Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
AIR TEST DISTANCE
Posted by: SC Dirt Fisher
Date: September 04, 2015 07:00PM
I know air test data is just subjective but, that's the only thing I have to determine if my DFX is working properly without actually getting out in the field.
There's an air test on Utube by a "Dirtfisher" that gets 15 inches on a quarter. I can only get about 7-8" running as hot as I can I the relic mode.
Does anybody this this is an indication that something is wrong? Last year I was getting 10-11 inches with the same settings?

Re: AIR TEST DISTANCE
Posted by: airscapes
Date: September 04, 2015 08:17PM
Could be a failing coil.. 12" with it cranked in a non emi area with the 950 is about max I think I have ever gotten.

Doug White's DFX, 950,U13, 6x10 & 4x6 coils | CoinMaster GT, 4x6 Shooter Coil, NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer and DIY Wireless FM Transmitter and Etymotic Research ER-6i in-ear phones

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 05, 2015 03:35AM
I tried a search on Youtube and found nothing. I would question 15" on a quarter with the DFX unless using all metal, which I feel is useless in all but a very small number of locations, and or using a huge coil. If you're getting 10-11" you're doing fine. Most new detectors today are lucky to get 10-11".

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: Mega
Date: September 05, 2015 04:02AM
This is the trouble with airtesting they can give you false information,yes they will give you a rough indication but in both cases we are not really told what settings are used,so one may have hotter setting that someone else.The trouble is the ground conditions in one part of the country can vary by a big margin and also across the planet,this is why in theory VLF machines dont excel in the Aussie goldfields.

Unless you mention 'what' settings you actually use,folks may try and help with alternative setting to try and see if any increase can be gained or if anything is wrong with the detector,have you tried say using another coil of the same size etc,process of elimination is one of the 1st steps.

Its been years since i used the stock 9.5'' coil infact i doubt that mine has had more than 6 hours use,infact i personally think it was not the best choice as a stock coil although not as bad as the super 12'',i did use the 10x6 coil as my everyday coil and that really produced some very nice finds over the years including Bronze Age/Roman/Saxon but then i changed over to the SEF 8x6 coil as the everyday coil and for pasture or deeper work i shoot the 12'' Hotshot coil from the hip,this does give me far greater depth and also still keeping the sensitivity to small targets as well,plus the added bonus of being a ultra light weight coil that i can swing all day long.

Since the guy produced that video showing a coin at 15'' he sold it on a short time after,why any one would want to sell a machine that hits that depth is beyond me,prehaps he wanted the latest super duper 16'' + machine,i will just stick to using what works for me and the DFX suits me just fine and dandy.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: SC Dirt Fisher
Date: September 05, 2015 07:23PM
Southwind, if you do a Google search for "DFX air test" you should see it as one of the first couple of hits.

MegaB, I agree with you. If my DFX ever air tested at 14"-15" I would never sell it. What is puzzling to me is that I could not achieve anywhere near that distance. I doesn't matter to me what his settings were. I know how to set my machine to run "hot" and in doing so could not achieve anywhere near that distance. Running AM mode as hot as possible without falling should surely have achieved more than 7-8" I would think. Could the performance of identical detectors vary that greatly?

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 06, 2015 03:31AM
OK I found the video. First of all there was no 15". His 13-14" was questionable in my opinion. Just because it makes a noise does not make it a solid hit. Second, he is using a concentric which does have the single point hot spot. It will get deeper at the one single spot and that is why he kept having to move the swing around to find that small spot. That being said, you could never realistically expect that in the ground. As I said 10-11" at max under ideal conditions. I challenge anyone to show otherwise. I've used the DFX for 12 years now and owned a few different ones. For most conditions 8-9" is going to be the max you could expect in the ground.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: sasquache
Date: November 02, 2016 04:57AM
Would a bigger coil change this depth situation on the DFX ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login