Findmall.com

Fisher CZ Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: CZ3d
Posted by: Dave J.
Date: May 31, 2017 01:59AM
I don't know what the "enhanced mode" on the 3d is, so will refrain from commenting specifically on that.

The normal mode and the salt mode both run at both 5 and 15 kHz simultaneously, but in slightly different ways. I wouldn't expect a big difference between the two with respect to picking up electrical interference, but there could be a difference of up to several decibels. Here we are 25 years after the intro of the CZ platform and this is the first time I've seen this issue being discussed.

Re: George Paine wrote years ago that 15 kHz is the closest frequency to 60 cycle interference.
Date: May 31, 2017 02:09AM
George was wrong about a few things -- very few. If he said something like that, it probably made sense in context even if it doesn't make sense nowadays removed from its original context.

Because we're in the line tracing business, we've actually done a bit of research on power line interference both as a signal to avoid and as a signal we want to detect.

Re: George Paine wrote years ago that 15 kHz is the closest frequency to 60 cycle interference.
Posted by: Texan
Date: May 31, 2017 12:11PM
The main interference I encountered was from other detectors.

Etrac, Safari, Fisher1235and 1236, .Lesche digger,Whites TRX pinpointer. Love to coinshoot and attend competition hunts.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: May 31, 2017 05:11PM
Nothing like a post from a metal detectng legend to remind me how ignorant I am technically.

All these years I thought the enhanced mode was 5 kHz and the salt mode 15 kHz, not running simultaneously in both modes.

For all of Dave's knowledge, and it is immense, I'm confident that I've used the cz-3d more for detecting in recent years than Dave has. The face plate lists the two modes as "salt" and "enhanced". I'm guessing Dave is referring to the "enhanced" mode as "normal" because that is what the mode was called on previous cz detectors. I presume it's a matter of semantics, and Fisher changed "normal" to "enhanced" because that setting was tweaked to pick up more old coins in high tone on the cz-3d.

As long as your sniffing about Dave, I have a cz-3d question for you. With his exacting testing in virtually inert Florida dirt, Tom Dankowski seems to get around half an inch, give or take a couple tenths, more depth on a dime in enhanced mode than the salt mode. Any ideas why? Also he says that finding a proper 5" coil for the cz can often be a challenge. Do you have any knowledge of this?

Date: May 31, 2017 06:26PM
The "normal" ("enhanced") mode has a slightly better signal-to-noise ratio than the salt mode. This is because cancelling the salt signal cancels some of the target signal as well-- especially small nonferrous which can even disappear in salt mode.

the CZ searchcoils require tight specifications and are difficult to manufacture. In general small searchcoils are harder to manufacture than larger ones. So it's possible there's more variability in the 5 incher, although this thread is the first I've heard of it.

Date: May 31, 2017 07:17PM
Thank you, Dave!

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: June 13, 2017 09:49AM
Couple of aspects to consider...If there is another CZ in the hunt you will be interfered with even at distances...also have to swing slow for max. depth and you need a fast unit two downers you need a fast machine where you can change frequencies....in other words keep your CZ at home and perhaps tecknetics or mackro users can give you some ideas...

Date: June 18, 2017 10:43PM
Texan
marcomo thanks for the advise. You should try a seeded hunt with an open mind.They are fun.

Especially when you win...

Congrats on winning that Patriot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login