Findmall.com

The "Prospecting" Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
anyone prospect for gold in Michigan's upper peninsula ?
Posted by: WaterHound
Date: February 20, 2017 07:03AM
Anyone looking for gold in the upper mi , its been known to have a few gold mines , and some still working I think! And I heard panning can be done as well, but I was wondering if someone has used metal detectors to find gold, my wife and l are planing a over due honey moon trip up north going along lake superior around copper harbor and back down along lake mi side , looking for friendly local detectorist who might want give us some pointers on where to find gold and raw copper pieces , thanks for any help, waterhound

Re: anyone prospect for gold in Michigan's upper peninsula ?
Posted by: ralph
Date: March 25, 2017 10:16AM
I've read of silver nuggets(caused by forest fires) and float copper(sometimes very large) has been found in the UP,don't recall about gold.

mxt with 3x9 hotfoot,ace250,atpro

Re: anyone prospect for gold in Michigan's upper peninsula ?
Posted by: tvanwho
Date: April 17, 2017 10:57PM
I went to an old gold mine up in far northern Michigan many years ago that an old guy knew about.
There was a cable going up a fenced off dirt road next to a new subdivision, and the mine workings were still there but flooded.
I only saw one chunk of white quartz on the waste pile.Most of the pile was a dark greenish/brown rock,have no idea
what it was? It looked like they were using some sort of floatation refining process? A series
of large flat tables, like a stair case down a hillside. I think it dated to 1900 era. That was over 40 years ago now.

-Tom,ps, I just found some crude directions to this mine going thru old prospecting notes, but no town name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login