Findmall.com

Fisher CZ Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
CZ6A or CZ3D anyone choose the older model?:smile:
Posted by: coinspader
Date: September 28, 2017 12:28PM
I have a CZ6A and I am considering the purchase of a CZ3D, just wondering if the CZ's have improved enough to justify buying the newer model.

You hunting in older locations ?
Posted by: therover
Date: September 28, 2017 05:15PM
The CZ3D was designed for pre-1950 spots where older coins may be hiding. The Enhanced Mode brings some of the older coins into the high tone area where on the older CZ models, these coins may hit as a mid tone. It also has 4 tones instead of 3 so the foil range (I believe) has its' own sound separate from tabs. 6a lumps tabs and foil into mid tone.

As far as performance goes, if your 6a is hitting dimes in the 10-11 inch range then you got a good one and a 3D would only help out in those older site conditions. Not sure how much more depth you could squeeze out that you aren't already getting with the 6a.

Last thing.....you can hunt without headphones with a 3D.

Re: You hunting in older locations ?
Date: September 29, 2017 01:00AM
I think I want them both.:smile:

Go for it !
Date: September 29, 2017 05:44AM
I have 4 CZ's so the more the merrier !

Re: CZ6A or CZ3D anyone choose the older model?:smile:
Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: September 29, 2017 08:41AM
Remember CZ6A is water resistant while the CZ3d is not....if you hunt extremely old areas the 3d is a plus...if not why fix what aint broke....

Date: September 29, 2017 05:00PM
I hunt in a very old park and it is carpeted with nails, we have gone over it many, many times with a multitude of different machines. The only targets left are masked, we still pull the occasional silver out but it is getting difficult, I was hoping to grab some older deeper coins with the CZ, We have pulled out seated dimes and shield nickels at great depths in this park, I even got a civil war mini ball at about 12 inches with a Minelab musketeer.:detecting:

Date: September 29, 2017 06:10PM
Fortunately CZ's go deep unfortunately they are easily masked by junk so may not be the proper unit under these conditions...

Posted by: Blissterd1
Date: October 02, 2017 09:18PM
Whatever you do, don't buy the newer "Chinese" (not really but many think that they are from there!) CZ3D's! They have nowhere near the depth of the older units. If I were you, I would find a CZ5 and have it converted to a 3D by Tom Dankowski. That is if you are looking in older sites for the old coins, otherwise an older CZ5 will outperform the newer CZ3D's hands down. The only difference is that the 3D will ring high on nickels and old deep coins. My CZ5 reads DEEP and is extremely accurate on ID. I can dig twice as many coins as my buddies with new machines!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2017 09:21PM by Blissterd1.

Date: October 03, 2017 06:46PM
is the CZ6A as deep as the CZ5?

Posted by: marcomo
Date: October 04, 2017 01:37AM
Blissterd1
Whatever you do, don't buy the newer "Chinese" (not really but many think that they are from there!) CZ3D's! They have nowhere near the depth of the older units. If I were you, I would find a CZ5 and have it converted to a 3D by Tom Dankowski. That is if you are looking in older sites for the old coins, otherwise an older CZ5 will outperform the newer CZ3D's hands down. The only difference is that the 3D will ring high on nickels and old deep coins. My CZ5 reads DEEP and is extremely accurate on ID. I can dig twice as many coins as my buddies with new machines!

Not true that all the newer 3d's are not up to snuff. There are newer El Paso units that have been certified as quite stable and proper by Dankowski with depth in his soil around the 12" mark. Then again, I remember seeing one El Paso unit for sale that had been certified to only 8.4". So there is risk involved with buying a new cz-3d unless you can put it together and test it first.

Part of the newer cz-3ds bad reputation apparently came from the early years of First Texas when, according to Dave Johnson, the techs were using an improper tuning procedure.

And while the Los Banos 1021 units are deservedly revered, there was still variance between the hot and cold ones.

I can only speak based on the cz's I've had myself and anecdotally from what other cz users with certified units have reported.

The only one who truly knows the numbers story would be Tom Dankowski.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: October 04, 2017 01:42AM
Dan-Pa.
Fortunately CZ's go deep unfortunately they are easily masked by junk so may not be the proper unit under these conditions...

Dan hit the nail on the head, so to speak. The last place I would want to run my cz-3d would be in a carpet of nails scenario.

Date: October 04, 2017 08:24AM
Rel depth of either depends on tuning...better chance of CZ6A being deeper...

Date: October 04, 2017 10:24AM
I am finding out the hard way when it comes to hunting in a nail infested area, I'm getting a mixture of high tones and grunts all over the place, a lot of the bent nails are giving me good signals in both directions when I X on them, getting highly frustrated because I like the machine but it just isn't cutting it in the park that I hunt in most of the time. The only success I am having in this park is with my Deus, even my X Terra is having major issues there.:sad:

DD coil and high recovery speed
Date: October 04, 2017 03:43PM
That is what you need in that park. Seems the Deus fits the bill.

The CZ with it's concentric coil, slower sweep speed and moderate recovery speed will not hunt that park as well as the Deus.

Possibly using the small 5 inch coil on the CZ may help out. Not sure if you have one. In either case, I still don't think it will hunt that park as well as the Deus from what you are telling us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login