Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Need Advice / Detecting In Wet Sand on Gulf Coast Beaches
Posted by: tommyboy1
Date: July 06, 2016 10:59AM
Yes, I wanted to see if I can get some help. I was planning to go to the Florida Panhandle in a couple of months. I have a BigFoot coil and the standard 9.5 " coil but will probably be using my BigFoot coil most of the time. I will also have headphones.

First of all, is the "beach program" the best one to use (maybe add Tone ID and adjust PreAmp Gain to "3") ?

Here is the main question though: I want to hunt for jewelry and know that the "wet sand" near the waves is probably the best place to find it. I remember metal detecting in the wet sand years ago and getting some erratic signals when I got close to the water. Will the VDI readings be about the same as they would if I were hunting in "dry sand". Maybe the best thing to do is just dig everything since I probably won't be getting a lot of signals.

You guys will have to bear with me as it has been a while since I have used my DFX at the beach and the DFX is a very sophisticated machine.

Any tips or suggestions that you all have would be truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tom Williams

Re: Need Advice / Detecting In Wet Sand on Gulf Coast Beaches
Posted by: leddel
Date: July 06, 2016 11:24AM
the dfx is a multi frequency machine and it will run very stable in the wet sand , yes the jewelry beach program will work find . you could further tweak the preamp up to 3 to give you more depth .

Date: July 06, 2016 01:35PM
Thank you for your reply. I had the same line of thinking.

Posted by: sonnar28
Date: August 02, 2016 11:17PM
Here are the settings I use for wet sands that does not give a good ground balance (such as white gulf sand or white Miami sand); make absolutely sure that autotrac is off, you may need to decrease the AC to increase stability. I have gotten a silver ring at an honest 11 inches in wet sand with this program. Your VDI's will be recognizable as this program has "vdi standardize on". See end of message for settings.

This is not a fast sweep setup, you may want to bury a nickle and work on getting the best sweep speed.

This time of year the full moon/new moon high tides will start eroding the extreme upper beach/towel line, the massive coverage of the bigfoot will let you cover this prime area quickly and thoroughly. If you find an eroding area in front of a high end hotel, you can have a lot of fun!

Also, you can dry sand search nicely especially after a rain or after wind erosion smooths the surface; try 1 freq 15 kz for max dry sand depth, especially at high traffic beach entrances or central footpaths.

Happy Hunting!

Charles

Here are the settings I''m using:
volume 53
threshold 30
tone 231
audio disc 0n
silent search off
mixed mode off
AC 76
DC 48
view angel 25
ratchet pinpoint on
SAT 10
tone ID on
VCO on
modulation off
auto trac off
track view off
auto trac speed 8
autotrac offset +1
trac inhib on
Course GEB 126
fine GEB 255
accept +95
reject +94
accept +93 to -80
reject -81 to -95
learn accept off
learn reject off
recovery speed 30
bottlecap reject 1
hot rock reject 3
sweep speed 1
ground filtering 3
visual disc off
icons on
VDI 95
dc phase on
graph averaging on
graph accumulate on
fade rate 5
preamp gain 3
2 freq best data off
2 freq coorelate on
VDI normalize on
1 freq 3 off
1 freq 15 off

Posted by: Wheat Cent
Date: August 02, 2016 11:26PM
sonnar28
Here are the settings I use for wet sands that does not give a good ground balance (such as white gulf sand or white Miami sand); make absolutely sure that autotrac is off, you may need to decrease the AC to increase stability. I have gotten a silver ring at an honest 11 inches in wet sand with this program. Your VDI's will be recognizable as this program has "vdi standardize on". See end of message for settings.

This is not a fast sweep setup, you may want to bury a nickle and work on getting the best sweep speed.

This time of year the full moon/new moon high tides will start eroding the extreme upper beach/towel line, the massive coverage of the bigfoot will let you cover this prime area quickly and thoroughly. If you find an eroding area in front of a high end hotel, you can have a lot of fun!

Also, you can dry sand search nicely especially after a rain or after wind erosion smooths the surface; try 1 freq 15 kz for max dry sand depth, especially at high traffic beach entrances or central footpaths.

Happy Hunting!

Charles

volume 53
threshold 30
tone 231
audio disc 0n
silent search off
mixed mode off
AC 76
DC 48
view angel 25
ratchet pinpoint on
SAT 10
tone ID on
VCO on
modulation off
auto trac off
track view off
auto trac speed 8
autotrac offset +1
trac inhib on
Course GEB 126
fine GEB 255
accept +95
reject +94
accept +93 to -80
reject -81 to -95
learn accept off
learn reject off
recovery speed 30
bottlecap reject 1
hot rock reject 3
sweep speed 1
ground filtering 3
visual disc off
icons on
VDI 95
dc phase on
graph averaging on
graph accumulate on
fade rate 5
preamp gain 3
2 freq best data off
2 freq coorelate on
VDI normalize on
1 freq 3 off
1 freq 15 off

15 kHz will not be Deeper than 3khz because the lower frequencies are more spread out waves when they go into the ground penetrating Deeper but 15 is rapid fire kind of like a machine gun so better sensitivity to gold but worse depth. I have tested this.

Date: August 03, 2016 09:14AM
Charles,

Thanks so much for your help ! I sincerely appreciate it. I just printed your message out and plan to take it with me down to Navarre Beach, Florida where I will be vacationing from 10-1 to 10-9. I will definitely use this program and if I remember I'll share my experience with you later.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Tom Williams

Date: August 03, 2016 01:33PM
Wheat Cent
sonnar28

Happy Hunting!

