Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Deep Coins with DFX-What I Have Learned
Posted by: RLOH
Date: July 30, 2013 02:19PM
I have owned three DFX's over the years(one was Southwind's) and ever since they came out, the Explorer-DFX debate has raged. I have found several major differences between these two detectors. After spending one complete detecting season with my first DFX, I came to the conclusion that the DFX was not as deep on copper and silver coins. That first season was with the stock 9.5 concentric coil. When I bought the second DFX from Southwind, I ordered an Excelerator 10 inch dd coil from Kellyco. Wow, what a difference between the stock coil. I do hunt in above average mineralized soil, but with this coil, I was digging silver and copper coins at the 8 to 9 inch Explorer depths. But, I have found the tone ID on a DFX to make the deep coins very muffled and not very clear or clean. Any Explorer will be much easier to distinguish the "flutey" sound of a deep silver coin than the DFX's somewhat fuzzy signal of a comparable deep coin. I have found the DFX when adjusted correctly will hear the 8 to 9 inch deep coins, but they are definitely not a clean, concise signal. I remember reading an article called "advanced tuning for the xlt and dfx and the author wished for a better DFX tone id system. The Whites tone ID works perfectly on 4 to 5 inch deep coins, but on the deepies, it stinks. I have come to recognize what a deep coin sounds like with a DFX, but until you start digging deep, iffy type signals, the DFX will be relegated to a 6 inch deep detector. I equipped my third DFX with a 10x12 SEF coil and it works great. One thing for certain, this fine coil does not improve the audio quality of a deep coin. It does cover more ground, improves the depth, and seperates very well, but the muffled audio of the deep coins is still present. By the way, I run a modified version of the "high pro" mode and I accept -10 to +95. I also accept -95. I dig very little deep iron and I routinely find deep(8 inches or so) coins mixed in with trash. The moral of my post is don't expect a deep coin to be as clear as it is with an Explorer or CZ. It will not happen with a DFX, but don't think for one minute that the DFX is not capable of finding the deep coins.

Re: Deep Coins with DFX-What I Have Learned
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: July 30, 2013 02:52PM
That was exactly my experience RL, even the coil choices were the same as I used. The EX10 DD was my favorite until the 12X10 came out and I still use the same 12X10 on the V3i. Hunting with the DFX is when I learned to dig all deep targets by tone no matter what the screen said.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Posted by: ohmygato
Date: July 30, 2013 03:41PM
I guess a 10X12 SEF coil and a little extra work is less expensive than a new Minelab machine, so maybe I'll get one of those. :thumbup:

Posted by: sasquache
Date: March 15, 2017 04:49AM
This is great advice! Thank you

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: May 25, 2017 04:38PM
I dig all deep good or semi-good sounding targets. The signagraph works great on shallower targets but not on deeper targets, but the DFX will make a good sound usually. My only problems is old nails which sound good. I have a test garden with all coins at 8 inches or deeper, and I use setting that pick up all the coins, dimes, pennies, nickels, and quarters. Newer pennies are the worst since they read as iron or junk and jump all over the signagraph, but it makes a good sound, so I know to dig.

Posted by: Mega
Date: May 27, 2017 01:42AM
I am aware that this is a very old thread,but basically audio on any machine has always been far more reliable than what any screen based machine offers,a screen can provide some very good information especially on shallow items like parks etc but when you get to about 8'' then screens can and will start becoming very unreliable and in my opinion should never be used solely too make that all important dig/no dig decision.

Of course even the audio gets un-reliable as well and then all you are left with finally is the threshold hum,the DFX never really was a depth monster as such,although it did prefer certain coils over other and the SEF range did work exceptionally well,my favourite coil for giving not only depth but also giving very good discrimination was the all time legendary 12'' Hotshot coil which is still one of my all time favourite coils,i still have mine mounted on the DFX and a brand new Hotshot coil as a backup,but saying that although its one of my all time favourite detector/coil combinations that crown finally went to the much lighter Deus.

The Signagraph was one of the main reason and also the dual freq side of the machine that made me part with my money,one thing that i have never really found out why is this detector loves finding gold items like coins etc.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: May 27, 2017 12:20PM
Yes, an old thread, brought back to life by Sasquache. Glad to hear from you, Mega, I was beginning to think this forum was dead. You are correct, the audio is the most important and determining factor, as to the ID of a target and whether to dig or not. I learned this myself long ago. I will never part with my DFX's since they are so versatile and useful.

Date: May 27, 2017 01:06PM
Kentuck11
Yes, an old thread, brought back to life by Sasquache. Glad to hear from you, Mega, I was beginning to think this forum was dead. You are correct, the audio is the most important and determining factor, as to the ID of a target and whether to dig or not. I learned this myself long ago. I will never part with my DFX's since they are so versatile and useful.

Have had my DFX basically since they 1st came out in the battery box its dated 2002 and possibly was certainly the 1st small batch into the UK,as you have mention i also wont part with mine as mine was my main main for about 12 years,but a couple of other brands and models have taken the top slot over from the DFX,mine has had 1000s and 1000s of happy hours been used and although not the deepest machine it was very productive with gold items,for 98% of the time due too our mild ground conditions i mainly ran it in 15khz if i am honest prehaps going down the MXT route would have been better for our detecting,but thats water longer gone under the bridge as they.

Its still nice to take the old gal out for a spin and blow the old cobwebs off it,the original rechargeable battery back packed up some year back but bought a RNB battery for it and it last many times longer and also lighter weight wise,also the added bonus is that i can also use the RNB battery in my IDX Pro which as yet i have never recharged it since its been the IDX from last year.

