Views Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Hate the environment? Buy a hybrid!
Posted by: Varmint
Date: March 13, 2007 11:43AM
Well, that is certainly an eye opener.
Posted by: copperhead
Date: March 13, 2007 12:00PM
I am waiting with bated breath for an announcement from Al Gore and his hordes of brain dead lemmings to acknowledge their mistakes.

Does anyone know if Steve lives in the vicinity of the nickel mine? That would explain a lot if he does.

mike

i read this earlier
Posted by: david(tx)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:01PM
just yesterday i was at the grocery store thumbing through consumer reports review of the different makes and models of cars.i've been looking at small cars just to see their gas mileage figures.

while at stores and out and about,if i see someone driving a small car that i'm curious about i will ask them what kind of mileage they get.consumer reports said that the chevy cobalt was THIRSTY for a small car,and didn't rate it very high.

i must have asked 3 people how they liked the fuel mileage of their cars,they all said their highway mileage was between 37-39,and that their around town muleage was over 30.

i also went to carsurvey online and the people writing reviews said pretty much the same thing as far as fuel mileage.i think i'll look at consumer reports evaluation of the prius,i'll bet it's positive,i really don't think consumer reports does all their product evaluations without bias,i think they let politics enter in to it.

Re: Hate the environment? Buy a hybrid!
Posted by: Steve(Can)
Date: March 13, 2007 12:11PM
Sudbury.

Seen that moonscape your article mentioned in the late 1960's. Unbelievable, you would have had to seen it to believe it. Seen it again through the 1980's and it was a remarkably different place.

Based on the innaccuracies in that article, whether intentional or just a result of poor research, the liberal-like methods employed by the writer tend to put the whole article in question.

Just so you know, Varms:

>>The ore deposits in Sudbury are part of a large geological structure known as the Sudbury Basin, believed to be the remnants of a 1.85-billion year old meteorite impact crater. Sudbury ore contains profitable amounts of many elements, especially transition metals, including platinum. It also contains an unusually high concentration of sulfur. When nickel-copper ore is smelted, this sulfur is released into the environment, where it is toxic to vegetation. Carried aloft, it combines with atmospheric water to form sulfuric acid. This contaminates atmospheric water, resulting in a phenomenon known as acid rain.
The Inco Superstack dominates the Sudbury skyline.
The Inco Superstack dominates the Sudbury skyline.

As a result, Sudbury was widely, although not entirely accurately, known for many years as a wasteland. In parts of the city, vegetation was devastated, both by acid rain and by logging to provide fuel for early smelting techniques, as well as wood for the reconstruction of Chicago after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The resulting erosion exposed bedrock, which was charred in most places to a pitted, dark black appearance. There was not a complete lack of vegetation in the region, however. Paper birch and wild blueberry are notable examples of plants which thrived in the acidic soils, and even during the worst years of the city's environmental damage, not all parts of the city were equally affected.

During the Apollo manned lunar exploration program, NASA astronauts trained in Sudbury, to become familiar with shatter cones, a rare rock formation connected with meteorite impacts. However, the popular misconception that they were visiting Sudbury because it purportedly resembled the lifeless surface of the moon dogged the city for years.

In the late 1970s, private, public, and commercial interests combined to establish an unprecedented "regreening" effort. Lime was spread over the charred soil of the Sudbury region by hand and by aircraft. Seeds of wild grasses and other vegetation were also spread. In twenty years, over three million trees were planted. The ecology of the Sudbury region has recovered dramatically, due both to the regreening program and improved mining practices, and in 1992 the city was given the "Local Government Honours Award" by the United Nations, in honour of its innovative community-based strategies in environmental rehabilitation. More recently, the city has begun to rehabilitate the slag heaps that surround the Copper Cliff smelter area, with the planting of grass and trees.

Sudbury is on the Canadian (Precambrian) Shield. Over 300 lakes lie within its municipal boundaries, including Lake Wanapitei, which holds the record for the largest lake in the world completely contained within the boundaries of a single city. (Before the municipal amalgamation of 2001, this status was held by Lake Ramsey, which is just a few kilometres south of downtown Sudbury.)<<<

Being that this is a college that I attended for a short period of time...........I would not put any weight on the article that was written!!
Posted by: Bobbie
Date: March 13, 2007 01:57PM
The college is good for certain subjects..........the rest ain't worth a hill of bean poop. The articles written in the school paper are just an oppinion, most of the time there is no investigation into the story. Just recently one of their writters got in trouble for writting a story about rape and how it could be a good thing if it happened!!
If it were published by Yale or Harvard.....it would bear some weight.........but CCSU...nawwwwwwwww.

I must add...........
Posted by: Bobbie
Date: March 13, 2007 02:02PM
The major subject that is taught at this University is Education.....makes ya wonder!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login