Findmall.com

Whites MXT Users Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Need advice
Posted by: SANMAN
Date: April 24, 2016 06:12PM
I have a MXT detector what would be the next step up for another detector?

Re: Need advice
Posted by: John (Ma)
Date: April 25, 2016 11:06PM
Matter of opinion, but you have a very capable detector now unless you want multi frequency which is always a matter of preference which needs to be researched on what bells and whistles you want

Posted by: irnwrkr
Date: April 27, 2016 08:34PM
Go with mx sport

Posted by: Albert
Date: April 27, 2016 10:04PM
you already have the best for land and nugget hunting. Salt water pi.

Posted by: david bull
Date: April 27, 2016 10:52PM
The MXT and the MX Sport both weigh four pounds.Unless you're hunting in the rain or around a lot of water I don't think you would gain that much.

Posted by: Nancy-IL
Date: April 28, 2016 05:43AM
I'm with others, the MXT is in my opinion one of the best turn on and go machines made. You've got a keeper there. JMHO. I have loved mine all 15 years of use and still going strong.

HH,
Nancy

Nancy - Central Illinois
Am I getting rich? No, just having fun!

MXT
MXT PRO
with an arsenal of coils.

*Peoria Area Treasure Hunters: Member since 2000.
President 2013, 2014
Secretary 2010, 2011, 2012.
Vice President 9 years.

The General: 02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016. R.I.P. Big Boy and we'll see you at Rainbow Bridge

Posted by: basstrackerman
Date: April 29, 2016 05:14AM
In the whites line? None!! You have the best machine made for most things... You may find an mxtpro like Nancy just stole on the forum sales ;) it has a few extra options.. I've compared many many Detectors next to an mxt and you have to go high dollar of other brands to match or exceed.. And the exceed is very slight..

I retired from ohio department of corrections in 2008. Been a foster parent 20 years. Adopted 2 teen boys in 2013 ;) been swinging a detector since 1978 at age 11.. Ive used many different detectors and brands.. I use what works .. I wont stop til my heart does! Bill

Posted by: Nancy-IL
Date: April 29, 2016 05:51AM
I was very lucky getting that MXT Pro machine and a lot of thanks to OregonGregg. :thumbup:

Here's my first finds with it. We had already hunted the yard before and it was slim pickings.

Nancy - Central Illinois
Am I getting rich? No, just having fun!

MXT
MXT PRO
with an arsenal of coils.

*Peoria Area Treasure Hunters: Member since 2000.
President 2013, 2014
Secretary 2010, 2011, 2012.
Vice President 9 years.

The General: 02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016. R.I.P. Big Boy and we'll see you at Rainbow Bridge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 05:53AM by Nancy-IL.

Posted by: OregonGregg
Date: April 29, 2016 08:54AM
Nancy I miss my MXT Pro :cry: Was glad to see you get the machine, it found a good home. As far as the posters question, I agree, I feel the MXT All Pro is still Whites best offering at this time. I would hold off on the Sport a while and see how it all shakes out, and at this time you will be limited to a larger coil (10"DD ,950 and 6x10 DD) no smaller coil is available. If you have the original MXT, I guess the upgrade would be to the MXT Pro or All Pro, giving you the tones option, ground grab button and a back light.

Makro Racer & Racer 2
Nokta Fors CoRe
Whites M6

Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: April 29, 2016 09:09AM
RACER 2 by Makro! See how long this stays up as he did not ask for another Whites.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: April 29, 2016 10:39AM
A lot depends on how you are using your MXT and what "moving up" means to you. The MXT is one of the best multi purpose detectors out there from nugget hunting to deep silver. To "move up" you will have start moving towards a specialty detector (more depth, better ID, smaller nuggets, waterproof and the like). If you want more depth and better ID on deep silver, the E-Trac or CTX 3030 would be better but you lose sensitivity to the lower conductors and the Analog audio the MXT is so well known for.

My choice for moving up would be the White's V3i and uses the same coils as the MXT as long as they are V rated but it has a long learning curve and very advanced....... not for everyone.

IMHO, to move up from the MXT and cover all bases, you need two detectors. My choices for my kind of hunting are the E-Trac for deep silver and the V3i for relic hunting and small gold. :shrug:

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: vito
Date: April 29, 2016 12:37PM
Hi there, Sanman.

How do you like the MXT and what detectors have you used before?

Posted by: basstrackerman
Date: April 30, 2016 07:21AM
Yeah Nancy rub it in ;) great buy!!

