Findmall.com

Whites DFX Users Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I'm a Whites DFX user any others?
Posted by: sasquache
Date: March 24, 2017 05:08AM
Hello just wondering if there are any others out there that use the whites DFX only ? It would be nice to be able to talk with other user's of this awesome unit.Thank's Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 05:13AM by sasquache.

Re: I'm a Whites DFX user any others?
Posted by: Southwind
Date: March 24, 2017 06:53AM
I don't use the DFX exclusively, but I have been using one since 2003.

In my opinion, the DFX still has one of the best target ID systems on the market. Unfortunately the DFX is not a real deep machine without some good tweaking and knowledge of the detector. Built like a tank, like most Whites machines, and a ton of coils to chose from. I believe there are like 12 different coils available for the DFX. I have found nothing better for tot lot hunting. And I do mean NOTHING! Put the sucker in 15 kHz only and it will find sequins your pinpointer won't even hit on.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 06:54AM by Southwind.

Posted by: Mega
Date: March 24, 2017 11:45AM
Still own a DFX had mine since 2001 which was one of the very 1st machine here in the UK,it was my main detector for well over 12,its found me some stunning Celtic gold staters,one of my all time favourite machines especially with the 10x6 coil and the deeper 12'' Hotshot coil,as been mentioned other machines have taken the top crown namely the T2 then the Deus.Possibly not the deepest machine going but when running in 15khz and using the 12'' Concentric Hotshot coil it then becomes a pretty good pasture site machine,cannot put my finger on it but it locks onto gold very well.

Almost certain it was never accepted by a wider audience was the fact they are not the easiest machines too master but once it clicks then basically for many years i used it as a switch on and go machine as you have the ability to store your desired settings in a spare slot,the trouble is and the time consuming and often frustrating part of it was working out what settings are finally right for your site/s,targets and ground conditions etc.

I do occasionally take the DFX out for a swing,wont ever part with it for sure,still use a few Whites machines like the TDI Pro and IDX Pro,last of the classic metal box machines,these days as they have gone down the cheap plastic route rather than the tank built like quality from years gone past,i have changed over to other brands as Whites seem to have slipped into a non productive groove in recent years.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: airscapes
Date: March 25, 2017 06:45AM
Yup, don't get to hunt to often or in good locations, but today I have the run of a field a few miles south of where the Battle of Brandywine took place, so very excited.. Might even try using my swingy thingy which I have yet to use.. but with 700' of depth there is a lot of field to cover..
Plan is to use the 950 in mix mode with the U13 6x10 and 4x6 in the car just in case they are needed. If the grass is low enough I may give the U13 a shot but won't work well with stubble.. also my be muddy and I don't see the U13 doing very well in mud.
Will let you know how I make out!

Doug White's DFX, 950,U13, 6x10 & 4x6 coils | CoinMaster GT, 4x6 Shooter Coil, NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer and DIY Wireless FM Transmitter and Etymotic Research ER-6i in-ear phones

Date: March 26, 2017 06:39AM
I'm really happy to see other DFX user's out there but the main thing for me is not depth but discrimination I think that matters more. But the one thing I cannot get figured out is how to set the disc number but im sure with time it will click. Thank you all for responding. Paul, (Metaldetectingmaine) Moderator.

Date: March 26, 2017 08:28AM
Unfortunate nothing old came from the field. The DFS worked great with the 950 on it as the site was not too trashy. Dug a couple of tiny pieces of foil at 6 inchs as well as the back of a snap about 3/16 wide at about 6" I get got the feeling this field had been back filled in resent years..
Bad news was after lunch I put the Ultimate 13 coil on and it would not ground balance or pick up the car door until it was against it. This coil worked in the fall and has been sitting in a bag with the 950 since.. Also I think the 3rd or 4th U13 I have had as they keep failing in one way or another. Not a coil I would recommend anymore..

