Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: FLORIDA LAW regarding found jewelry
Posted by: JamesBondaka
Date: December 12, 2016 08:57PM
Going by what you have said....and all information is correct .I would personally say that its the coin collectors collection found BUT there is NO way to prove it....its all circumstantial. So, unless you knew of the theft/loss or had some knowledge of the case or any other details....I doubt you would be charged for finding.....coins. The proof lies upon the state to prove that a theft/loss has occurred...with that....they have to prove an exact item(s) were taken or lost. If they cant prove that its the exact item(s) in question, there is no way they can pursue the case.

................................*.................In Oregon, I will find a million dollars, one penny at a time!............Viva la diggo.................*.........................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If the hobby of metal detecting made perfect sense...everyone would do it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V3i ExpSe Xlt F75 Umax Dfx Mxt Gmt Ace ETrac 505 Gold & Coinmaster Deleon Mpx Prizm II Cz5/3D Goldengate 3D BH300 Ctx Jeohunter Tm-808

Posted by: lasergod
Date: December 15, 2016 05:38PM
I think that should include your time spent as a semi professional self employed treasure locator. Additionally, there are several rebuttable presumptions that could ensue, like cost by the "finder". Like what was the intent of the of the equipment used and how by the finder.
I would challenge in court who would provide the better return search. The Police or Hunter....... I believe the depend on these finds to auction.

Date: December 16, 2016 03:45AM
lasergod
I think that should include your time spent as a semi professional self employed treasure locator. Additionally, there are several rebuttable presumptions that could ensue, like cost by the "finder". Like what was the intent of the of the equipment used and how by the finder.
I would challenge in court who would provide the better return search. The Police or Hunter....... I believe the depend on these finds to auction.

I agree with you and that would be nice for us to be paid for our talents but unfortunately the law doesn't look at it that way . If there's a reward or finders fee as part of an insurance claim that would be one thing but I doubt any court is going to reward you for your actions for items that can be proved ...belongs to someone else. I would say the court would react by stating that no one forced you to metal detect so if you actually found somebody else's property then you should surrender it And it given to the rightful owner . It is then up to the owner to decide whether he wants to give you anything for your service or not.

................................*.................In Oregon, I will find a million dollars, one penny at a time!............Viva la diggo.................*.........................................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~If the hobby of metal detecting made perfect sense...everyone would do it~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V3i ExpSe Xlt F75 Umax Dfx Mxt Gmt Ace ETrac 505 Gold & Coinmaster Deleon Mpx Prizm II Cz5/3D Goldengate 3D BH300 Ctx Jeohunter Tm-808

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 03:49AM by JamesBondaka.

Good answer. Very correct. N/T
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: December 16, 2016 11:27AM
n/t

Posted by: tarajudy
Date: December 17, 2016 02:52AM
OK here's a true story by me TOM. While detecting on the beach in Virginia I found a nice men's gold wedding ring about size 10-11 no name inside. A fellow comes up to me and asks how am I doing I said OK some change and a nice ring, good luck have a nice day. About an hour later he comes over to me with a police officer and claims that ring is his and that I will not return it to him Officer said give it back to him or I will have to arrest you sir for theft. I gave it to him and said to him now you have a nice day. NEVER SHOW ANYTHING YOU FIND TO ANYBODY THEY CAN CLAIM IT'S THEIR'S AND GET IT FROM YOU WITH THE HELP OF THE LAW. THIS IS A 100% TRUE STORY.

Posted by: Sanderling
Date: December 17, 2016 10:41AM
Best not to share anything of value with the casual passerby. I usually tell them I am just finding a few coins. Tom, did the cop have the guy try the ring on? Sounds like he was giving the jerk every benefit of the doubt.

A fluke
Date: December 17, 2016 11:20AM
A few observations and questions for you:

1) when that fellow first stopped and chatted, at the time when you mentioned you'd found a ring, did you actually show it to them at that time ? If not, then couldn't you have asked him to describe it, in the officer's presence ? But sure, if you HAD shown him the ring @ the hour earlier, I suppose he could rattle off a description .

2) I believe I read somewhere else of something similar happening to an md'r . And the md'r .... holding the ring, said "tell me what the inscription is on the inside". At at point, the accuser/claimant backed away and left (knowing he could not cite an inscription). Turns out it was a bluff on the md'rs part, and there was NO inscription it it. But it was enough to flush out a false claimant.

3) I too, like you , have casually shared with passerbys on how I'm doing. Especially if a pretty girl on the beach comes up and asks what I've found, how it works, etc.. But just in general, I have no qualms small-talking about hunting. Unless I'm really busy and don't want to be bothered, I don't mind chatting with nice people. And as such, I have sometimes shown someone a good item (hey, we all like a good show & tell afterall, haha). And it's never occurred to me, at those times, that something like your situation could happen.

