Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: can a detectorist ask for to much permission ?
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: April 01, 2017 11:45AM
doc holiday232
..Go Stealth ...

Sort of like nose-picking. Not necessarily illegal. And no one "asks permission". But we all sort of ... uh .... use discretion in our timing "so as not to offend the squeemish". In any given county with a population of 500,000 people, I'd wager to say that only a single one of those is of a purist archie mindset, who knows or cares about any such 50 yr. minutia. So is it our job to hunt down a pepper that person with questions to get his love and adoration ?

In the state of CA, for instance, we have cultural heritage verbiage in our state park rules. And if you follow through long enough and hard enough with definitions to words, I have no doubt you'd eventually come up with something to do with the magic "50". Yet, oddly, you can hunt state park ocean beaches here till you're blue in the face, and no one cares. Seems to me that it's better to simply leave it that way, than to go "seeking clarifications".

Posted by: Mkus
Date: April 07, 2017 08:15AM
I hunt beach and parking areas near beaches and around houses in the "off season" and wear headphones
I dont get bothered if I do I just say sorry and move on.
I always make a neat clean plug to.
I been killing the silver around them!

Date: April 07, 2017 10:15AM
Mkus
.... I dont get bothered

So you take that to mean that no one cares . And if you're not bothered as a general rule, then .... why rock that boat, eh ?

But here's what you need to do Mkus: Go to the powers-that-be that administer that beach or park. Start asking "can I?" type questions. Continue up the chain of command, higher and higher. Be sure to use words like "dig", and "take" and "holes" and "lawsuit" and "indian bones" and "cultural heritage". After all, you want them to understand the full implications of your request. You don't want to "mince words". Then your "pressing question" will no doubt land on the desk of a purist archie. And presto: You'll get your answer.

Then report back to the forum whether or not you "get bothered". Hurry. Go do the "right thing" :blowup:

Posted by: DJW
Date: April 07, 2017 11:37AM
Old saying I go by: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission

Date: April 07, 2017 11:45AM
DJW
Old saying I go by: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission

And I would even go so far as to say "nothing to 'beg forgiveness' for ", if no one is there that gripes or cares. In other words, the 'pat saying' just assumes something is wrong in the first place. I realize that in this case, if someone cares to sleuth deep enough and long enough, they *could* find damning verbiage. But at what point does it become something akin to "spitting on sidewalks in NY" ? Not saying to throw caution to the wind, but ........ at some point, it's possible to worry too much about things of which no one (that will ever be within 1000 miles of you) even cares or thinks about.

Posted by: DJW
Date: April 07, 2017 12:43PM
Was at a local schoolyard one dark evening hunting with headlamp when some young fellow leaving asked if I had permission to do what I was doing! Told him 'sure did' last time I paid my taxes there was an entry for Public Schools! He went on his way with no further questions or comments, he thought I was digging for worms...

Garrett.AT-PRO
Whites V3i
Whites XLT
Deus XP

Mid-West MI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login