Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
My program for smooth running
Posted by: Squirmingcoil77
Date: August 29, 2013 08:11AM
I'm a newbie to the DFX and definitely don't have the knowledge or the most experience with the machine, but after finally modifying some settings I found that running the DFX as follows gives me a nice smooth running machine with decent depth.

JJsmooth program

Coil used: Eclipse 6X10DD
Location: Park hunting and ball fields / Northern Virginia soil

The key adjustments are as follows:

Audio Disc. = on
Silent Search = off
Mixed Mode = on
AC = 70
DC = 50
Preamp gain = 2

Ratchet PP = off
SAT speed = 6 - any higher and it's too noisy. Any lower and it's just too slow to recover
Tone ID = on
VCO = on
Modulation = off
Autotrac = on
Trac speed = 12
offset = +1
Trac inhibit = on

reject -95 to -31
accept -31 to +94
reject +95

Learn accept/reject = off
recovery speed = 30 - Any lower I felt that the signal was not as clear and crisp.
Bottle cap reject = 10 - Signal breaks up on shallower bottle caps while still giving a great signal for deeper coins.
Hot Rock reject = 10 - smooths out the signal even more

sweep speed = 5 - with Mixed mode on your sweep speed can vary, but this setting is perfect for a nice moderate speed.
ground filter =4

visual disc. = on
icons = off
VDI sensitivity = 80
DC phase = on
Graph average/accumulate = on
Fade rate = 8 - personal preference

Correlate mode - loses depth but perfect for parks. Gives great stability and runs smoother than best data

or

15kHz - gains depth and I found this runs a lot smoother than the 3 kHz.

These settings work for me, the novice user. I don't like "hot" programs and prefer the DFX to run nice and smooth and stable. With mixed mode on, this program should give you greater success in and around your parks and fields.

Re: My program for smooth running
Date: August 29, 2013 04:27PM
Any feedback or advice on tweaking it more would be much appreciated.

Posted by: kd8hf
Date: November 21, 2013 08:57AM
You might play with the Preamp Gain and try a setting of 3 or 4 to observe the stability of the machine. I also dropped my Sweep Speed down to 1 from time to time. Never hurts to play with the settings to improve operation. Also, Jeff Foster's book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" contains a wealth of information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 09:01AM by kd8hf.

Date: November 23, 2013 12:23AM
kd8hf
You might play with the Preamp Gain and try a setting of 3 or 4 to observe the stability of the machine. I also dropped my Sweep Speed down to 1 from time to time. Never hurts to play with the settings to improve operation. Also, Jeff Foster's book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" contains a wealth of information.

I created this program the night I finally figured the DFX out. I couldn't get used to the machine at first and almost sold it, but one night it all clicked and this is what I came up with to quiet it down in my house during air tests. It's based on the preset relic mode and is what I use when relic hunting. I've tweaked it a bit since I created it. I've dropped the recovery speed down to 25 and the BC reject to 5. I always pump the PAG up to 4 if I can but leave it at 3 if it becomes unstable. These settings are used with the 6x10DD Eclipse. I have "Digging Deeper" and I find it very helpful. HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 12:24AM by Squirmingcoil77.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login