Findmall.com

Fisher CZ Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
The best CZ
Posted by: Neil
Date: August 24, 2016 08:28AM
Which CZ do you guys all prefer of all the models made?

Im looking to get another CZ as backup to the CZ5 I just bought and am trying to figure out which one to get. Thanks to a few PMs with Harold he informed me about this 1021 number that is brought up from time to time.
So for me, primarily interested in chest mounting a CZ, would you recommend a new CZ3D, another CZ5, one of the Dankowski certified ones, what would you go with if you were willing to spend about $800 which seems to be the going rate for a new one.
The weight/balance of my Etrac is making it less appealing and Ive been grabbing my Shadow more and more but the Shadow doesn't do well in wet salt sand so Im figuring the CZ chestmounted is a good alternative. I tried that swingy thing for the etrac and and just do not like that setup. I chestmounted a Sov for years and am comfortable with that setup.
So what CZ should I be looking for? And is there anything I should pay close attention to when buying a used one?
Thank you,
Neil

in everything give thanks
Etrac
X5

SunrayGold and Detectorpro Black Widow headphones

Re: The best CZ
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: August 24, 2016 09:07AM
Neil I prefer 3 CZ70 CZ3D and Z21.

Neil...what's up my friend
Posted by: therover
Date: August 24, 2016 01:42PM
I can give my 2 cents. Since the cost ceiling is $800 I would think a new CZ21 is out. If you can find one of those at that price get it. If not look for either a CZ6a or CZ70.

Both are considered splash proof and less prone to the salt air getting in them.

The CZ70 doesn't have the knobs ( other than the gb knob) so when set up and chest mounted, less likely to have the settings changed due to a knob being bumped as opposed to the 6a.

Problem is, both are getting harder to find.

I love my 6a on the NJ beaches.

Posted by: silverseeker 2
Date: August 24, 2016 02:05PM
Neil,
The CZ3D was made for specific hunting. To find Older coins on Older sites!!!
If used in modern areas (trashy) in Enhanced mode get ready to dig heavy.In Enhanced
mode you will dig can slaw, aluminum bits and so on when on a fairly modern site.
Still will do well as an all around detector.Next my preference for most sites as far
as using a CZ would be the CZ 70 Pro. Can't go wrong with this unit as far as performance
on any site goes. Just a great unit but digital. I like analogue though when it comes to the CZ's.
One of my best gold finds was with the CZ3D as it rang a 7 gram 14 karat ring w/small jewels
in a HIGH tone and I was ecstatic when I learned this. So my opinion is if you hunt a lot of
pre 1950's sites more so than more modern sites I'd choose the CZ3D.If you more modern sites
I would seriously choose the CZ70 Pro but with that machine you need to see if they are still
repairable should the Digital platform fail in any way or take a chance. Both great machines though.
Another CZ that performs well is the CZ6A. My buddy kills it with this unit and will not up-grade to anything
new. Why, because he's been Swinging it since it came out and he knows this machine better than his
wife. Me though as far as CZ's go I pick the 3D because at the flick of a switch I have 2 DIFFERENT DETECTORS!!! JMHO...
silverseeker 2

P.S. Forget about the CZ 20 or 21 unless you plan on being in the water mostly. That things built like a tank and heavy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 02:09PM by silverseeker 2.

Posted by: cadman_us
Date: August 24, 2016 03:00PM
CZ-6a is my preferred CZ, I have a Tom tuned CZ-5 and a regular CZ-5, also a couple of the CZ-70 pro. CZ-6a is the one I have the most confidence in, the others are all good machines, but with the CZ-6a I just feel lucky...:wink:

To many detectors, not enough places to hunt.....

Date: August 26, 2016 09:35AM
Does anyone know if theres a page or website dedicated to CZs?

I am trying to figure out which ones came first, what order they were released and what each model looks like.

Someone today offered me a CZ6a that has been converted. What gets converted? Sorry just confused and wanna get another one but want to see the models.

Etrac
X5

CZ6 was the first, then the CZ6a
Posted by: wade tx
Date: August 26, 2016 10:18AM
The 6a was the same as the cz6 with upgraded connectors for the coil and hdphones.

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: August 26, 2016 11:27AM
I must be used to My CZ-3D as I leave it in enhanced mode since day one and 0 Disc. And don't dig that much modern trash.I think a CZ-3D is a regular CZ on steroids if tuned properly. Some say it just pushed targets into a higher tone,But I have owned every CZ model made and the Hotest ones were CZ-3Ds. JMHO.

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Posted by: mike from Illinois
Date: August 26, 2016 11:40AM
Neil. Dan-Pa gave me this info 7-8 yrs. ago. cz6 1991 analog no -external speaker.
cz5-1992 analog had external speaker.
cz7- fall of 1996-digital- had battery drain problem.
cz7a- spring of 1998. digital
cz7a pro- summer of 1998- digital.
cz70- sept. 2001. digital.
cz-3d- feb. 2004- analog- external speaker.
Don't have release date for cz6a.
Hope this helps. Mike

Re: CZ6 was the first, then the CZ6a
Date: August 27, 2016 11:05AM
So the CZ6 models are both analog. When you say upgraded connectors do you mean the CZ6a had those special pigtail connectors for the headphones(saw a pic of that) and the CZ6 is the same but with standard headphone connector, like the CZ5, but water resistant? Is that correct? So the conversion people get done is swapping out those pigtail connectors?
Thank you Wade.
Neil
wade tx
The 6a was the same as the cz6 with upgraded connectors for the coil and hdphones.

Etrac
X5

Date: August 27, 2016 11:08AM
Thank you Harold and Mike.
I have someone who offered me a CZ3D with the dankowski calibration, a 1021 model, so I might grab that one.
I guess the calibration lasts forever since its internal?

Etrac
X5

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: August 27, 2016 11:14AM
As far as weight and balance of Etrac you might want to try a Sunray X 8" coil as alot easier to swing then Pro coil and a full 8" and lighter than Minelab 8" coil. It's almost as deep as Pro coil and better separation. I use it on My Etrac about 80% of the time.

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Date: August 27, 2016 04:17PM
Harold,ILL.
As far as weight and balance of Etrac you might want to try a Sunray X 8" coil as alot easier to swing then Pro coil and a full 8" and lighter than Minelab 8" coil. It's almost as deep as Pro coil and better separation. I use it on My Etrac about 80% of the time.

I know about that coil, its truly a good one. Weight is an issue with an Etrac but its more about balance, the design of the overall machine. Its just like swinging a lead pipe, there is no balance point at the handgrip like say a F75 or T2. I might grab an X8 if one were to pop up on the forums reasonably priced.

Etrac
X5

Neil...you have it backwards
Date: August 28, 2016 10:35AM
The CZ6 had the special connectors and coils. The CZ6a is just like the CZ5 but without a speaker and water resistant.

The CZ5, 6a, 7, 7a, 70 and 3D can all use the same coils.

The CZ6 was the odd one out.

CZ6a conversion
Date: August 28, 2016 10:40AM
Neil,

The converted 6a may be a Tom D conversion where he makes it function similar to a 3D. Mind you, there are still only 3 tones...not 4 like a 3D. He adjusts with target window ranges and the conversion makes some older coins hit in the high tone area. He may also be able to tweak it to get a bit more depth. But he can't add the 4th tone.

Or it could be a CZ6 converted to a 6a in the fact that the unit can now use the stock CZ coils without the special connector.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login