Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I just sent Larry this DFX question. Any & all input is appreciated.
Posted by: kkekckbk
Date: October 23, 2011 06:03PM
DFX 300 help...

Hello Larry,

My name is Bill. I am kind of a newbie to the hobby and I love it. I bought myself a DFX 300 as my first detector hoping to grow into it rather than outgrowing one and having to buy a new one.

I read your post from 2008 about your DFX missing targets near iron that theExplorer didn't miss.

I am having a very similar problem. I am hunting a pre 1868 village with LOTS of old rusty iron nails and other rusty metal objects. There are tons of coins here. I have found 4 LC's and one Spanish silver reale myself. I met a guy with an Explorer II that has pulled about 700 coins from this location over the past 10 years. We both know there are tons more coins on this 300+ acres but I am having trouble just like you explained in your post with the iron signal blocking out the coins.

First thing is should I go out and get a new coil instead of the 12 inch one that comes stock on the DFX? I was reading about the Eclipse 4x6 or 8x14 and how they work better.

Second thing is how can I get my DFX to perform more like the Explorer that the other guy has. I see him finding much more coins here that I am and I am convinced that is is partially me (as a rookie) and my DFX settings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 06:25PM by kkekckbk.

Re: I just sent Larry this DFX question. Any & all input is appreciated.
Posted by: arclyt
Date: October 25, 2011 12:18PM
New coil for sure--eclipse 5.3 or the 4x6 good for trashy areas--the coil you are using is for for covering alot of ground in less trashy areas. I use my 12 coil at the beach and in the water. Also play with the settings a bit to dial it in.--But the coil you are using is your biggest error for that type of ground.

Posted by: matthias
Date: October 25, 2011 03:36PM
Here is my humble opinion...get an Eclipse 6x10 DD. The Eclipse 5.3 is also great. I have both of these coils. I use the 6x10DD the majority of the time out. The 5.3 really does best in REALLY trashy spots. I bought the DFX 300 also and found that the big coil is too much for most of where hunt. I hope this helps you. HH. Matt

Date: October 25, 2011 03:54PM
I am about to order one of them. Either the Eclipse 4x6, 6x10, or the 5.3....

All the reading I have been doing points to the 4x6 or the 6x10 as edging out the 5.3....

Will the 6x10 be too big for a very trashy area too, or does that not matter with a DD coil? In which case I would go with the 4x6.... Feedback????

I have to order it by 3 pm Eastern time tomorrow (10/26) to get it shipped in time so I can have it by this Friday......

Posted by: arclyt
Date: October 25, 2011 10:34PM
I used my 4x6 last week in a park that was full of pull tabs and caps using Larrys program which was probably alittle to much for those conditions so i put the 4x6 on and took the 9.5 off--it did make a big difference and it was the first time i have used that coil since i got it last August. Maybe go with the High Trash program and go with either the 4x6 or the 6x10--the 6x10 seems to be a popular choice for MD'S. It is wise to go with a program on the unit and get used to it and the sounds and VDI's. HH

Date: October 26, 2011 11:12AM
I ordered the Eclipse 4x6. Should be here on Friday. I really hope this helps...

Thanks for all the advice!!

Bill

Posted by: matthias
Date: October 27, 2011 05:32PM
Nice!

Posted by: BHNugget
Date: October 27, 2011 08:07PM
What program and settings are you using,Bill?

Western SD
E-Trac,X-1
Sovereign GT,S-1
Ace 250

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: October 27, 2011 08:25PM
Although the DFX can not be made to operate like an Explorer, you can get a smaller coil to help with target separation as others have suggested. Another coil choice that has not been mentioned is the 6x8 SEF sold by Kellyco. Which one works best for you in your ground, only you can deside. My favorite is the 5.3 conical and in very mineralized ground, the better choice might be the 6X8 SEF. I have used and liked both.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i, :whites: Pro XL :tesoro: Cibola/modified

Date: October 28, 2011 07:00AM
BHNugget

I have been using the "coin" or "coin & jewelry" only. I was going to try the eeprom hi trash program. Thoughts?

Bill

Date: October 28, 2011 07:30AM
Larry (IL)
Although the DFX can not be made to operate like an Explorer, you can get a smaller coil to help with target separation as others have suggested. Another coil choice that has not been mentioned is the 6x8 SEF sold by Kellyco. Which one works best for you in your ground, only you can deside. My favorite is the 5.3 conical and in very mineralized ground, the better choice might be the 6X8 SEF. I have used and liked both.

I already ordered the Eclipse 4x6, it should be here today. If I have to, I will eventually order another.

Posted by: BHNugget
Date: October 29, 2011 09:33AM
kkekckbk
BHNugget

I have been using the "coin" or "coin & jewelry" only. I was going to try the eeprom hi trash program. Thoughts?

Bill

Overwrite one of the EEPROM programs and name it "your correlate" program then save it.The correlate mode will help when hunting in iron,not by discriminating it out,but by rejecting it because the 3 and 15 frequencies dont match the iron VDI for the most part.This way you wont get the long threshold null (blank out) when your coil is passing over iron and a good signal is more likely to be picked up.Ive been having good performance with the D2 at a couple high iron sites I hunt with this program. When you get your 4x6 just remember to slow your physical coil swing way down,it wont be seeing near the amount of ground your 12" was seeing at one time.

Western SD
E-Trac,X-1
Sovereign GT,S-1
Ace 250

Posted by: dktucson
Date: December 21, 2011 09:53AM
I have a question regarding the DFX and the 300, are they similiar in menues, or what are some of the differences? Any answers will be appreciated thank yo

Posted by: teedub
Date: December 21, 2011 12:10PM
You should have opted for 6x10 or 6x8 sef coils. When you get out on 300 acres with
the 4x6, you're going to say '' oh why did I buy this tiny thing''? Plus, if the coins are that old,
They're bound to be fairly deep. All the separation in the world won't help you to locate
deep targets with a 4x6 coil.. JMHO...

Posted by: tsmith
Date: December 21, 2011 12:52PM
I pulled several clad coins yesterday with a 4 X 6 running Larry's program over 6" deep all less then 10". found my first silver , a 1954 dime at 7" to 8". I really like the 4 X 6 but I just ordered a 5.3 to play with also and thinking about ordering a big dawg coil to cover alot of ground faster.

bill if you try Larry's program with a 4 x 6 you might have to drop the preamp from 4 to 3 to get it to balance.

just my two cents

terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login