Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Florida Keys Treasure Hunting??
Posted by: ldweber51
Date: March 22, 2008 09:39AM
Greetings!

In a few weeks my wife & I will be exploring the Florida Keys for our first time. Needless to say, we both are excited to do some metal detecting again.

We will be staying at a resort near Tavernier, which is located between Key Largo & Islamorada.

If someone knows of any beaches or ghost towns along the Florida Keys and are willing to share their experience, we would appreciate the information or tips from the area.

Thanking you in advance, Larry...

The Keys
Posted by: Ken Barton
Date: March 22, 2008 10:51PM
Hi
Thats a beautiful drive
I think the beaches in the keys may be some what of a let down for you.
The keys are in shallow water surrounded by reefs so there is not alot of wave action.
If I were you, I would just drive south and when you see a decent beach, stop and start swinging.
If you make it to Key West be sure and see the sunset from Mallory Square.
Have great trip HH
Regards

Kenny

Re: Florida Keys Treasure Hunting??
Posted by: gold-digger
Date: March 23, 2008 09:30AM
You may want to Google Earth the keys to see what you can on the beaches.

Posted by: soflajim
Date: March 24, 2008 06:29PM
You must stop at Holiday Isle mile marker 80 or 81 and have a Rum runner ! There is a little beach out back behind the hotel. Ive hunted there before and found some nice stuff. Go early and no one will bother you. There is a sand bar about 1/2 mile east that Ive always wanted to hunt, only access is by boat, alot of people go out there and party all day long .. Just a few miles south of there is a place called Annes beach, Its just past Bud and Mary's Marina on the left. Not a big beach, but all the tourist stop there and walk out on the sand bar. Actually the bottom is not real sandy, it's kinda like clay. When you get into Key West there is one beach on the east side (Smathers Beach I think). Thats about it enjoy your time down here.

Posted by: bob singal
Date: March 25, 2008 08:21AM
Dont worry too much about missing the sandbar off Islamorada. Sure, hundreds of people party out there at low tide, but i have hunted it numerous times and spent hours digging mostly bottle caps. There are literally thousands out there and very little else.

Posted by: soflajim
Date: March 25, 2008 10:03AM
Good to know that, always wondered if anyone has been there. I figured it would be real trashy, with all the glass bottles and cans.

Posted by: ldweber51
Date: March 26, 2008 10:45AM
Thanks a lot for the information everyone! It's been a long winter in Minnesota this season & only 13 days before I can escape it for awhile & power up the detector again. I may not find a dime buts that OK. I'm out enjoying the day! :usaflag: Larry... 'from the land of 10,000 lakes'[/b

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login