Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Beach scoop assist handle
Posted by: Lee66
Date: December 16, 2013 04:21PM
Necessity truly is the mother of invention. After A friend convinced me to get in the water where the gold is, and after I discovered how much fun and how hard it is, I decided I had to have some sort of assist handle on my scoop. Horsing that thing out of the water full of wet sand will wear on anyone. I'm 6'2" and weight 225 and it sure wore me down after a couple of hours. So I went looking for something I could use to make one. I know that you can buy them, but down south, not too many places carry them. They are more common up north. Probably designed for shoveling snow. Anyway, I needed one now. So I found a solution that works well so far. I bought a rod holder, turned it upside down and put a wooden handle on it. You can easily move it up and down the handle to suit your height. The only thing I don't like is the angle of the handle, but I'm going to see if I can straight the angle with a pipe pry bar. The one I have fits perfectly on a standard shovel handle. I don't know if they make them small enough for the smaller metal handled ones.

Re: Beach scoop assist handle
Posted by: atexaspete
Date: December 16, 2013 07:20PM
I just got my new TREX and am looking for a good handle. Having a little trouble finding one that is 1 3/8" dia. Where did you get your handle? I like the assist handle too, great idea.
Thanks,
Mike

Date: December 16, 2013 07:46PM
Home Depot. Just a standard ash shovel handle. Warning. Don't honk back on it really hard when it's full of wet sand. Didn't think I could break that handle, but I sure did. Luckily I heard it pop and stopped. It just cracked where the handle meets the scoop. Been that way for months and still holding up well. When it finally does break, think I'll try a fiberglass handle.

Posted by: pasttom
Date: December 16, 2013 11:49PM
Funny, I broke/split the handle (ash from Minor Hardware) on my new T-Rex after a couple weeks. I wrapped it with gorilla tape and its been 8 months and holding. I use it 2 or 3 times each week all year.

Pastor Tom
Deus, Excal II 800, GBPro, G2, X3, HHPI teamed with a Welsh Corgi named Sadie

Date: December 17, 2013 04:39PM
Went to Lowes today and bought one of their cheap rakes with a fiberglass handle (a little longer than the shovel). At $10 it was cheaper than just a handle and this handle looks better. I going to try your assist handle. How do you get it to stay? Is it just a friction fit?

Thanks,
Mike

Date: December 17, 2013 06:26PM
Yep. They make different sizes of rod holder. I got lucky and found one that fits really tight. May be better to find one with a little looser fit and use a couple of zip ties to secure it. You never know how salt water will effect wood.

Date: December 17, 2013 09:59PM
I'll have to try a couple that I have laying in the garage tomorrow. I'll let you know what I come up with to keep it in place.

Mike

EXCAL II, 705, TREX scoop, Predator Raptor, Predator Little Eagle, Lesche

Posted by: DnD
Date: December 21, 2013 06:58PM
I went through two wood handles and one aluminum conduit....it really amazes me how much these little scoops can take. Kudos to the welder I suppose.

..........Garrett SH2 (PI), Fisher CZ-7, BH, Minelab Exp, RTG, and Stealth 720i ..........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login