Findmall.com

Whites MXT Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
The 9" whites spider coil. Is it made for my original MXT? Also, what is the weight?
Posted by: Chuck,Diggin it in Florida
Date: March 06, 2014 06:36PM
I did quite an internet search and didn't find my answer, so I thought I'd got right to the experts!
I'm 65 and not in great condition. I don't use my 950 anymore-it's too heavy. So, instead I have to use my Eclipse 5.3
I'm hoping this 9" whites spider coil will be lighter than my 950.
Thanks!

Chuck,Diggin'it in Florida

Re: The 9" whites spider coil. Is it made for my original MXT? Also, what is the weight?
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:52PM
Yes 9" Spider is made for the MXT but it is not that much lighter. 950 is 1.15 lbs. vs .9 lb for the Spider.

Info from White's website.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 06:59PM by Larry (IL).

Re: The 9" whites spider coil. Is it made for my original MXT? Also, what is the weight?
Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: March 12, 2014 07:44PM
I don't know the weight of just the coils as mine both have a lower rod attached but on my electronic postal scale, I get a difference of 4 ounces. To me, 4 oz can make quite a difference in the way a coil feels, especially after swing one for a few hours.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Posted by: Wayfarer
Date: March 13, 2014 12:25PM
Tom, I agree that 4 ounces can make quite a difference, especially on a coil that is way out at the end of the rod and has more leverage. Your 4 ounces jives exactly with White's published specs, 1.15 lbs. vs. 0.9 lbs. is indeed 4 ounces. Plus, the Spider rod mounting point is closer to the center of the coil, which will further improve the balance and "feel" of the coil.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has both coils who can compare them without bias. If the performance is exactly the same, then I will almost certainly buy the Spider.

Current detectors: White's V3i, MXT, XL Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Past: White's XLT, 6000D Series 3, Coinmaster 2DB, Minelab CTX 3030

Posted by: vito
Date: March 15, 2014 09:34AM
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/search-coil-compatibility-chart :whites:

but the 9" spider isn't on the chart at all.

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/prizm-9-spider-search-coil-1927 and here you can see all important under the tab "Full Specs".

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 09:39AM by vito.

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: March 15, 2014 05:30PM
It is a little bit lighter than the 950 and were the rod attaches to the coil, on the 9" spider coil it is closer in towards the center making the coil nicer and balance better. The old 950, the rod attached closer to the edge of the coil. But heck I would just leave the Eclipse 5.3 on. Its a great coil and does a good job at depth, and will do a better job in trashier areas.

Posted by: david bull
Date: April 07, 2016 09:44PM
Actually, the 9" spider Eclipse and the 5.3" Eclipse both weigh .9 oz. which makes a huge difference compared to the d2 coil.

Posted by: Lenny
Date: April 08, 2016 01:25PM
I have all three coils that I use with my MXT e series detector. Just my opinion the 950 coil and the 9" spider perform, for all practical purposes, the same when coin & jewelry hunting in non trashy areas. I really can not see any difference between coils except weight and where they mount on lower rod. That being said I am using the 9" spider more often due to the weight difference.

Date: April 10, 2016 12:48PM
The 10" D-2 coil that comes on the All Pro weighs in at 17.9 oz.,or twice the weight of the 9" MX5 concentric coil or the 5.3 Eclipse.Quite a difference for us older folks!

Chuck - Try the 6" x 8" SEF by Detech. Lighter & center mountedN/T
Posted by: ArizFlash
Date: April 19, 2016 09:24PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2016 09:25PM by ArizFlash.

Posted by: shafer44
Date: May 15, 2016 11:27PM
The weight White's lists their coils in is LBS, not ounces. 0.9 LB is 14.4 ounces 1.15 LBS is 18.4 ounces. I too am 65 and still pretty flexible and have my strength, BUT.....I like to hunt for long periods of time without fatigue!!! Bite the bullet, BUY YOURSELF A SWINGY THINGY ULTIMATE and you won't worry about the weight any more. The harness and your shoulder hold most all of the weight and you just guide the detector with your hand instead of having to hold up the weight and guide the detector. Before i got one, if I hunted all day, my opposite side lower back hurt and my arm felt like it was going to fall off. This does not happen anymore thanks to the harness!!!!

Retired and "diggin' it"

Detectors: V3i (6-21-2013) 2nd V3i (11-15-2015)
coils: 4x6 eclipse, 6x10 eclipse, 9" spider eclipse, 10" D2, 13" Detech
Sunray DX-1 inline and Whites TRX pinpointers

Date: May 17, 2016 08:47PM
The D-2 is now shown as 1.3# vs .9# for the 9" spider or the 5.3" Eclipse or a difference of 6.4 oz.That doesn't sound like much,but I managed to swing my MXT all Pro for three or four hours this weekend with no problem.This coil still puts the MXT at 3.5 pounds vs the 2.5 pounds that my F-19 weighs.Detector weight and ergonomics should be a major consideration when choosing a detector.

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: May 20, 2016 06:36PM
I had a 9" spider on an MX-5 and mxt-pro. Now I have an m6 and just bought a 9" spider for it. It may not be much lighter on paper but I think the more centered location of its mounting ears makes it feel much better balanced than the 950 coil.

Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5
CTX 3030
Silver uMax- 8" Donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado

Posted by: ArizFlash
Date: May 25, 2016 10:06PM
Chuck,

When the MXT All-Pro was first released White's had a special of both the D2 coil and the 9" Spider coil as part of the introductory package. So yes, the 9" Spider coil will work on the MXT as well as the V3i/VX3.

Posted by: sweeper60
Date: November 20, 2016 05:14AM
Just going back over this thread and the advertised weights of these Coils are way off, because when you factor in the Coil Cover and the lead and the plug these Coils can be and Are over Half a pound heavier that the weights that are Quoted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login