Findmall.com

Modifications Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Tesoro Vaquero waterproofing
Posted by: underwatermetalman
Date: March 15, 2016 08:04PM
Hello everyone, I found an old beach site that is littered with bobby pins, hair pins, nails etc. I have found a few good finds but I know there are several other targets I have missed. I have hit it with an Excal and a CTX 3030 with 6" coil. I know from land hunting my Vaquero has a much faster recovery speed but it is not water proof. Has anyone water proofed one? if so, do you have a mold or know of something I can encase mine in? I am looking to scuba dive with it down to depths around 25'

I appreciate your responses or suggestions...

UWMM

Re: Tesoro Vaquero waterproofing
Posted by: amberjack
Date: March 28, 2016 06:13PM
is it fresh or salt water?

AJ

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: April 09, 2016 07:47AM
Waterproofed many units. Id recomend calling whites and asking if they could help you out with a dual field control box with rubber seal and side clamps. They helped me out on a few occasions. for this type application.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: April 09, 2016 12:43PM
that's interesting they would do that, nice case too !! can buy those lunch box water proof cases elsewhere I am sure if you look around.

AJ

Posted by: finnfoto
Date: April 19, 2016 04:39AM
Good luck with those lunch box cases I've had to many mishaps with those little pelican boxes. Ike lite sells some really good camera cases for diving as well.

Date: July 22, 2017 06:47PM
AJ,

I would use this for freshwater applications, I don't think the Vaquero would work well in salt but I could be wrong. I base this on the single frequency machines performance we all know and love!

UWMM

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 27, 2017 04:27AM
Check out the Plano tackle boxes ....

Posted by: pinenut
Date: July 30, 2017 05:50PM
synthnut
Check out the Plano tackle boxes ....

I'm curious; are the Plano any more waterproof than the Pelicans?

I'd be tempted to try one of these Waterproof Pelican with the coil & waterproof headphones hard-wired. Mount it to your poles with some Velcro.. Pretty sure all the Vaquero's guts will fit inside, but they have a bigger one, if not. A little diver's grease on the O-ring, and you should be OK to 20' or so.

Then again, you could just buy a used Tiger Shark and go down lots deeper.. Not as light as a Vaquero, but they're made for freshwater diving and have excellent discrimination. Sell the Vaquero, and you'd have at least 2/3 the cost of a used Tiger.

one more wheatie..

Posted by: Electricfrontporch
Date: July 30, 2017 06:03PM
Probably better off with a tigershark. The plano/pelican boxes are fine for shallow work but beyond 15' is a whole other story. Lots more pressure

Date: August 04, 2017 06:06AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check in to the boxes suggested here. I do have an older version of the Tiger Shark and am fortunate to own a Stingray II but I really like my Vaquero and think it would be awesome in the water especially if I can get a widescan coil to work. I spoke to Rusty at Tesoro and he says the widescan coil wouldn't work any deeper than a few feet. I am heart broken. I told Rusty if they waterproof a Vaquero with the widescan I would buy one.

Thank you all for your input, I welcome others as well.

UWMM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login