Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
DFX UNSTABLE QUESTION
Posted by: cintitomcat
Date: February 21, 2010 11:35AM
Just bought a used less than 2 years old dfx. Used very little, looks brand new. Cincinnati area to much snow to go outside. Air testing in my basement where i have air tested an xlt i used to have. On preset coin program it's not bad but on silver preset and hotter programs very unstable. I had a problem with my xlt when the coil went bad and was very unstable. Could the coil be bad. Also if i hold detector in air and swing like detecting it really goes crazy. Should i send to whites to check out before warranty ends? This is the same area in my basement where i used to check my xlt with no prblems. Thank's Tom

Re: DFX UNSTABLE QUESTION
Posted by: teedub
Date: February 21, 2010 11:45AM
Tom, Sounds like EMI to me. When you switched to the silver program, i believe the machine is running in 3khz
which is more sensitive to EMI. The hotter the program, the more interference you'll encounter. Try running 15 khz only
and turn down the gain, and AC and see if it quiets down some.. Tim

Posted by: dave5710
Date: February 21, 2010 11:53AM
I would air test outside before sending anything it for repair. There are just to many possible things to interfere with it inside. Do you have a garage? If so you could set it up on some empty cardboard boxes or plastic milk crates and play with it. At least there the ceiling would be higher. Or better yet, bundle up and seek out a south facing slope that has started to melt off. You don't have to dig to get familiar with your new machine. It is mostly likely the hotter programs that are making the difference.

Dave
Central Illinois
T-2 & Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Keep pluggin' away"

Posted by: yazoo
Date: February 21, 2010 01:35PM
I would agree with the others.Along with if the coil works good in best data or correlate Then there should be no problem with it.I would figure if the coil was bad it would also go into overload if bad . Outside will be the best place to find your answers. The XLT is not nearly as sensitive to EMI as The DFX. I have had both and now use a V3 with my XLT as back up. Good Luck. Yazoo

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: February 21, 2010 03:49PM
For indoor testing, especially without a ground balance, you might have to use Correlate mode to minimize EMI and even then, your Gain will have to be lowered from what you would use outdoors.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: cintitomcat
Date: February 24, 2010 05:45PM
Snow starting to melt a little. Small spot of grass in yard. Took detector out seemed to be more stable. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to try with some hotter programs. Thank's for the input. I'll let you know what happens.Tom

Posted by: Southwind
Date: February 25, 2010 06:49AM
Just a suggestion but if you're new to the DFX I would suggest you stick with the Coin or Coin & Jewelry program for a little while until you get more familiar with the DFX. Then when you crank it up to the higher performance level it will be easier to contend with any instability which is often a part of such programs.

Detectors used: XP Deus, E-Trac, AT Pro, DFX, ADS 4
Past years: CTX 3030, V3i, Explorer SE Pro, F75 LTD, MXT, X-Terra 70, XLT, Eagle Spectrum, Sovereign GT, Omega 8000, Silver uMax, Compadre 5.7 & 8", ADS 7, Freedom 1, 2 & 3, Mayan, Inca, Coinmaster
The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: kd8hf
Date: February 26, 2010 01:48AM
I believe the DFX has a demo mode which the dealers use to demonstrate the machine while inside buildings. Usually demo modes have reduced settings to minimize interference and you might want to try that first.

Date: February 26, 2010 06:09AM
I think as close to a demo mode there is on the DFX is the coin program,Other than that I know of none. Yazoo

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: February 26, 2010 07:43AM
New or unaltered menus on the DFX come with the DEMO mode, but that is usually the first program that written over with a custom program. For indoor testing, try a GAIN of 1.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Date: February 26, 2010 04:03PM
You are right Larry ,Has been a long time since I had my new DFX. My Bad. Yazoo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login