Findmall.com

Fisher CZ Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
CZ-3D Pro, Ready for fall detecting
Posted by: Old California
Date: September 30, 2012 05:38PM
Well, With the few minor changes thought I'd add Pro to the 3-D.

With fall approaching, Getting ready for serious detecting and the 1021 CZ 3-D is going to be one of my grab and go detectors from here on out.

She handles quite well, all controls remained above the hand grip so nothing changed except most of the weight is now distributed to the rear.

Before doing the mod, Used it for gold jewerly and deep turf silver hunting. I can still remember my first day using the 3D it made a believer out of me when it snaged an 8" deep barber dime at a pounded park, from there on out fell in love with the machine.

Looking forward to using her more often in the coming months ahead, especially for gold jewerly detecting.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 05:44PM by Old California.

Re: CZ-3D Pro, Ready for fall detecting
Posted by: bigtim1973
Date: September 30, 2012 05:44PM
So may I ask how you did this???? I have never seen anything like this done........I have seen modifications to detectors like water proofing, maybe moving a pinpoint switch and straight shaft conversions but this looks like a factory job. Have you got pics of the process???? Tim

Date: September 30, 2012 05:56PM
Hello bigTim,

This was a simple mod, already had the parts just needed to find the time and put her together.

With the 3D it's constructed well so the Tech's can repair them quickly, which made it an easy mod to do the minor changes.

No pics in the process, but it's quite simple. It's a hobby of mine, Love to change certain detectors a bit.

Thanks for viewing it as a factory job,
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: Steve O
Date: September 30, 2012 08:03PM
Why two heads?..how does it function? Give it up Paul

Date: September 30, 2012 08:36PM
Not quite sure Steve what you mean about two heads?

I found the mod worthy of sharing, It's not something fake.

Here's a pic of another similar mod I did about two years ago, It's a Compass GoldScanner Pro and it too has the controls above the handle.

With the 3D, having spare parts enabled me to mount a functional control panel above the handle. I can still remove the dead control panel from the lower housing and mount in a dummy plate with a CZ-3D decal.

That will eliminate the second control panel, Maybe that's something I should have done before making the post.

Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: wayne_etc
Date: September 30, 2012 08:49PM
That's really cool.

So the controls on the rear-mounted box don't do anything?

What did you use as a "donor" control box that you reach with your hands? Looks like the CZ faceplate is mounted in a control box that used to be a part of another detector?

Nice job!

w

Fors CoRe

North Alabama

Date: September 30, 2012 10:03PM
Thanks Wayne,

The meter control housing is a Whites analog housing, almost the same size and with minor grinding the CZ control panel slips in.

Not pictured is part of a panel cover managed to salvage from a CZ and with a bit of imagination tweaked it so it snaps on over the control panel, something maybe needed if the sun somehow effects visibility but so far visual is good on the CZ analog meter. However, The snap cover is there if needed in the future.

Will post two pics, one with the snap on cover the other with it off.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: Charles (Sabre)(Tx)
Date: September 30, 2012 10:38PM
That is so cool! I wonder why First Texas couldn't have done the same thing since they make the T2, G2...etc.

Posted by: Steve O
Date: October 01, 2012 05:09AM
Sorry, I'm confused. I see two heads/control boxes. I see the coil wire to the box mounted at the rear. I see a control box mounted above the grip with no coil wire attached. Why the two control boxes? Do they both function?
If one is a dummy, what is the reason?

PS. Paul, when I said give it up, I meant the info, not anything disrespectful.

Posted by: Shenandoah Digger
Date: October 01, 2012 05:13AM
My only problem with the CZ has been the balance. Why Fisher didn't make all their machines like the 1266 and have the battery compartment in the rear I'll never know. Great solution.

Date: October 01, 2012 08:40AM
Thanks Charles,

I think retooling the 3D was a factor, I'm sure they thought of it but maybe too expensive of a risk retooling an analog.

Everythings going in the direction of Digital, I guess it's cheaper to go this route and they are coming out with very good detectors.

In fact, I still use a T-2 and have owned several others (F-75, etc.) and like them. But, Nothing like an old analog to use in the mix.

Would like to see Fisher take one more stab on an analog, same setup as my CZ-3D the market is still there and of course it will need to be cost effective for them to do it. If not, I understand.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 08:43AM by Old California.

Date: October 01, 2012 08:58AM
No problem Steve,

The coil connector connecting to the lower housing holds the circuit board, most of the weight is now distributed to the rear (batteries, circuit board).

I'm glad you brought up what's the reasoning for two control panels, I will remove the rear panel and mount in a dummy panel with no controls. That will elimate some weight and confusion, I left it there to plug a hole same thing I did with the GoldScanner Pro.

It is possible to use both controls on some of the pots, but not with the analog meter that is one of the features that can not operate two at a time.

Thanks,
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Date: October 01, 2012 09:15AM
You're right SDigger, just with the battery compartment like the 1266 below the arm rest makes a world of difference and removes some of the top heaviness when sitting the detector on the ground.

Maybe it was too cost effective adding on that rear battery pack to some of the other Fisher models,

Thanks,
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: Mike T
Date: October 01, 2012 10:07AM
Kind of looks like a F5 with a analog meter. Did you switch the mounting bracket on the rear housing from underneath to the top?

Date: October 01, 2012 11:04AM
Hello Mike,

That's a great idea and it didn't occur to me using both mounting brackets, I only used a portion of the smaller bracket mounted on the shaft and the larger bracket is still connected underneath the housing.

Thanks!
Paul (Ca)

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login