Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
SEF coils on the DFX
Posted by: jwebs
Date: October 03, 2012 03:05PM
I'm thinking about buying an SEF coil for my DFX. I've got an ad up to trade some silver for a 10x12, but I'm curious about the performance overall, compared to the D2. Mainly, I'm hunting in relatively trashy sites, sometimes really trashy sites(mainly old house demolition trash), and my ground is on the extreme ferrous mineralization end(-90 to -94, with the rare high -80s), and moderate strength of mineralization. I get decent depth and separation on the D2, as far as I can tell. Is it worth it to get a 10x12 SEF, or is the D2 good enough, comparatively. i'm mainly a coinshooter, and occasionally I'll go looking for jewelry in a local cultural park.

Re: SEF coils on the DFX
Posted by: matthias
Date: October 07, 2012 09:13AM
Hey there. I have the 6x8 SEF for my DFX and have the 13" Ultimate which is also made by Detech. I feel they both get great depth and separation but like many after-market coils they are not calibrated to give you a true depth indication on your screen. I hope this helps. HH. Matt

Posted by: Mega B
Date: October 07, 2012 09:38AM
matthias
Hey there. I have the 6x8 SEF for my DFX and have the 13" Ultimate which is also made by Detech. I feel they both get great depth and separation but like many after-market coils they are not calibrated to give you a true depth indication on your screen. I hope this helps. HH. Matt

You are correct about the calibration of the coils but that also applies to all the Whites own coils as well,the only one that is calibrated to the dfx is the stock coil that comes with the detector and they did offer 3 option 9.5inch 10inch and the 12inch coil so even if you bought the detector with the 12inch coil on and then bought the 9.5inch stock coil that would be out of calibration but of course you can send it back to Whites for them to alter it but is it worth it not really as you do get use to say adding or deleting say 1inch to the depth indicator.Hope that make sense :)

Regarding the SEF coils in my opinion they are well worth adding to the DFX especially the 12x10 the bigger 15x12 does give extra depth yes but the down side is the weight very much like the 1400DD coil which is a good coil but not many people use it due to the massive weight of it.

But saying that i also have the ultimate coil from Detech which is the 18inch coil for hoard hunting but it is that heavy i can only use it with a harness the best combination that i have found is using the GPX5000 harness with the Docs swingy thingy bottom bit and that does work very well and i could swing it all day long even with the DX-1 probe attached to it.

T2 with 5'', NEL SharpShooter 10x12SEF and 15x12 SEF coils,DFX c/w Hotshot & SEF8x6,1400DD,18''Detech,Arado 120bx2,SilverSabre2,CrossBow PI c/w 5'',8'',10'',14x10'',18x12 Mono coil for hoard hunting plus others,TDK700 cordless headphones.

Metal detecting is like a box of chocolates....

Posted by: foiledagain
Date: October 08, 2012 10:18PM
I use the excellerator 6 inch eq2 on my dfx, and I get great depth, plus if the trash is heavy the small coil picks out the good stuff easily...and I can crank up my DFX super hot. Made by the same company. I never realized what I was missing until I got a 6 inch coil. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: gldfver
Date: October 14, 2012 09:38PM
I also use the 6" Excellerator EQ2 dd coil... Great depth and seperation in trashy areas.:detecting:

Date: October 14, 2012 09:51PM
I got the 8x6 SEF from kellyco on friday. It should be here by wednesday. I'll take it out for a spin, and update the thread with any differences noted, and finds if anything good.

Date: October 17, 2012 02:11PM
I got the coil in yesterday, and i'm already pretty impressed with the results. Separation noticeably better than on the D2. I'm aware that it's because it's a smaller coil, but it's noteworthy. for example, when I found my first IH cent this past Saturday on a curb strip about 20ft long, I went over it twice with the D2, and I pulled the IH, and about 5 wheats from this ~20ft strip. When I got the 8x6 in, I went to the same curb strip and pulled a button about 1/2" in diameter as my first signal, a 5 gram silver earring with 18k gold beads inlaid as my next target, and two more wheaties. I may be missing out on some deeper targets(I buried a copper penny at about 8" in a plug that I dug last time, and it only picked up a slight chirp, and only when I swept really fast over the hole, but I'm going to go back to that strip soon and tweak some of the settings to see if I can grab some deeper dirt.
The only thing that I'm being thrown off by is that the DC pahse numbers sometimes don't match up with the AC signal VDI...Sometimes the DC phase # is less than the AC #(for instance, on that copper penny that was deep, the VDI was a (-) number close to 0), which I've not seen before on the D2, or the 950 coils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 02:13PM by jwebs.

Posted by: gldfver
Date: October 25, 2012 12:55AM
IYHO is there a weight difference?
I really like my D2 and it allows me to hunt longer due how light it is.
i'am an ole fart and the weight was my concern.
:unsure:

Date: October 29, 2012 03:35PM
If you think that the D2 is light, the 8x6 SEF coil will feel like a feather. I don't know the exact weight difference, but the SEF coil is much lighter. While it's not as deep always as the D2, the separation and weight difference makes it well worth the couple inches depth loss.

Posted by: Sal/ohio
Date: January 09, 2013 12:23PM
What size is the d2 is it round,i am thinking of trying a sef 6x8 on my dfx.

Date: January 09, 2013 11:00PM
The D2 is a 10" round DD coil. The 8x6 is the elliptically shaped butterfly. For me, the D2 is great for ground coverage and low to moderate trash, but the 8x6 sings in a trashy area. I pulled my first silver with my new V3i in a lot that I've hunted plenty of times before that is loaded down with debris from the house demo, and I had the 8x6 on when I hit it--after I checked the hole again when I dug it, I found a rusty nail in the sidewall about 2" to the side and 2 or 3" above where the dime was. Finding that nail let me know why there was just a little bit of sputter in the otherwise beautiful signal that the dime gave from ~6"down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login