Charles

volume 53
threshold 30
tone 231
audio disc 0n
silent search off
mixed mode off
AC 76
DC 48
view angel 25
ratchet pinpoint on
SAT 10
tone ID on
VCO on
modulation off
auto trac off
track view off
auto trac speed 8
autotrac offset +1
trac inhib on
Course GEB 126
fine GEB 255
accept +95
reject +94
accept +93 to -80
reject -81 to -95
learn accept off
learn reject off
recovery speed 30
bottlecap reject 1
hot rock reject 3
sweep speed 1
ground filtering 3
visual disc off
icons on
VDI 95
dc phase on
graph averaging on
graph accumulate on
fade rate 5
preamp gain 3
2 freq best data off
2 freq coorelate on
VDI normalize on
1 freq 3 off
1 freq 15 off

15 kHz will not be Deeper than 3khz because the lower frequencies are more spread out waves when they go into the ground penetrating Deeper but 15 is rapid fire kind of like a machine gun so better sensitivity to gold but worse depth. I have tested this.

Remember Tom is hunting specifically for jewelry, presumably gold.

You may want to retry your testing with a small gold earring in dry fluffy beach sand. All I can say is I have found low conductors such as gold respond better to higher frequencies, and high conductors such as silver respond better to lower frequencies. But if the lower frequency works better for gold jewelry in your locale, then certainly that is what you should use..

Happy hunting!

Charles

Date: August 03, 2016 01:42PM
Charles,

Can you ever use Preamp 4 in any detecting or no? Just curious.

Tom

Date: August 03, 2016 02:53PM
sonnar28
Wheat Cent
sonnar28

Happy Hunting!

Charles

volume 53
threshold 30
tone 231
audio disc 0n
silent search off
mixed mode off
AC 76
DC 48
view angel 25
ratchet pinpoint on
SAT 10
tone ID on
VCO on
modulation off
auto trac off
track view off
auto trac speed 8
autotrac offset +1
trac inhib on
Course GEB 126
fine GEB 255
accept +95
reject +94
accept +93 to -80
reject -81 to -95
learn accept off
learn reject off
recovery speed 30
bottlecap reject 1
hot rock reject 3
sweep speed 1
ground filtering 3
visual disc off
icons on
VDI 95
dc phase on
graph averaging on
graph accumulate on
fade rate 5
preamp gain 3
2 freq best data off
2 freq coorelate on
VDI normalize on
1 freq 3 off
1 freq 15 off

Remember Tom is hunting specifically for jewelry, presumably gold.

You may want to retry your testing with a small gold earring in dry fluffy beach sand. All I can say is I have found low conductors such as gold respond better to higher frequencies, and high conductors such as silver respond better to lower frequencies. But if the lower frequency works better for gold jewelry in your locale, then certainly that is what you should use..

Happy hunting!

Charles

I never mentioned sensitivity to gold, I just said that 3khz is Deeper than 15kHz but less sensitive to gold and small objects. Thus relic hunters and silver hunters should use 3kHz, and gold hunters should use 15kHz. Thus really it depends on what you are hunting for but I know that 3khz can determine foil from gold better than 15kHz.

Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: August 03, 2016 04:23PM
The beach program is a good start and adjust as needed. I would not use single frequency in wet sand/water, that defeats the DFX's trump card...... dual frequency. Yes, I would dig everything above iron on a beach, you will dig a lot of trash but that is where some very nice finds are found too.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030

Date: August 03, 2016 05:02PM
tommyboy1
Charles,

Can you ever use Preamp 4 in any detecting or no? Just curious.

Tom

Pre amp 4 is fine as long as your machine is stable, I would rather go for the higher pre amp gain and feather down the AC to control it. On South Carolina/Georgia beaches I can usually use pre amp 4 except in the upper dry sand or near piers.

Remember you can tip the front end of the bigfoot down to detect in high trash areas, it is a nice trick to try when the machine starts nulling or showing multiple readings in a small area. Another thing I have found is that the bigfoot does not like water or sand in the coil cover, I have to remove the cover and wipe it and the coil dry to stabilize it (the alternative is to turn the pre amp/AC down significantly).

I loosely tape a one gallon ziploc bag around the DFX control box to protect it from salt spray.

Good luck with your hunting, this time of year coverage is the name of the game, few coils cover like the bigfoot!

Charles

Posted by: NMchaser
Date: August 04, 2016 06:19PM
I also found out a couple of years ago that using the Bigfoot coil tip down worked in high trash areas. I did not feel like walking back to the truck to put a small coil on. A couple of keeper's were found in a burn/dump site at a ghost town.

Posted by: Mega
Date: August 04, 2016 09:29PM
I cannot see the logic in running the DFX in single freq mode on wet sand,its claim to fame is the dual freq,most single freq vlf machines will struggle on wet sand,you can get them to run 'slightly' better by throttling back the settings.

Most folks when they get a DFX just want too crank it up to the maximum and then often sell them shortly afterwards,the art with the DFX infact with any detector is getting it to run smoothly and more than often they run best with slightly lower settings.Mine is a 2001 machine and had mine since new and still going strong and still learning about it after using it for 1000s of hours of use.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: August 04, 2016 10:47PM
Mega
I cannot see the logic in running the DFX in single freq mode on wet sand,its claim to fame is the dual freq,most single freq vlf machines will struggle on wet sand,you can get them to run 'slightly' better by throttling back the settings.

Most folks when they get a DFX just want too crank it up to the maximum and then often sell them shortly afterwards,the art with the DFX infact with any detector is getting it to run smoothly and more than often they run best with slightly lower settings.Mine is a 2001 machine and had mine since new and still going strong and still learning about it after using it for 1000s of hours of use.

Mines dated 2006, so a decade old but it works, StI'll learning it but it's a good machine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login