Findmall.com

Modifications Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Waterproof Explorer II
Posted by: automodeler
Date: October 11, 2011 04:21PM
I am beginning to search local freshwater lakes for coins and rings. I know my Minelab Explorer II does a fantastic job (best detector ever, keep it up MINELAB!), but I can only go jsut short of waistdeep before risking water damage.

I know Minelab released the Excalibur. Why don't they make an Explorer style detector that is water proof?

Anyone have any ideas about waterproof housings I could put a clear window in and take my Explorer in the water with me?

Currently I'm going in the water as deep as I can with the Explorer II, but I plan on getting a Whites Surfmaster so I can go submersible.

Re: Waterproof Explorer II
Posted by: TURNMASTER
Date: October 11, 2011 05:13PM
Look in the modification forum some one has done this to an EX II already.

Jeff

TURNMASTER
Does "Just my two cents" have the same meaning on a treasure hunters forum?
X-Terra 705 & AT Pro

Oldest coin; 1895 Indian Head Penny

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: October 12, 2011 08:01AM
At this point there is no need with the sales of the Xcal. They didnt even use all the capability of the Sov. With the AT Pro out we all hope it will be the trend of the future these water proof machines. Hate running for the car when it starts raining or dragging out the baggies. I can tell you the Exp coils have to be turned down in the surf they get a lot of chatter with the salt water rushing over them. Great machine on the beach as long as you dont lift the coil above the box, clean them off from the spray, and remember even if you think you are in shallow water..... it does bob up the shaft so be careful. Oh.... gravediggermax-vabeachva has done a mod and put an Etrc and Exp in a box.

Dew

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: October 12, 2011 11:37AM
TURNMASTER
Look in the modification forum some one has done this to an EX II already.

Jeff

I have built waterproof Explorers.

Charles has done what minelabs should have offered, but these will work also
Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: October 14, 2011 09:30PM
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1564324

Max's http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1322439

My sovereign

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

Date: October 25, 2011 01:23PM
One of Charles (Upstate NY)

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

Posted by: Hombre
Date: October 25, 2011 03:17PM
:thumbup:Boy ! Charles has got himself a sweet rig there

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: Crispy Critter
Date: October 25, 2011 05:23PM
OldBeechnut
I'd love to have my E-Trac set up like that.

Posted by: Hobo lobo
Date: October 26, 2011 08:30PM
Looks expensive

Posted by: Bill G
Date: October 27, 2011 01:48PM
OldBeechnut

That's sweet, very nice......:thumbup: I love it when people come up with innovative ways to enhance and take care of there detectors..:clapping:

Happy & Safe Hunting To All,:detecting:
Bill G

Every find is a good find, some are just great!!!!!!! HH

Date: October 27, 2011 08:19PM
Anyone interest, That is Joe Delmarco one of the Moderators..using one of Charles Machines, At one time I think Charles was going to offer it as a kit..Notice the excalibur battery on the rear....not sure where that idea went...Maybe we can get charles to give some info....

Posted by: Crispy Critter
Date: October 28, 2011 06:43AM
I wonder what the face of the case is made of? How are adjustment's made? HH-CC

Posted by: Rob (IL)
Date: October 28, 2011 02:47PM
I remember the story. The story is his to tell.

The adjustments are made the same as the regular Minelab. The screen cover is flexible. I remember it because I don't have a CNC milling machine. This is a super setup.

"Everyone has an opinion, but mine is free":devil:
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment..."

Posted by: verylazybeachbum
Date: October 30, 2011 11:57PM
Maybe if enough people were interested they would produce some. I for one would buy one, even though I don't have an explorer. There is a desperate need for new water machines. Also, I wonder if a different coil would work better with less interference from the waves.

Posted by: automodeler
Date: November 02, 2011 12:36PM
I am going to try to waterproof my Explorer II using an aquapac bag: http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/miscellaneous-electronics-cases/large-whanganui-fits-ipads-668.html
and waterproof connectors.

I will mount the control unit off the shaft into the aquapac bag, then have a watertight penetration for the coil cable, probe cable and skip using headphones to reduce the number of penetrations.

I'll also have to figure out how to hook up the battery. That will probably mean dissassembling the upper portion of the machine (which I'll have to do anyway to get the control box off).

Any suggestions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login