Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Setting AM for MAX Depth
Posted by: darksky
Date: January 18, 2010 01:28PM
Great info from you experienced hunters! I was using Disc 1, sensitivity at about 7 on my Excal II (11 O'clock on an older non-numbered Sensitivity unit) . When I hit a good target, I tried switching to AM and it was not as obvious a signal. This I thought strange. These were clad coins. I tried switching to AM when the Disc 1 signal was feeble and likely a deep clad coin, to see if AM signals would be more obvious, telling me I might be missing deeper targets in Disc1. Yet I thought that Disc 1 was at least just as clear of a signal. I'll have to check this again very carefully based on these posts in the thread here. So I was getting at least equal depth but still using discrimination to boot. Because I felt this was occurring, it made Disc the best mode to use.

Maybe I need to tune using method below???
example: If I am swinging in Disc 1, Sens 7, nice steady threshold, and just get a little fluxuation that is repeatable indicating perhaps a deep "good" non ferrous target, should this signal not become MORE obvious when I switch to AM/Pinpoint if this is a deeper mode? Or, should I switch to AM and if it is not more obvious. play with Sensitivity until it is more obvious? Then I know that AM will be going deeper, correct? This to me would seem a viable way to tune for Maximum Depth in AM over and above Disc 1. It may take some hunting to find a target that allows this, but what do you all think about this method?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 01:45PM by darksky.

Re: Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Huntin
Posted by: Surfline
Date: January 18, 2010 02:48PM
Great post. What I know is true is that AM detects deeper than disc. I will explore the "AUTO" setting vs. the "11 o'clock position" and report back at some point. Have you tried air tests or only tests at the beach?

Surfline

Posted by: darksky
Date: January 18, 2010 04:31PM
I'm not keen on air tests. I think that really, If I'm putting 3-4 hours in at a location, I'd like to to start with a tuning that has worked elsewhere and when the opportunity of running into a very obscure good target presents itself, do some diagnostics right then and there. I'd like to think that one ideal method is best for everywhere, but could it be that certain ground conditions make Disc deeper than AM? It will be easy to test things like that over time. By the way, I'ver heard very few positive comments on Auto. I'd be very surprised of you go deeper on Auto. Most comments that I have read are that Auto will lessen depth and that the first thing to do is click out of auto!

If you run into a target at the edge of detectability, its an opportunity to test your machine in many ways before digging that I think will provide much more info than an air test could.
The ground is such an integral part of the event of detecting that removing it to me results in not much of a conclusive test at all.

After reading the posts this thread, I keep asking myself why I did not take some time on my second hunt and do this more thoroughly? Why??? Because I was "DIG CRAZY!!!". Got to get it out da ground!!!!! I was like an early ape man in 2001, A Space Odyssey. Time to evolve now. I'll be anxious to hear your results. Can there be variance from machine to machine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 04:35PM by darksky.

Posted by: Dig
Date: January 18, 2010 08:50PM
Dont use the Auto setting.

Posted by: kered
Date: January 19, 2010 02:28AM
forget AUTO you will lose an amazing amount of depth, i would only suggest auto in a real highly mineralized zone when nothing else seems to help quieting the machine.

An easy thing to try, put sens at 12 oclock and go hunt in disc, when you find a quiet target switch to auto and quite often it will disapear or be very broken, you have the same difference in AM vs disc, hunt in AM till you find a target switch to disc to check for iron, sooner or later you will come across a target that is very faint in AM, switching to disc mode you won't pick it up at all and will have to scrape off some sand to get it to register, if you get a iffy null/beep scrape of a bit more and look for a solid null before leaving it, quite often that iffy null will turn out to be a good target.

Whites Surf Dual Field, SovGT/SEF 12x10 y XS2aPro/wot15, Uniprobe & sunray

Posted by: Serge
Date: January 19, 2010 07:12PM
My point of view on that,

If you get a very faint signal in AM, for sure you it may disappear by switching to Disc. A good stable setting for AM, in my beach, is sensitivity 4 (excII). A good stable setting in disc. is sensitivity 8.
Since the sensitivity setting react more in Disc. mode than in AM mode, you can not just turn AM to disc. to do the test. You must play with the sensitivity to.