Alas this is my personal opinion Whites have slightly lost the way in detector design in recent years with the problems of the MXS and MX5 reliability wise,the Vision is although a good machine on paper i feel because it so complex even more so that the DFX this has been its downfall and not been as popular as it could have been.

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: May 27, 2017 11:09PM
Yes, I too bought my first DFX when they first came out. I bought mine in 2002. I had my mind made up on another detector, then I heard about the DFX, and after some thought, I decided to dish out the extra bucks and get one, and I'm so glad I did. Like you said, countless hours of fun searching and digging. I've contemplated getting a V3i but I have my cautions. I still like the DFX and use mine as often as I can. Once you learn to use it, which took me years and I probably still don't know it completely, it gets as deep as most other detectors although many will argue this, but if you know how to set it up for your area, and what to listen for, it is a deep detector, and certainly deep enough for me. I don't like digging down a foot in hard ground to recover clad or worse, and square nail. I have to agree with your last statement. Seems the competition is tough in the detector world, and Whites could make their top of the line detectors a bit more user friendly

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: May 28, 2017 02:00AM
I'm with you Kentuck11 and also with Mega, I got my first DFX when they first came out and I also got the vision when it first came out. I made some of my best finds with the DFX: 3 Cent nickles, Liberty Seated coins, Barbers and Indian head cents and relics including an Officer's Sword Belt Plate (1851-1874) at a measured 14" using the stock 9.5 coil. The DFX is a very good detector and I don't intend to part with it. I still take it out every month or 2 for a change and to keep the circuits working hahahah. I also enjoy my V3i and have made some very good finds with it. I've found that the V3i is only as complicated as the user wishes it to be. As with the DFX, performance wise, the important adjustments are the sensitivities, Filters, Recovery and discrimination settings. Everything else is to your preference but not necessarily affecting depth.I really like the fact that the tone ID can be adjusted to preference - I can accept all VDI's from --95 to +95 and ascribe ANY tone to individual VDI's. In effect running in all-metal but only hearing the VDI's that I want to and hearing them with whatever tone I wish. I also like the Live Search Screen where I can place ANY adjustment(s) that I choose at the bottom of the screen for easy, fast access. One thing that I loved about the DFX and hate about the V3i is that the DFX manual is easy to understand and helpful (I must have read it 25 or more times) whereas the V3i manual, in my opinion, is confusing and not very helpful. It was probably written by someone who does not detect. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: May 28, 2017 11:36AM
I don't have any plans for buying a new detector any time soon, but I have thought seriously about the V3i, but I am satisfied now using my DFX's. My oldest finds are an 1875 Mexican 5 cent piece and an 1834 dime, minted before Texas was even a state, and before the battle of the Alamo and Goliad. I never have read books about using the DFX, only the manual, and I have become pretty good at it. Trial and error was part of the fun of learning to use the DFX. I have seen some other's DFX programs and mine is very close to many of theirs. I just have never used Mixed Mode or All metal mode since I hunt in heavy trash/iron areas here. I want to go back to the beach and do some detecting there, but I am not sure what settings to use there. Before when I went to the beach, I used the factory beach program with adjustments to the PAG, AC, DC, BCR, and ground filters. I did OK, but didn't spend enough time there to find anything good.
Happy Memorial Day Everyone, and for those not in America, Happy Hunting!

Date: May 28, 2017 12:06PM
Some my oldest coins found with my DFX over the years have been Celtic full gold staters from 55BC these are Whaddam Chase variation and found all in the same field in a tight 70ft radius almost certain a container of some sort but we never did find it,we think that it was possibly in a leather pouch or something like that and rotted away and then over time man with large tractors and ploughs have dragged them up.A couple of us have used Pulse machine and although we have found a reasonable amount no more in the last few years so we feel that we have possibly found them all.

TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3

Date: May 28, 2017 12:59PM
That's great, Mega! I will never find anything that old in this area. If you are like me, you will still go back and look one more time maybe after the field gets ploughed again.
I have two old homesites to go back to. One is still standing but has been vacant since the 1940's or early 50's. The other is the site where my great grandparents lived back in the 1800's. Still have to search the site where there was an old store/saloon/train depot back in late 1800's. Too dry and hot now.

Date: May 28, 2017 02:57PM
Kentuck11
That's great, Mega! I will never find anything that old in this area. If you are like me, you will still go back and look one more time maybe after the field gets ploughed again.
I have two old homesites to go back to. One is still standing but has been vacant since the 1940's or early 50's. The other is the site where my great grandparents lived back in the 1800's. Still have to search the site where there was an old store/saloon/train depot back in late 1800's. Too dry and hot now.

Rest assure as soon as the deep ploughing has been done after the harvest i will be back on site again,lucky that the farmer/landowner uses massive tracked Cat tractors that drag bigger than normal ploughs,so if anything else is in that location is should have a good chance of being dragged upto the top.A few fields away and also owned by the same landowner a small hoard of roman silver dinari have also been found,so once again the same will also be done in that location as well.

TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3

Date: May 30, 2017 12:25PM
That's nice to have such areas to hunt in and knowing of what can possibly lie just under your feet. I went out yesterday, and searched an old wagon trail again after we finally got a little rain to settle the dust here. The old nails were ringing up as good targets I and could not seem to discriminate them out. A day or so after the ground 'dries' a bit, I think I will have better hunting. I found a dime and one penny, but nothing old, other than saddle parts and buckboard parts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login