Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
A FIRST for me...
Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 18, 2015 07:26PM
Howdy--

I braved the 100+ heat and went out in search of some unhunted ground. I've detected this city for 30 years and most of my old "hot spots" now have homes or office buildings on them. I found a lot that was VERY much overgrown with waist high weeds but there were a few small clear spots. When I drove on to the lot I noticed a cistern, which is always a good sign. I dug a few wheat cents - the oldest a 1927. Then I got a good signal 68-72 @ 6" and dug my first "Good for 12 1/2 Cents In Trade" token. It's from Oscar's 705 Main St. Fort Worth Texas. It should be fun researching this find. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Re: A FIRST for me...
Date: July 20, 2015 11:13AM
Howdy--

I found out a few things about this token. It's a saloon token made between 1901 and 1905. The proprietors of the establishment were: Oscar M. Lenglet & John Conway.

I've been thinking of using electrolysis to remove some of the corrosion. Does anyone have experience with similarly corroded brass items? Thanks! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: murgatroyd
Date: March 31, 2016 08:47AM
awesome , love the tokens too.

Date: April 28, 2016 04:06PM
Howdy Murgatroyd,

Thank you! Those old tokens always make my day. If you have the chance, post some of your finds? This forum has been on the slow side. Maybe you can liven things up! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Fletch88
Date: May 31, 2016 12:12PM
Awesome find you got there! I am the new owner of a DFX. I found a deal I couldn't refuse!

Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5
CTX 3030
Silver uMax- 8" Donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado

Date: May 31, 2016 06:45PM
Thanks Fletch88. And congratulations on your recent DFX acquisition! The DFX is a FINE detector as you are about to find out. If you have any questions about setting it up to meet your hunting goals, don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: July 10, 2017 10:48PM
Blind Squirrel, did you ever clean your token? That is a very nice find and reminds me of the one I found. I was thinking of using an ultrasonic cleaner on mine and on some of the coins. I have used it before on modern clad with great results, and I usually put some felt at the bottom of the dish to prevent the coins from scraping the bottom. Just wondering what cleaning technique you used, if any. Thanks!

Date: July 11, 2017 02:51AM
Kentuck11, no I never cleaned that token any further than a rinse under the faucet. I entertained the idea of electrolysis but I've seen too many coins and relics that have been ruined by improper cleaning. I decided to leave it in its original dug condition. A few years ago there was a member who detected in Ohio and he dug some BEAUTIFUL Barber halves etc. He showed pics of the coins as they came out of the ground and then pics of them after "cleaning" them. He took coins that any collector would be happy to pay $200 - $300 for and reduced their value to $20 or $30 each. I'm cautious about cleaning any of my better finds - common coins, relics are a different story.

That Oscar's token made my day! Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll have to drive by that lot again and see if I can still swing a coil there. I only hunted that site 2 or 3 times and I know that I didn't hunt it thoroughly. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: July 11, 2017 10:54AM
Thanks Blind Squirrel. Maybe you might find another token there, who knows? It is definitely worth another search. I think I might leave my finds as they are, also. The ultrasonic cleaner works great but you have to watch it closely so if it starts to ruin or over-clean an object, you can quickly turn it off, but I think I will just wait as I don't want to ruin anything. Can't get it back once it's gone. Thank again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login