Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Huntin
Posted by: Surfline
Date: January 17, 2010 01:48PM
Fellow hunters,

For those of you that use the Excalibur, what Sensitivity settings do you use when hunting on the beach? Auto or just a click out of auto or fully to the right (clockwise).

Thanks,

Surfline

Re: Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Hunting
Posted by: muggsc
Date: January 17, 2010 03:35PM
Most of the time between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. I've only hunted on the east coast from NJ to Key West. Never had to move it much.

Minelab CTX 3030..and..Minelab Excalibur 11

Re: Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Huntin
Date: January 17, 2010 05:44PM
Interesting. I am interested in depth. Does the sensitivity setting affect depth?

Re: Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Hunting
Date: January 17, 2010 05:54PM
I used to run mine too high and got lots of false noise etc. After about a year of that I read that turning it down would work a lot better. I dig deeper targets now and its a lot more stable turning it down. I rarely have to move it much to smooth it out. I'm sure you'll get a lot better explanations from others. Try it and you'll see that it works.
Cal

Posted by: SandPhantom
Date: January 17, 2010 06:45PM
Between 6-8 on the Excal II is what I use. Rarely do i use more. Im pulling coins pretty deep.

:usaflag: OIF Veteran
:usaf: 19 years and retiring in 2011.
:minelab: Excalibur II 10" coil
:whites: Vision/Spectra V3
:garrett: Pro-Pointer
RTG #755 privateer scoop
RTG #733 SandScoop
Nuttall longhandled scoop

Posted by: Dig
Date: January 17, 2010 08:43PM
I agree with Sandphantom. Between 6 and 8 is the ticket. If your looking for depth, hunt in pinpoint and when you get a signal switch back to disc and see if it nulls or sings. If it has no noise (your just hearing your threshold) dig it up until you can see what it is. I routinely dig rings and coins up to 20" this way.

Date: January 17, 2010 08:55PM
I have an older Excalibur. Is the sensitivity marked differently on the new ones?

Posted by: Gerry
Date: January 17, 2010 09:15PM
I have been running mine between numbers 4 & 5 will try between 6 &8 and let you guys know how I make out. I have been averaging a ring every 4 hours with sensitivity between 4 & 5, I hope when I get back to the beaches I normally hunt the conditions are similar. I have Clive's book and and he said when in doubt lower the sensitivity, I think I will
"EXPAND MY HORIZON, go for the gusto:hot:

Gerry

Date: January 17, 2010 09:20PM
What are 4&5 and 6&8 sens. settings?:confused:

AUTO? 6 and 8?
Date: January 17, 2010 09:33PM
The sensitivity knob on the older Excalibur 800 (which I have) is either Auto or clockwise. The only numbers are on the discrimination setting.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Surfline

Posted by: ToniSteve
Date: January 18, 2010 06:08AM
The highest setting is just before auto, so it is opposite most other control knobs.

Steve

Posted by: JOHNMARKHAM
Date: January 18, 2010 10:50AM
ive been running about 8 and seems to be just fine for me...:clapping::detecting:
found this ring at about 16 inches....:clapping::minelab:

My first Ring was a mens silver wedding band Oct/2008
My first mens diamond wedding Gold ring 3/22/2009
Home town Columbus Ohio Go Buckeyes....
living in Pataskala OHIO
Im missing the Fla beaches now!

1st machine Garrett Ace 250/with a second coil 9x12
2nd machine Minelab Excalibur 2 1000/with Pluggers 3 piece straight shaft rod and Pluggers chest mount assy with
Mel Parkers mod.for disc/am switch on hand grip
3rd machine Minelab Etrac
4th machine Garrett ATPRO/Stock coil and 5 inch sniper coil and 5x8 coil added,NEL coils being used too
5th machine Garrett ATPRO/Gold stock coil
Garrett Pin Pointer Pro,Also new Orange PinPointer Pro/Docs Treasure Screamer Amp/Black Widow headphones/Gray Ghost under water headphones
Mel Parkers @#$%& 105 headphones
Predator Tools Raven shovel and Lesche #85 hand digger...

Log onto my Facebook page and view my pics
of my finds.

Date: January 18, 2010 11:10AM
Thanks!

Posted by: kered
Date: January 18, 2010 11:56AM
too much sensitivity is detrimental to depth and clarity of the tones,( they will sound strained) you will get nulls where nothing is there, any slight touch of the sand may sound off but not always, you are better off with a more moderate sensitivity in all metal than trying to max out in disc, put it at highnoon in disc and go from there, less in all metal

Whites Surf Dual Field, SovGT/SEF 12x10 y XS2aPro/wot15, Uniprobe & sunray

Date: January 18, 2010 12:53PM
Thanks Kered,

When hunting the wet sand, my sensitivity dial is "clicked" to AUTO and the discriminate (top of the unit) is turned fully counterclockwise (1). I hunt in all metal mode, then switch to disc (bottom of the unit) if I want to know if the target is iron or not. I am looking for depth. What do you think about these settings? These settings have worked well for me in the past, but could I do better with some adjustments?

Thanks,

Surfline

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login