Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
$3,500.00 Platnum Engagement Ring Returned
Posted by: Hwhydah17172002
Date: June 30, 2012 09:51PM
Well it started out about a week ago, when I got a frantic e-mail from a gentleman saying that his wife had just lost there weding ring set on the beach. It was a very brief e-mail so I responded and asked all the questions and a day later I got a return message saying they were lost on Nantucket Island. It just so happens that I was making plans to visit the Island this weekend... They told me that they had rented a detector from a local shop for 2 days and only found a dime... I said no guarentees but if I made it over I would give it my best shot. I again e-mailed them and aske if I could get a better discription of what I was looking for, white,yellow,diamond,weddingband etc.... All I got back was a GPS location...... even better.... My wife being such a great sport said lets go and see what happens.... Honestly not 15 minutes after turning on my detector I had a Beutiful Platnum Diamond Engagement Ring in my scoop.... I had to do a little work on my end but it all worked out. Turns out they had about 40 people looking for the ring over the week on their hands and knees.... 5 minutes after locating the ring a woman aproached me and asked if I had found a ring that a couple had lost one last weekend. I told her I had it..... not sure who was more excited me or her..... lololol Anyway because all they sent me was their e-mail I didn't have a phone number but the woman's husband had it... I called her and asked for Emily and told her who I was and I didn't have to say anymore.... she NO Way.... She was still on the island but her boat was leaving in 45 minutes... I told her to hurry down to take a few pictures and discribe the ring and I would give it back to her... To a T it was hers ... Her husband was wearing the matrching ring.... A lot of hugs a couple of tears and a few stories as to how it was lost and off they went home to New York.... What a great day it was returning such a keepsake as that..... I never did find the wedding band... I gridded the heck outa trhat place but too many people squating on such a nice weekend... Thanks for looking.... What a great hobby....

Search slow and the sand will glitter of gold. Dig EVERYTHING
Leighton

WONDERFUL!!!!! What more is there to say! Good job and kudo's to you!N/T
Posted by: scubadetector
Date: June 30, 2012 10:06PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: $3,500.00 Platnum Engagement Ring Returned
Posted by: Gulf Hunter
Date: June 30, 2012 11:22PM
Looks like she has pirate skulls on her blouse Hwhydah.....she's a pirate fan NOW FO SHO! Nice to give back a recovery......otherwise who knows?

Gulf Hunter

Posted by: plymouthian12
Date: June 30, 2012 11:54PM
Great return

That is really awesome! Nice write up and great recovery!:clapping:N/T
Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: July 01, 2012 03:37AM

Detecting is the study of Humans interaction with topography, the untrustworthyness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the earth from whence it came.

Posted by: Cupajo
Date: July 01, 2012 05:55AM
Great job H!!:thumbup:

When a ring doesn't get found like the wedding ring, there are usually three possibilities.

The ring "walked away"!

The beach cleaning machine or another hunter got it or--

it's still there!!

Where so many people were searching for it there odds are in favor of it "walking"!

I agree CJ
Posted by: scubadetector
Date: July 01, 2012 07:52AM
I had the UNFORTUNATE experience of I think the very same thing. My local dive shop called me when somebody lost a ring off the back of their boat in its paid mooring slip one year. I went to look for it and they asked how much I wanted. I said absolutely nothing unless I find it and then some money for my air and time. THEN, I was advised that they found somebody else that looked for it. He demanded 300.00 up front and couldn't find it. I used a WHOLE tank in 8 foot of water and dug every single signal that was out there. I got a penny and a bottle top. I am absolutely positive the first guy found it and stole it along with the 300.00.

At least he was able to return the most expensive piece and probably the most sentimental one. Another wedding band should be easy to replace.

Hwhydah did a GREAT service for all of us.

Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: July 01, 2012 08:14AM
Makes you wonder how many people tell their spouses "I lost that big expensive ring, necklace, bracelet, chain, etc. off the back of the boat" only to have actually sold it to settle a debt or something...then the other spouse contacts one of us that spends a day hunting for something that aint there?:unsure:

Detecting is the study of Humans interaction with topography, the untrustworthyness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the earth from whence it came.

:shrug:Re: $3,500.00 Platnum Engagement Ring Returned
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: July 01, 2012 12:31PM
"only to have actually sold it"

When a mother asked me to watch for a nice gold chain and cross he teen lost in my favorite hunting spot I couldn't help but wonder if it was actually "lost"!!

Teens can spend a lot of money these days!:biggrin:

WTG great PI for our hobbyN/T
Posted by: KyBud(InezKy)
Date: July 01, 2012 12:58PM

In life, when we look back, we have regrets.
When we look around us, we have worry and fear.
When we look up to "GOD", we have "PEACE" and "HOPE".
"Live Your Life in a way, That No One Will Stumble On It"
Detectors Used:
Garrett GTI 2500 with 8" and 12" Coils
Garrett AT Pro with 8.5"x11" and 4.5" Sniper Coils
Garrett Ace 250 with 6"x 9", 8"x12" and 4.5" Sniper Coils
Garrett AT Pro with Double DD & 4.5" Sniper Coils
Garrett ADS II with 6", 8", 15" and Bloodhound twin coil

Posted by: artman60
Date: July 01, 2012 02:40PM
Way to go, never anything wrong with good deeds. Karma is a wonderful thing if you're on her good side. Artie

Posted by: Hank68
Date: July 01, 2012 02:50PM
Wow great story act of kindness goes along way, it's good to help the civilians when needed ! Thumbs up!

Posted by: Grunter
Date: July 01, 2012 04:10PM
Great Kudo's it will come back to you. I lost my wedding ring once while scuba diving. I didn't notice it was gone until I got home. My wife noticed immediatly and went into panic mode. I went back to the dive site and looked for about 4 hrs., others helped but no luck. I went home to sadly explain that I would purchase another and have another ceremony. I begin to hang up my wet suit,hoodie,boots and gloves when something fell out of my dive glove making a distinct ring on the walkway. My wedding band had stuck in my glove. Whew!!!!!!

Posted by: calibil
Date: July 01, 2012 05:52PM
How many people "loose valuables" just to collec t the insurance, times are tuff people are people

Good PR the Hobby...Good For YOU!!!!N/T
Posted by: bob.oz
Date: July 01, 2012 07:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login