Findmall.com

Modifications Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Lexan adhesive
Posted by: AUDuke
Date: August 08, 2009 03:08PM
Anyone know what is the best adhesive to "glue" Lexan together, want to mount a Tesoro Compadre in a water proof box.

Re: Lexan adhesive
Posted by: Quartzsite
Date: August 09, 2009 01:14AM
I've had good luck with "shoe goo " from walmart . It's pretty indestructable ! :thumbup:

Posted by: jabbo
Date: August 09, 2009 01:38AM
Silicon sealer/adhesive like they use on fish tanks might work.

Posted by: JHM
Date: August 09, 2009 03:52AM
Go to a boat dealership and buy some "below the waterline" silicone.

Posted by: vito
Date: August 09, 2009 09:19AM
Quartzsite
I've had good luck with "shoe goo " from walmart . It's pretty indestructable ! :thumbup:

I second this.

To Quit Or Not To Quit Detecting. That's The Question. (depending on the result on asking for permission to the new laws in this county here...)

Date: August 09, 2009 12:22PM
Thanx all; silicone is what I will probably use, was kind of looking for something that would mabey soften the plastic an weld it together maybe MEK.

Posted by: Jeff In North Georgia
Date: August 12, 2009 09:00PM
Lexan Polycarbonate Glue
ePlasics stocks and sells the complete line of IPS Weld-On Industrial Plastic Adhesives.

IPS #3 is water-thin, quick drying and is mostly Methylene Chloride in composition. Good for gluing small parts where fast drying is required and bond strength not as critical. Most typically used in solvent welding applications.

IPS #16 is clear syrupy or bodied and fast drying. Great where the parts don't fit exactly right, for putting a bead inside a box you are trying to make water-tight, or for bonding applications where a bubble-free bond is not required (bonding solid colors for instance).

IPS #40 is mostly acrylic monomer in composition and is a 2-part mix. This is the adhesive used by professionals for making aquariums and other bubble-free and highly structural bonds. It is the strongest of all the Plexiglass glues, and requires a bit of skill in its application. Excellent for bonding Plexiglass to Lexan and other materials as well.

Posted by: ToniSteve
Date: August 12, 2009 10:59PM
If you are on the west coast of the US there is a great plastic store now up and down the coast called "Tap Plastics". They have all the great stuff and a knowledgeable staff. From San Diego to Seattle!

Kind Regards,
Steve

Date: August 13, 2009 09:12PM
Thanx to everyone for the info., seens like there is always some who has the answer.

"goop marine" if you can find it.N/T
Posted by: thebeatmachine
Date: August 14, 2009 12:02AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: grumpyolman
Date: September 02, 2009 09:53AM
Built a camera housing for diving. I used the adhesives sold for that purpose by the plastic supply company. Sometime the stuff that's as thin as alcohol works great and immediately welds the plastic together. Often applied with a syringe. It'll infiltrate both pieces just like soldering a copper joint in plumbing. The medium thick stuff reminded me of the model glue we all used at one time. They didn't have the two part epoxy available when I built mine.
I am thinking of doing the same thing for an E-Trac.
I have found some good suppliers of through the hull fittings that allow you to adjust the instrument from the outside. PM if you need them...Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login