Findmall.com

The "Prospecting" Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Tesoro Diablo umax
Posted by: stan in colo
Date: July 26, 2017 12:16PM
Anyone know what this detector is worth. Good condition.?

Re: Tesoro Diablo umax
Posted by: lytle78
Date: July 26, 2017 12:24PM
$500 to some enthusiasts. Very hard to find and not often for sale. I had two - sold them both for more than $400 each.

Rick Kempf

Date: July 26, 2017 12:25PM
Recently?

Date: July 26, 2017 12:27PM
What's your opinion of this detector

Posted by: lytle78
Date: July 28, 2017 03:54PM
Nice light VLF gold nugget hunter. Nowadays you can get comparable performance plus iron ID from several manufacturers. It's a cult machine, hence the price. I sold both of mine and got a Gold Bug 2 - don't regret it.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: July 28, 2017 06:05PM
Call me biased if you like (I designed it), but here's my summary.
Light weight easy to use VLF gold machine, about 18 kHz. Manual ground balancing, if you don't have that skill it's not for you. Basic ability to detect a buried gold nugget comparable to the best 15-20 kHz gold machines nowadays. In light mineralization, it doesn't hit very loud so you'll need to use headphones. It excels (compared to most other VLF's) in noisy ground. No "discrimination", but has a second ground balance knob you can access with a flip of a switch to calm down a suspected hot rock, a feature which is to my knowledge unique to the Diablo MicroMax. The GB2 running at 71 kHz will knock its socks off on the smaller nuggets, but costs more. From the perspective of history and platform evolution, it was the analog circuit proving ground for the Lobo Supertraq.

Every design engineer has certain products they're proud of, and ones they're not so proud of. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the popularity or market success of the product. It's no secret that I regard the Diablo MicroMax as one of my all-time best designs. Still have one a gift from Jim Straight) and won't part with it.

All that is why 20 years later it has a cult following. Why did Jack take it out of production so soon after its release? I could speculate on that, but bottom line is that I don't know. And Jack's no longer around to answer the question himself.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: August 05, 2017 08:23PM
Dave-----Same question---why did they take the great Bandito 2 micromax out of production & replace it with the Eldorado!---Mistake IMO.----Rusty Henry himself don't know why they ever did that.
Dave J.
Call me biased if you like (I designed it), but here's my summary.
Light weight easy to use VLF gold machine, about 18 kHz. Manual ground balancing, if you don't have that skill it's not for you. Basic ability to detect a buried gold nugget comparable to the best 15-20 kHz gold machines nowadays. In light mineralization, it doesn't hit very loud so you'll need to use headphones. It excels (compared to most other VLF's) in noisy ground. No "discrimination", but has a second ground balance knob you can access with a flip of a switch to calm down a suspected hot rock, a feature which is to my knowledge unique to the Diablo MicroMax. The GB2 running at 71 kHz will knock its socks off on the smaller nuggets, but costs more. From the perspective of history and platform evolution, it was the analog circuit proving ground for the Lobo Supertraq.

Every design engineer has certain products they're proud of, and ones they're not so proud of. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the popularity or market success of the product. It's no secret that I regard the Diablo MicroMax as one of my all-time best designs. Still have one a gift from Jim Straight) and won't part with it.

All that is why 20 years later it has a cult following. Why did Jack take it out of production so soon after its release? I could speculate on that, but bottom line is that I don't know. And Jack's no longer around to answer the question himself.

Posted by: Dave J.
Date: August 06, 2017 09:09PM
D&P-OR
Dave-----Same question---why did they take the great Bandito 2 micromax out of production & replace it with the Eldorado!---Mistake IMO.----Rusty Henry himself don't know why they ever did that
Sorry, D&P, that's something I don't know anything about. I did gold machines for Jack for 2 years and some other stuff that never saw the light of day. Wasn't involved with the traditional Jack products and for the most part don't even know what they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login