Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Beach hunting question from a turf hunter...
Posted by: jamesinwesttexas
Date: September 12, 2017 03:55PM
I have an infinium but have yet to use it much and never at the beach and I would probably dig all signals for awhile, but, from what I have read, at the beach, would tend to pay more attention to the hi-lo signals that weaken in reverse disc as that would be a good indication of a gold target, so I have read. That system seems to be the one to use cherry picking at the beach if you are after gold but would like to hear more on this from someone who knows. Good luck.

Posted by: sgoss66
Date: September 12, 2017 05:50PM
dewcon -- yes, I know you used an Explorer for a long time; I have been reading your stuff on here for years (back to when I was more active on the forum as a new Explorer user), and so I appreciate your insight on this issue. You are pulling me back toward my initial conclusion, which was to stick with what I know -- the Explorer. You are also not the first person to comment on it being a very capable beach machine, so I am wondering if I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot to try a new type of detecting AND do it with a detector I'm not familiar with at the same time...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger
Lesche 38D "King of Spades"

Norman, OK

Date: September 12, 2017 05:52PM
Thanks for the thoughts, James.

Why do you "have in Infinium but don't use it much?" Just curious. It does seem like a machine that would take time to master; perhaps moreso even than some others...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: jamesinwesttexas
Date: September 15, 2017 10:44PM
Steve I bought the Infinium for gold prospecting and for possible use at the beach. Since then life became a little more complex and I just have not been able to get to any of those places I dream of using the machine. I believe I will though. I have several other detectors that I do use occasionally. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 16, 2017 05:40AM
Steve....... if you dont know the beach then you may well shoot yourself in the foot unless you are just out there for a good time. BUT...... the finny is water proof with the ability to change coils and phones. Id stick to the Explorer on the dry sand thou. In the water with a multi freq you are looking at a ration of about 10 to 1...... dry sand 100 to 1. That all changes with a PI...... since we dont dig iron and you might get another couple of inches of everything. I like playing with a new machine and the Finny is a fun machine....... id recommend the 8" mono..... and right now with the storm that just passed......wet sand and shallow water is the place to be....... but there is a lot of tiny iron there. Just bring a good scoop...... and do what a dirt digger does best..... grid. On the explorer...... dont get hung up on high tones and near the water some of that falsing needs to be checked because foil sounds a lot like minerals.... may require more than one swing. You didnt say if the Finny has a pair of WATERPROOF phones. I personally like the Finny has a lot of options few PIs have....... shame they discontinued it. GL.....

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Date: September 16, 2017 07:28PM
dewcon, by "ratio" are you talking ratio of junk to good targets? Like for every 100 digs in dry sand, 1 will be a coin, jewelry piece, whatever? Not sure what ratio you refer to.

Yes, the Infinium I have borrowed has waterproof phones, I think...it has two sets, a blue, and a black Garrett pair. Not sure. It also has the 8" mono coil. But wow...it is HARD to get used to, so far. I have learned a few things, SLOW sweep speed. LONG sweeps over a target are needed, no "Minelab wiggle" here. LONG sweeps, for proper signal on a target. But still, wow. Tough to get used to.

I think the SE Pro is going to be the way to go, for me...

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Posted by: pasttom
Date: September 18, 2017 02:01PM
Hi Steve,
Dew is right on. I've used PIs for years on a beach I know well and I do well, but the learning curve has been pretty high. On a beach you don't know its a huge gamble that I would not take. A PI on a dirty/iron/trash heavy beach is pure heck! An explorer, Sovereign, Excal, CTX can shine on almost any beach.

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Gulf Beaches
Posted by: Daniel Tn
Date: September 22, 2017 11:30AM
Most of the gulf beaches have tractor pulled beach cleaners that go across the dry sand. They smooth out the foot prints, sand castles, etc and pick up anything recently lost or discarded in the dry. You can still find stuff but a lot of times you will go quite a ways without a signal. If you concentrate around the "rent a chairs" the tractors can't close to those and you might find some things. Most likely your best bet is in the water. Gulf Beaches do have an abundance of jellyfish so beware of that. I recommend water shoes or dive booties.

