Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Been thinking of a waterproof detector for awhile.Any thoughts?
Posted by: Scottowl
Date: October 22, 2017 11:15PM
The soaking rain we had over the weekend has just about convinced me I need a waterproof detector. The question is, which one?

This would be used in fresh water only, and, since I don't swim, not used in depths of more than 10 feet. I would hope not even that deep!

I would also want to use it on land, in the rain, and prefer the smallest coil I can get.

The main contenders seem to be Tiger Shark and AT Pro, in all its forms. There is also a new Minelab lurking out there, or so I've heard.

I've read some like the Tiger Shark because of its affinity to small gold. To me, that means small aluminum and tin foil too. It seems to have some good target separation, and iron reject capability.

The AT Pro has iron volume, a feature I enjoy on the Racer. It seems to have a wider choice of coils as well. I have read it is a bit heavy, and top heavy.

The Equinox? I dunno. Does anyone yet?

Am I missing any choices? Price is a factor as well.

I would also be curious about a scoop recommendation. I would be in some rocky areas, such as river run gravel. Is there a better than average scoop for that application?

I have done a bit of reading on this subject, and will do more before a decision. Since I am not able to physically test these detectors, I would welcome some hands on reviews. I am leaning toward a used detector. One that I could recoup some of the investment should I later realize its not for me would be a bonus.

Racer 2
XL Pro
Classic IDX
UMATILLA COUNTY, OREGON

Re: Been thinking of a waterproof detector for awhile.Any thoughts?
Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: October 23, 2017 05:27AM
Looks like you are in Oregon so i dont know how youd pass up one of the new MLs coming out. The others are good choices a lot will depend on the targets you look to find. We also dont know how well the EQ will perform..... but the price is right and it offers a LOT of choices for an overall machine that will eliminate having a closet full of detectors. Always looking for a better mouse trap...... this may be it. It also looks like you have a price range.

Xcal II, Blue Xcal 1000, Sov GT, Exp SE
Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.
D. Meeker

Posted by: Hoser John
Date: October 23, 2017 10:37AM
Can't go wrong with a tiger shark-John

Posted by: beachbandit
Date: October 23, 2017 02:52PM
Hi did anybody see max I have not see him on all summer.

Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: October 23, 2017 06:17PM
beachbandit
Hi did anybody see max I have not see him on all summer.

He is well and mostly on Facebook now. Rare for him to post on the forums the last several years. I know we sure Miss the old pirate..

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

Posted by: rottonr
Date: October 25, 2017 03:03PM
You are looking at this the same way I did in 2011 when I got into water detecting. I was told and have learned a water detector goes beep on almost anything and would not work worth a darn in a park, field ect... hunts. My 2 cents worth. :)

Posted by: Scottowl
Date: October 27, 2017 09:10AM
I was wondering about that very thing, and that is the reasoning behind putting a limit on the budget.
There is no easy choice for me. Obviously I would like to try out that CTX 3030. Its not that budget friendly, and I have heard some stories about their repair process.
One thing that troubles me about the Equinox is it may have to go to the shop to have the battery changed. That seems unknown at this point.
I have been a Whites guy. When they announced the MXSport, I was going to get one. My not doing so turns out to be a good move. I would guess they have all the bugs worked out by now, but I have lost interest.
I have been reading about the Tiger Shark for a couple years, off and on. I keep going back to it. The only drawbacks are no VDI, and not much choice of coils. These are drawbacks to me, the uneducated lout that I am! For all I know, they may be positives!
AT Pro? Maybe. Possibly. There seem to be a few used ones out there.
Buying a detector is not like buying a car, where you can go down the block to see, compare and try out different models until you find the right one.

Racer 2
XL Pro
Classic IDX
UMATILLA COUNTY, OREGON

Posted by: ewtaylor
Date: October 27, 2017 09:48AM
I have an infinium and at pro. Been detecting for 30 years and they are the first and only water detectors ive owned. I mostly do relic hunting, but decided to try water hunting in the creeks, lakes, and possibly river crossings. I'm also a novice in seawater and discovered recently it isn't as easy as it looks. The infinium is really heavy. Even the coils are heavy. The At pro is my recommendation, mostly because you can get a used one for less than $400, easy.

just my 2 cents worth.

wayne

Posted by: goodmore
Date: October 27, 2017 06:27PM
Wait on the new Minelab.

Posted by: togamac
Date: October 30, 2017 06:55PM
I've been using the AT Pro for the past 6 years because I like getting into the water. It has paid for itself by finding 26 rings, mostly in fresh water but some in dirt too. I just upgraded to the AT Max but am not liking its sounds like I did the Pro. Am hanging onto the Pro for backup while I try to learn the AT Max. The Max is supposedly deeper than the Pro but it Squawks instead of Beeps. When you hit silver with the Pro it gives you a nice mellow high-pitched beep that becomes music to the ears.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

Posted by: pasttom
Date: November 10, 2017 06:28PM
A very subjective process. There are fans of every make and model. Do you prefer simple or highly configurable? Heavy or light? What kind of hunting will you do the most often and what type of finds are you most interested in? What is your budget?
Oh heck, wait for the Minelab.

Pastor Tom
7 Minelabs, 3 Makros and a few others - rebuilding inventory
under the watchful eyes of my Welsh Corgi Sadie

Posted by: DigDeepNow
Date: November 16, 2017 10:01AM
Looking forward to the release of the Equinox.

Posted by: tozz51
Date: November 20, 2017 01:07PM
I used an Excal both on land and in the water with great results

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login