Disc mode with sensitivity 4 is good to find a tire rim at 4'' deep, but not good for small deepies. Test between AM and Disc. have to be made with a good stable setting in each mode.

Has i said, since the sensitivity setting react more in Disc. mode than in AM mode, there is a turn point were one mode will get deeper than the other mode. That point with my excII 10'' standard coil, in my beaches, on wet or dry sand, is around 7,5 sensitivity. If I can run my machine in Disc. mode with a sensitivity higher than 7.5, the Disc. mode will go deeper.. Less than 6.5 i switch to AM.

To do my test, i attach a line to different type of rings, bury them 24'' deep, 36'' apart, with the line out. I pull out each lines 2'' at the time and do all the test (sens, mode, speed, coil control,...) each time, and note them on paper.

Good luck guys in 2010

It's easier to go back home with a ring than a fish.

Date: January 19, 2010 07:36PM
Thank you!

Date: January 19, 2010 07:37PM
Thanks!

Date: January 19, 2010 07:38PM
OK!!

Posted by: kered
Date: January 20, 2010 02:06AM
Good point Serge, i don't have the same difference between modes but some machines obviously do as i previously wrote

"too much sensitivity is detrimental to depth and clarity of the tones,( they will sound strained) you will get nulls where nothing is there, any slight touch of the sand may sound off but not always, you are better off with a more moderate sensitivity in all metal than trying to max out in disc, put it at highnoon in disc and go from there, less in all metal"

Each machine is different, the hunting grounds too, some claim better depth in disc mode at some locations, although this is not true where i hunt

Whites Surf Dual Field, SovGT/SEF 12x10 y XS2aPro/wot15, Uniprobe & sunray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 02:08AM by kered.

Posted by: Serge
Date: January 20, 2010 07:03AM
Yes i agree with you Kered.

Even with hi sensitivity, i am taking about good stable operation. The south Florida beach are very good for that.
Running the machine to hot, will bring out lot of falsies, null out some deep good target and give wrong response to some targets as you said. With experience, we can identify those deep signals but not the target.Anything coming out of the phone from a deep signal, have to be work out, just like we will do in AM.

Also, there is personal preferences. Working in AM, need 100% concentration. Working Little bit to hot in Disc. (were and when possible) will give me a more enjoyable hunt i will concentrate better to any signal.

I think what make that hobby so great, it is not only the finds, but also all those different settings, machines, ground, options,preference... and all those discussions and pictures exchange.

Ps : About the auto sens. It is OK for the beginner, for a Sunday after noon with your girl fried or for a very trashy land. It's the Automatic transmission versus a manual.

It's easier to go back home with a ring than a fish.

Date: January 20, 2010 05:52PM
Great input on the AUTO setting!!!!

Posted by: americantreasure
Date: May 18, 2017 06:39PM
HI MY NAME IS JOE , IVE BOUGHT A EXCALIBUR 1000 ON EBAY. IM IN CALIFORNIA , PALM SPRINGS I WILL BE HUNTING IN SAN DIEGO, AND MALIBU BEACH NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA. I WILL TRY KNEE HIGH IN THE WATER THEN ON THE BEACH. WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND. IM GLAD TO BE BACK ON THIS FORUM IVE BEEN AWAY FOR AT LEAST 8 YEARS. HAPPY HUNTING MY FREINDS .

Re: Excalibur Sensitivity Setting-Beach Hunting
Posted by: rottonr
Date: May 19, 2017 05:27AM
I run AUTO all the time. I have never tried other setting, I'm way to much turn on and go guy. I love hunting!!!

Posted by: Ruslan
Date: May 19, 2017 12:47PM
i used Excal maximum sensitivity (but not auto)
Auto or 8 if there are false actuation

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login