Re: Gulf Beaches
Posted by: junklord3139
Date: September 24, 2017 06:52PM
the beach rakes do clean up a lot of trash, but leave Rings, chains and coins. And as far as jellyfish go's, they are here only once and awhile. I live here in FLA Gulf coast year round. The moon jellyfish was here last week and now they are gone. If you don't live here ,don't talk like you do !!

Date: September 24, 2017 10:18PM
Thanks all, for the advice.

I will stick with the Explorer this trip. I have had a hard time getting comfortable with the Infinium, and what it's trying to tell me. I will run with what I know, and increase the odds of finding a few targets a little. Not expecting much, as a novice beach hunter (if even that!)

Thanks!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Re: Gulf Beaches ( junklord )
Posted by: Flintstone
Date: September 25, 2017 09:38AM
Hi Junk, what do the clean up people do with the trash after they clean the beach? What I was thinking if they dump it some place you could detect it. Might be a good place. Have you ever ask them? Get to know one of the truck drivers and ask. Just thinking to myself, flintstone

Posted by: junklord3139
Date: September 25, 2017 04:08PM
they dump it into a big metal can

Posted by: Flintstone
Date: September 25, 2017 09:52PM
OK, I just was thinking it might be a good place to hunt.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 28, 2017 09:27AM
No brainer Se Pro you only have 1 week down there so don't waste it trying to learn a new machine, especially the bobby pin king Infinium. Here's another reason to use the Se Pro, its excellent target ID will let you skip all the clad coins and concentrate on gold and silver. Leave the bazillion rotted zinc cents for others to clean up, skip the dimes too. Dig quarters for parking if you like, but keep moving and focus on gold signals and your odds of digging gold will skyrocket by not wasting most of your time digging modern coins.

Keep your Se Pro coil just off the wet sand, don't let it touch the sand, but keep it close to the wet sand. Smaller gold, gold chain crab claw clasps, and small jewelry like silver stud earrings you won't get much depth on them. Keep your coil flat at the end if your swings don't let it tip upwards else you may get a false.

Why avoid the dry sand? On the wet sand the ocean does some of the work for you, washing away the light weight bits of foil and trash. The dry sand will be a trash heap.

Here's the good news, the Se Pro dug all this gold

Here's the bad news, the Se Pro won't get a signal on gold this size even if you rub it on the coil. You likely will not dig any gold diamond stud earrings with the Se Pro. Big honker diamond solitaire rings with a thin gold band which orient stone down tipping the ring straight up on edge also unlikely with the Se Pro unless its flipping over in the surf line. Gold chains below a certain size also undetectable with the Se Pro. The Deus I have sitting on the charger in the kitchen however hits on all this gold below. TBD if it can handle the wet salt sand I may drive over to the coast to give it a try this weekend.

Dig pull tabs, one summer I dug 880 pull tabs and 1 gold ring that ID and sounded exactly like a pull tab, here she is a honker 1 carat that I sold for over $3,000

Date: September 29, 2017 06:05AM
Charles --

Appreciate the info, and encouragement regarding the SE Pro. I knew it wouldn't do well on the smallest gold, or gold chains/bracelets (if no pendants attached). But, I knew it would be a respectable performer on many rings, while also (as you said) allowing me to skip some of the "undesirable" stuff. Meanwhile, thanks for the info regarding the wet sand -- just off the surface, but not touching, and particular attention to keeping the coil level at the end of the swings. I do that anyway (the "level coil" thing) -- it's a big focus of mine, but I'll be sure to be doubly attentive over the wet sand.

THANKS!

Steve

Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett ProPointer AT
Lesche hand digger

Norman, OK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login