Sure, it's possible. Example, one time I asked a passerby if he could take a video clip, since my buddy and I were going to make a youtube video. A few targets later, I got a gold ring on live video dig. The passerby was astounded. I could have been victim to the same con. But looking back, nothing like this has ever happened to me, or anybody I know of. There's the occasional fluke story, like yours on a forum now and then. Along with the instinctive take-away warning to NEVER SHOW YOUR FINDS, etc...

Heck, the same caution has even been proposed for forum show & tell sections: That if you post your latest show & tell bragging rights, what's to stop someone from saying "hey that's mine"! So they claim to never post show & tell, not even to other hobbyists on forums such as this. Yet, .... last I checked, the forums are FULL of show & tell (that's what makes the hobby fun afterall, is the competition and camaraderie).

So what I'm trying to tell you is: The AVERAGE human being is not going to rob you and con you. You can *usually* walk the streets and not get mugged. Yes there are indecent con's out there. But the average passerby is .... just like you and I: The honest "guy next door" Joe 6-pack. Sure, don't throw caution to the wind. But on the other hand, I'll bet that if you showed 1000 of the next curious passerby persons who asked "how ya doing?", that this would probably not happen again. Ie.: a fluke. Just as in you can walk through a park 1000 times and not be mugged, but sure, now and then, you read in the paper of a mugging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 11:22AM by Tom_in_CA.

Date: December 19, 2016 01:18AM
tarajudy
OK here's a true story by me TOM. While detecting on the beach in Virginia I found a nice men's gold wedding ring about size 10-11 no name inside. A fellow comes up to me and asks how am I doing I said OK some change and a nice ring, good luck have a nice day. About an hour later he comes over to me with a police officer and claims that ring is his and that I will not return it to him Officer said give it back to him or I will have to arrest you sir for theft. I gave it to him and said to him now you have a nice day. NEVER SHOW ANYTHING YOU FIND TO ANYBODY THEY CAN CLAIM IT'S THEIR'S AND GET IT FROM YOU WITH THE HELP OF THE LAW. THIS IS A 100% TRUE STORY.

I have had this type of thing happen......once. About a 12 year old girl came up to me and ask me if I ever found anything....at this park. I said yes. She asked what I found which was a variety of things. She asked about a womens ring I found....and then she said it was hers.....and then it was her girlfriends ring. I said lets call her...she said her girlfriend didn't have a phone???? What 12 year old doesn't have ANY phone? I then said...."yellow gold, ring"? She said yes. I told her to go away as It was not yellow gold and because of her other answers....she was trying to con me. I also told her I was calling the police to question her about making false statements and trying to obtain this ring. She disappeared.

Re: Personal "eye opener" about this issue :
Posted by: John(Tx)
Date: December 19, 2016 09:36AM
Hey Tom,
You can always change your email address but that sucks that they want you to turn everything in, don't think so, why spend some much frigging money on a machine, let the person that lost the item buy themselves a machine and look for it. I may be wrong but I just won't do that.

Posted by: pasttom
Date: December 21, 2016 12:37PM
As long as we are swapping war stories... A few years ago I was hunting my local beach late one summer day. Some kids came up to see what I was doing and I happened to hit an iPod in a blue Hello Kitty case. A maybe 12 year old girl took an interest in it and ask to look at it. Shortly they lost interest and ran off, I went back to hunting. 45 minutes to an hour later a maybe 18 year old guy came up and asked if I'd seen an iPod and described it to a T. Without thinking I gave it to him. As I left the beach I saw him leaving with the 12 year old and several others. Lesson learned. Best find in a long time went home with a family of grifters raising a child in the family trade.
When I am asked about finds I say, "Mostly trash and a few coins, mostly pennies." and if they press, "I can often make a dollar or two an hour doing this, but at least I get trash off the beach!" And I don't hunt with a bunch of kids clustered around. I walk briskly down the beach until they drop off (I am swinging but only stop for a GOOD signal). :detecting:

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Date: December 21, 2016 09:24PM
crazy story ! Thanx for sharing .

Date: May 26, 2017 09:58PM
me toooooo

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: May 27, 2017 12:01PM
Pssssst----Loose lips sink ships. aND iDIOTS.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: June 01, 2017 08:38PM
I never find anything but clad and junk jewelry. That is my standard answer to anyone who asks. I never show anyone something that I have found while I am in the process of detecting. If I don't talk how would the police know that I had found something.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Date: June 14, 2017 04:49AM
Had a couple come up to me about 2 years ago after they saw the ring I just dug up was theirs and would call the police if I did not give it back to them I said go ahead I'll wait right here.
police came ask to see the ring I said look inside and tell me the name you see on this wedding band. It was my name ,it was my test ring I use to set up m detector on the beach.
Officer ask to leave the beach with him. out come????????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login