Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Is Tone ID Necessary?
jdinokc
Date: February 16, 2005 10:27PM
I have had my DFX a few months now. Is the tone id really that important? I tried it awaile but didn't like all the noise. Am I missing anything by not using the tone id?
tks
Jim

Re: Is Tone ID Necessary?
Joe
Date: February 17, 2005 05:18AM
You're not missing anything. It's a personal preference thing. It just helps ID targets a little better. You can perfect finding certain things when and if you do use it, but it's just a sound inhancement thing... and not necessary at all.

Re: Is DFX Tone ID Necessary?
Jeff Foster
Date: February 17, 2005 09:56AM
Necessary? No, it's a tradeoff. If you use it, you don't need to rely on the SignaGraph

SteveG
Date: February 17, 2005 02:02PM
I do a lot of Civil War relic hunting, so a lot of ground is covered looking for camps, etc. The tone ID allows me to move more quickly to productive areas because the tone ID (based on the settings that I choose to give it) gives me a high tone alert which slows my search to a crawl. Another thing to think about is that it can be very difficult trying to see the meter in certain sunlight conditions. Once you get used to the tone, I doubt that you'll want to be without it.

jdinokc
Date: February 17, 2005 04:48PM
Thanks for the info on tone id guys. The only time I tried it, I was also trying to learn the basics of the DFX. Now that I have some basic of the machine, I may give tone id another try.
Thanks
Jim in okc

YES
Dave Z
Date: February 17, 2005 06:18PM
Re: YES
Joe
Date: February 17, 2005 07:35PM
... only if you're looking for something in particular... like just coins. :-)

Anonymous User
Date: July 23, 2014 09:41AM
Use your tone ID to hunt with your ears. It allows you to move along better. Detecting is time consuming and most of us like to make best use of that time.

Posted by: Ks Coyote
Date: July 23, 2014 04:04PM
Personally wish Tone ID wasn't infinite. It would be more desirable if it was a 4 or 5 tone. Just too much for me. Some really like it though.

Whites DFX and Eagle Spectrum. Fisher F4.
USAF Retired

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 04:05PM by Ks Coyote.

Posted by: reddirtfisher
Date: September 11, 2014 05:03PM
:cool:.........yes...yes.............yes

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: September 11, 2014 08:27PM
Wow, this is an OLD thread......:biggrin:

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: dgerst
Date: April 21, 2017 03:31PM
Ks Coyote
Personally wish Tone ID wasn't infinite. It would be more desirable if it was a 4 or 5 tone. Just too much for me. Some really like it though.

I'll revive this thread. I completely agree about the number of tones. It would be nice to adjust the number of tones and the breakpoints between them. I can't imagine this not being something that could be fixed with a firmware update. Considering that it's still on 1.0 maybe Whites should consider?

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: April 21, 2017 04:35PM
No, digerst, Tone I D is not necessary but it sure is helpful! With practice you can hunt in the dark and know what the target is by sound.

The DFX has been discontinued by White's. If you want a good detector with the option of modifying the tones, consider the White's V3i.The audio can be customized to your liking! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: sasquache
Date: April 25, 2017 04:56AM
Tone ID is vary useful for me

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: May 25, 2017 04:33PM
I rarely use the Tone ID. I am better without it, but then I hunt slowly since there is a lot of trash here. If I had a larger coil such as a Bigfoot coil, and I wanted to cover ground quickly, I think I would use the Tone ID since it would speed up my searching.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login