Findmall.com

Fisher CZ Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I just bought a CZ5, did I screw up by not buying a CZ3D
Posted by: Dan(NM)
Date: February 11, 2017 08:40PM
I have a CZ5 on it's way, but it seems the CZ3D is the rave, did I make a mistake. I plan on sending the CZ5 to Tom for his tune-up, hopefully that'll help make up for not getting a CZ3D

Re: I just bought a CZ5, did I screw up by not buying a CZ3D
Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: February 12, 2017 10:01AM
PS: talk to Tom as he can set up like a CZ3D if you wish....Personally prefer the original CZ's myself but you may differ in your opinion....

Date: February 12, 2017 11:04AM
I'm having the buyer ship the CZ5 straight to Tom and he's going to tune and upgrade it to the CZ-3D old coin mode. It's been almost 18 years since I used a CZ.

Dan..be aware your CZ5 will still only have 3 tones
Posted by: therover
Date: February 12, 2017 02:15PM
Tom D tunes the old CZ's to 3D specs in terms of windows of conductivity but he cannot make the 3 tone CZ5 into a 4 tone CZ3D.

Re: Dan..be aware your CZ5 will still only have 3 tones
Date: February 12, 2017 04:59PM
The 3 tones vs 4 tones won't be an issue with me. I hunt with an Etrac and only use 2 tones ferrous 95% of the time.

Good deal
Posted by: therover
Date: February 12, 2017 05:28PM
Just wanted you to know.

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: February 13, 2017 08:44PM
Honestly I knew that ....and should have made buyer aware ....my bad but just use the high tone myself.....for deep silver....guess that's why the CZ3D is not my cup of tea....

Posted by: pasttom
Date: February 16, 2017 01:55PM
Over the years I've had a couple 5s, a couple 7s and now have a couple 3Ds. I think there are more variations within runs than models for depth. Tom will test the depth on yours and you'll discover how good it is. He optimizes internal settings and if there is any issues he will ferret them out. It is worth the cost just to have confidence in the unit. That it is performing at peak is a plus to be sure.
You did fine.

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: February 20, 2017 02:43PM
Can anybody confirm that the new CZ3D's coming off the line are already "pre-tuned?" Dave J. says they are now properly calibrated as they leave the factory. Does this mean that the Tom tuneup is no longer need on the new ones? Are the new ones as good as the old 1021 Los Banos ones? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying a new one rather than finding an old one and sending it off to Tom.

Whoops, I see that there is already a thread on this topic, I'll repost there.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 02:47PM by Wayfarer.

Posted by: Zinc Penny
Date: February 20, 2017 06:58PM
Wayfarer
Can anybody confirm that the new CZ3D's coming off the line are already "pre-tuned?" Dave J. says they are now properly calibrated as they leave the factory. Does this mean that the Tom tuneup is no longer need on the new ones? Are the new ones as good as the old 1021 Los Banos ones? I'm wondering because I'm considering buying a new one rather than finding an old one and sending it off to Tom.

I heard that the cz-3d was being discontinued.

Date: February 20, 2017 07:12PM
Zinc Penny
Wayfarer

I've been hearing the same thing too. But Dave J. recently said as long as people keep buying them, they'll keep making them. For now, anyway, you can still find them in stock at most dealers.

Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Date: February 22, 2017 09:36PM
Wayfarer
Zinc Penny
Wayfarer

I've been hearing the same thing too. But Dave J. recently said as long as people keep buying them, they'll keep making them. For now, anyway, you can still find them in stock at most dealers.

Well I hope so I used to own one regret selling it still and am looking for a good one that doesnt cost $600+

Date: February 22, 2017 11:11PM
I know what you mean. The new CZ3Ds sure are expensive. With the recent price drop, F75 LTD 2's, Fisher's top of the line, now cost less than a new CZ.

I'd be hard pressed to spend more on a CZ than a F75. Even the CZ fanboys will usually admit that the F75 is the only other detector that can match or beat the CZ.

Still though, gotta love those dials on the analog machines!

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: February 23, 2017 02:02PM
There's a lot of single frequency machines that compete in the F75's category, including some good ones that came out in the last five years or so. That's probably what has brought the price down. Not that many multi-frequency machines out there however, and they have their advantages.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Date: February 24, 2017 02:49PM
Wayfarer
I know what you mean. The new CZ3Ds sure are expensive. With the recent price drop, F75 LTD 2's, Fisher's top of the line, now cost less than a new CZ.

I'd be hard pressed to spend more on a CZ than a F75. Even the CZ fanboys will usually admit that the F75 is the only other detector that can match or beat the CZ.

Still though, gotta love those dials on the analog machines!

Heck 879 is retail new in box, I've seen used as high as 600 if I got one for like $400 I would pay it. I miss my cz, first day out I found a 14k gold ring and 3 other pieces of gold jewellery now that is where the cz holds its own in old coins and gold. It's just amazing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login