Findmall.com

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
can we dive the 1715 treasure coast wrecks?
Posted by: gasparflorida
Date: September 25, 2008 11:28AM
As long as we donot use a metal detector or are they completely off limits for rec. divers? What about boating/fishing in the same area? Anyone?

Re: can we dive the 1715 treasure coast wrecks?
Posted by: deerman
Date: September 29, 2008 08:40PM
NO Not without Mel fishers say so it also a good way to get arrested for trespassing on his wrecks and maybe shot at

The way I understand it, you can.
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: October 01, 2008 03:43PM
You can dive to look at the sites anywhere along the coast, but you cannot detect them or attempt to recover artifacts from them.

Posted by: gasparflorida
Date: October 01, 2008 04:40PM
I've read divers logs who did rec.dives on the wrecks, no treasure hunting. It didn't say if they had to obtain permission from mel's company. I can probably call his daughter at the museum there and ask her....Sure don't want to end up in davies locker.

Posted by: Black Davy
Date: October 31, 2008 02:25PM
You can do just about anything on or in the water around the wrecks. The thing you can do is retreave artifacts. The leases go to the mean low tide line on the beaches for the claims. That is why you are not supposed to detect in the water in the area of the wreck leases. You can swim, surf, fish etc. just no treasure hunting. I have worked the treasure coast a few times and this is pretty much how it goes. There is a bunch of new proposed regs on treasure hunting the wrecks from the state of Florida that are going around right now so it is best to really make sure you dont go after any treasure once you are in the water. Technically if you are in the surf at low tide and the water is constanly on your feet you can't dig it!

Take what you can, Give up nothing!
Black Davy Condmach
Garrett Infinium LS
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTAx 550
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Compass Yukon 94-IB
Black Davy Dock Dredge Rake
Black Davy Hookah Diving System

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login