Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Need SS scoop advice
Posted by: borntofli
Date: April 02, 2017 03:48PM
Looking at big SS scoops for in water hunting.... Do I want 1.5mm thick or 2.0 mm thick scoop...... Will the 1.5mm scoop eventually fail///??? I had an aluminum scoop before, and after 1 summer it failed...

Thanks for your input.... So happy to get back hunting.......

Re: Need SS scoop advice
Posted by: iqwozpoom
Date: April 02, 2017 06:13PM
I just picked up a scoop from "Muck the Digga". If you are looking for a nice scoop at a great price I will wholeheartedly recommend it. Mine came with a fabricated grip for your handle as well! 2mm steel, made in the uk and at a price barely above those random Ukranium scoops. It's a little heavy at about three pounds but built stout!
I'll post a review of it some time in the future. It is a great working class alternative to some of the more well known scoops but is deserving of the same attention. As far as 1.5 vs 2mm, it seems that most of the well regarded scoops use 2mm. If 1.5mm steel could be used and give the same results there would more of them available. The only manufacturer I see offering 1.5 is rtg and that is only for some of their smaller models. Good luck and HH!

Posted by: zigzag4
Date: April 03, 2017 06:43AM
Look at the stealth scoops. A little expensive but American made and guaranteed for life. People love them.

Posted by: GeorgeinSC
Date: April 03, 2017 09:07AM
I use the T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop. It weighs 3.5 lbs. Built like a tank and has dug me a lot of treasure. The Stealth brand of scoops are Highly recommended. A bit expensive but they come with a Lifetime Warranty. That warranty alone is worth considerable dollars.

Those foreign made scoops will fail some time in the future and you will be spending more money to replace them. Buy good quality and it will last much longer.

Minelab Sovereign GT With an assortment of coils
Garrett Pro Pointer
Leche digging tool
Minelab Excalibur II
T-Rex 9.5 wet sand scoop

Date: April 03, 2017 01:09PM
I ended up buying this one.... 2mm...http://www.ebay.com/itm/182163102489?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

. This was all i could afford.... dont want to be using a shovel at the beach.... Its all sand here, (s. texas coast)...

Detector and scoop should be here by thursday, lots of rings waiting for me at the beach......

Tks for your input.....

Posted by: Champ Ferguson
Date: April 03, 2017 01:43PM
That'n will do you just fine. Good luck!

Minelab CTX
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Safari

Posted by: Dig
Date: April 09, 2017 07:23PM
I recommend the Sunspot 920ix

Date: April 10, 2017 07:21PM
Scoop has small diameter support for handle.... had to sand down wood handle to fit..... Broke after 1 hour......... Now have metal handle, little heavy, but who cares...... You get what you pay for........

Posted by: veemaxx
Date: April 12, 2017 10:39AM
borntofli
I ended up buying this one.... 2mm...http://www.ebay.com/itm/182163102489?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

. This was all i could afford.... dont want to be using a shovel at the beach.... Its all sand here, (s. texas coast)...

Detector and scoop should be here by thursday, lots of rings waiting for me at the beach......

Tks for your input.....

I've used this scoop with both a wooden Homedepot handle and a metal handle for 100's of hours in sand, clay, and rocky gravel with zero problems and no sign of wear yet. When I first got it I tried to purposefully break it and it's held up fine. I hate clay on inland lakes.:(

Posted by: pasttom
Date: April 14, 2017 11:52AM
So much of life is a matter of being lucky (blessed?). The odds are a cheap scoop will fail, but sometimes they don't. A quality scoop will not, but at least its guaranteed. Like many others I have a collection of entry and mid level scoops acquired before I realized I would have been better off buying a quality one first. If you are going to be doing a lot of beach hunting, pay once and don't look back. Free advice learned at a price.

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Posted by: MANDAD76
Date: April 17, 2017 02:14PM
Dig
I recommend the Sunspot 920ix

+1....W/CF handle....gl and hh!

Spectra V3i
BHID 300

Posted by: The Seeker
Date: May 02, 2017 09:34PM
borntofli

Tks for your input.....

I bought this scoop about a year ago. I have been using it in the rocks for the last six months without any problems. The only thing wearing down is my arm :(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login