Posted by: marsmc2m
Date: April 05, 2014 01:27PM
Hey Kelly!
My Grandmother, who was a Brewster County pioneer, often told me the story about Kelly's mine.
She would tell me every detail that she could and my imagination ran wild.
Over the years I often thought of this story and now I know it may be reality.
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login