Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Hunt on frozen lake surface
Posted by: sdesic
Date: January 29, 2017 12:49PM
Hunted for one hour in freezing water of salt lake (pool).
Wanted to test equipment and my self.
Water temp was 3C / 37F.

Loot

Silver bracelet and some coins (about $2.30 in US $)

There is video of this hunt on my channel.
video

Geotech Surf Pi Pro - TGSL EDU - White's 6000 DI PRO SL - Teknetics G2 - Fisher 1280 X Aquanaut - Minelab Excalibur II

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/sdesic

Re: Hunt on frozen lake surface
Posted by: rottonr
Date: February 02, 2017 06:18AM
Can you say Brrrrr. Great results!!!! WTG..

Date: February 02, 2017 10:43AM
Don't know many people still hunting cold waters of Northern hemisphere.

Posted by: WaterHound
Date: February 14, 2017 04:40AM
Yes me waterhound northern Michigan! But I got a cold now I'm water logged and my wife and other detectorist are saying get out of the water the seasons over your sick ! I better take a break

Date: February 14, 2017 04:45AM
You must see what is going on in California right now...

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiICx6Czt8w
First hunter to show actual footage
(In Spanish)

Posted by: voorhees231
Date: February 25, 2017 10:51PM
I will soon be starting to hunt the frigid waters of the inland lakes in west Michigan. Just purchased a MX Sport, and 5mm waders that are equipped with 1600 grams of thinsulate in the boots. We had a change in weather and got 2-3 inches of snow today so I am going to try and get out tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how that goes. Season can go all year round now!

Whites V3i, MX Sport, M6, 10" DD, 9.5, 5.3 Concentric. Whites TRX, Detector Pro Pistol Probe. Oldest Coin 1854 Seated Dime.

Date: February 28, 2017 09:49PM
Hey! Voorhees231 where ya denning up I am from north west mi by traverse city, you picked good waders for this cold water l wish i got the thicker ones, I got frog togg 3 mil, not enough on my feet, my legs sweat but the cold comes up through my feet, hey what kind did you buy, and the price , I sure did good buying 31 inch gauntlet trappers gloves from a store in Gaylord , I filled the short ones to many times with cold water bending to scoop something at waste deep. The bay did not freeze this year, or most rivers , just got to be carful not to get hyperthermia , shivering is a last warning to get out and warm up, I'm interested in what you find in that bath water I just found a gold heart at torch lake Michigan, warterhound

Posted by: voorhees231
Date: March 04, 2017 11:43PM
WaterHound I live in Montague just south of the Silver Lake sand dunes. I picked up some Winchester 5mm 1600g thinsulate neoprene waders from Dicks for $220.00. Are those trapper gloves insulated well? I also have been looking at these on E-bay fro around $30.00.

Whites V3i, MX Sport, M6, 10" DD, 9.5, 5.3 Concentric. Whites TRX, Detector Pro Pistol Probe. Oldest Coin 1854 Seated Dime.

Date: March 11, 2017 03:05PM
Late getting back to you voorhees 231 , but the trapper gloves really are not insulated. the 40 or 50 dollar pair have a thin lining., l wear thin garden gloves. They're a little tight , but I can still grab a pulltab or coin out of the scoop . and one size fits all , but its better than filling your glove with ice water. The only other thing I could come up with are electrician's gloves but those things are high dollar two or $300 a pair. the gloves I got are called Scorpio Ansell. I got them from a trapping store in Alpena. I've tried the rough surface gripper gloves that are full arm-length and those cracked by the thumb and I've also tried the pair that go all the way around the shoulders that are green and those leaked in the seam. I've noticed that 18 inch or a little longer neoprene gloves work if a guy doesn't go deeper than waist deep. It's always good to have an extra pair. Thanks for the tip on where you got the waders. I definitely am going to have to get a pair of those for next year and you sure are in a good area by silver lake dunes. try Google Earth satellite it'll help you find alot of the swim holes. you can zoom right in and see if they're sandy, where the parking is, etc. it's pretty cool. I've mapped out a lot of places for this summer's hunting. good hunting and I hope you find a big fat class ring , even better one with no name in it , waterhound

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login