I retired from ohio department of corrections in 2008. Been a foster parent 20 years. Adopted 2 teen boys in 2013 ;) been swinging a detector since 1978 at age 11.. Ive used many different detectors and brands.. I use what works .. I wont stop til my heart does! Bill

Kind of tough to answer. :shrug:
Posted by: Monte
Date: April 30, 2016 08:01AM
SANMAN
I have a MXT detector what would be the next step up for another detector?
The original MXT was a nice model entry 15+ years ago and I was quite pleased to add it to my detector arsenal. You can pick two search coils to suit your hunting needs and be good-to-go.

As for a "next step up" it would depend on what you are looking for in a detector, features and such, as well as what applications you will be using it for. Coin Hunting, Relic Hunting, Beach Hunting, Gold Nugget Hunting, etc. Both the 'type' of hunting you usually do, as well as the ground mineral make-up you will search in, and the amount of trash you will encounter, be it spare or dense and whether a lot of modern debris or old discarded iron trash.

So without more clarification on desired features or planned use, I will give you this answer:

If you want to stay with a White's made detector, the MXT Pro is the obvious next step up, and I made that move myself with the MXT Pro's release. The detector is called the MXT All-Pro now, but they are the same detector except for an 'All' in the side decal name. With the MXT Pro I preferred the newer 9" spider-type Concentric coil for more open areas with low-to-modest trash, and the 6½" diameter Concentric coil (the 5.3 Eclipse) for most of the sites I hunt where I deal with a lot of trash, especially ferrous junk.

When I still used White's models a lot, the newer and lower-cost MX5 was also a handy model and provided me a few different adjustment functions. It is more digital than the MXT Pro, and it is also a very good 'general purpose' detector from White's, depending upon where you usually hunt. I haven't found a modern model in the White's line-up that I feel is more versatile than the MXT Pro and a 'back-up' MX5.

The only "... next step up for another detector" for me was a move to a unit that was also still 'simple' to operate, 'functional,' and provided me the level of 'performance' I wanted and needed for the types of places I usually hunted, and that meant a change to a different make and model detector. in my case, I wanted/needed something that handled dense iron trash well, gave me a 2-Tone search mode like I use most often in iron nail littered places that are clean to only modest trash, and a processed 3 or 4 Tone search mode for Relic hunting dense trash, or for Coin Hunting most urban environments.

I wanted an All Metal search mode for general purpose use and also for Gold Nugget Hunting, plus a Salt water Beach Hunting mode. Additionally, I wanted to not only have an Automated (Ground Grab type) Ground Balance and Tracking GB option, but I also wanted Manual GB capability not provided with the MXT series. Plus good search coil options, especially a very functional smaller-than-stock search coil for handling dense trash.

I checked out a number of competitive brands, especially considering Fisher, Garrett and Teknetics lines as I also wanted a functional visual Target ID and perhaps a few other options, such as Iron Audio Volume adjustment, Tone Break and such. I put in some hunting time with Fisher F19's, Garrett AT Pro's, Teknetics G2 and Omega model, preferring the Omega 8000 out of these, but all still fell a little short of what I was looking for and my MXT All-Pro remained #1 in my personal arsenal until January of last year when I replaced it with a Nokta FORS CoRe.

A Makro Racer replaced my MX5, and as time has progressed I have moved to my two current favorite 'general purpose' detectors which are the Nokta FORS Relic and it is complemented by the Makro Racer 2. To ME, these models are both capable of providing me better all-around performance and features than the MXT All-Pro I used to use, and both have an MSRP that is much less than the MXT All-Pro.

Is the MXT All-Pro still a better detector than the original MXT? Yes, in my opinion it definitely is. Matter of fact, I think the MXT All-Pro and MX5 are the two best all-around detectors in White's current line-up that have proven their abilities and reliability, all while being reasonably affordable. But I also feel the MXT 'platform' hasn't been enhanced and improved much yet with a highly functional, problem-free model and the are better models at reasonable prices to compete, which is why the FORS Relic and Racer 2 are my #1 and #2 use detectors today with 'specialty application' models to support them.

Best fo luck in your move ahead from the MXT original, be it an MXT All-Pro or a competitive model.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe (Using mainly the 'OOR', 5", 4X7½, 5X9½ open-frame DD's or 7" Concentric coils as needed. Other coils on-hand.)
Tesoro:
Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave (With either a 6" or 7" Concentric coil in use, or maybe 8X11 DD on the Vaquero.)

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: Kind of tough to answer. :shrug:
Posted by: vito
Date: April 30, 2016 11:15AM
Monte
Is the MXT All-Pro still a better detector than the original MXT? Yes, in my opinion it definitely is.

Hello Monte.
Please, can you tell me what makes the MXT Pro a better detector in your opinion?
Right now I don't feel missing anything on my basic MXT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login