Doug White's DFX, 950,U13, 6x10 & 4x6 coils | CoinMaster GT, 4x6 Shooter Coil, NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer and DIY Wireless FM Transmitter and Etymotic Research ER-6i in-ear phones

Date: March 29, 2017 09:57PM
Problem was the connector on the coil wire. The metal barrel does not have a wire soldered to it to ground it. The ground is the metal clip that holds the plastic connector in the metal barrel. If you push down on the tab in the little cutout on the barrel the connector and cable push out of the metal barrel. Just bent that tap up a bit so it is tighter in the barrel and the coil was back to normal. Another bad design idea.. fast assembly but not so great for reliability.

Posted by: Mega
Date: April 05, 2017 08:30PM
Just had a phone call from one of my local farmers and he has just deep ploughed,rolled and seeded 150 acres of his land,ground is like snooker table its that flat,plan of action is taking the DFX cw 12'' Hotshot coil out on both this saturday/sunday as that will allow the air to settle in the ploughed soil,the conditions are about as perfect as one could get,sunny days,deep ploughed fields and just across the road from my massive roman villa complex.

So the wife will have too do without me for the weekend,she can see me out the window of my house anyway as its within eye sight,lucky the farmer does allow me to detect even though its just been seeded right up until the crop is about 3-4'' high then it stops till harvest time,so we have a narrow window to detect of maybe 3-4 weeks maximum depending on the weather of course.

Just checked the battery level on the DFX with the RNB battery pack in and it still showing a full charge,this battery just keeps going and going and is also much lighter than the Whites original battery pack.

Happy Days ahead :smile:

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: April 12, 2017 05:07AM
Sounds Awesome Mega keep me posted on how things went.

Posted by: Kentuck11
Date: May 25, 2017 03:36PM
I own two DFX's. I bought my first one back in 2002 and it is still going strong. I only recently found message boards online and there is a wealth of information on them all including here. I learned to use the DFX myself by trial and error. I never owned or read any books other than the manual that came with the detectors. My program does well for most areas where I detect, which is mostly very high trash/iron/nails/junk. The deepest I have ever dug a coin is between 9 and 10 inches, but I have dug larger objects, much deeper, and even though the pinpointing will tell me the depth is sometimes as deep as 13.5 inches, it is usually much more shallow, and wet ground compared to very dry ground also makes a difference in determining depth. I get deeper when the ground is wet, say a day or two after a good soaking rain. I only recently read posts about Mixed Mode and All Metal Mode but I think this area is too trashy for using either of those. I don't like Tone ID on, and I rarely use it. I keep things simple, and I do just fine. I generally use Best Data, but will switch to Correlate when trash gets even worse than it is, and I have even used 15kHz when I get close to a big power line crossing the property here. Some days I can run PAG at 4, and AC at 75, but sometimes I will have to put PAG to 3 and even lower the AC to 70 or even 68. I don't know why some days the settings are unstable and others they are fine. I haven't tried the DFX at the beach for any length of time, and I want to do so, but am looking for some tips on that also. I will not hunt in the water, just on the water's edge and inland from there. I have a Detech 10 X 5 that I was thinking of using at the beach.

Date: July 02, 2017 01:44PM
I like my DFX but find it odd that so many people complain about the DFX's many settings and that it is too difficult to learn. I have never read any books associated with the DFX and only recently found these forums that are filled with great advice from seasoned experienced detectorists. The info found on these forums would save any new detectorist a great deal of time, and I would recommend any and all of the great DFX books out there, especially for the beginners. My previous detector was a White's analog detector so moving up to the DFX should have been difficult, but it wasn't, and shouldn't be unless you are unwilling to spend a little time practicing with the detector.
I read the manual several times to help me understand what all the settings were for and once I set the 'basic' settings to my likings, that left only about a dozen settings that I would need to fine tune to my area and my style of hunting.
Some of these are listed below:

AC Sensitivity
DC Sensitivity
Block Edit
Recovery Speed
Bottlecap Reject
HotRock Reject
Sweep Speed
Ground Filtering
VDI Sensitivity
PreAmp Gain

And once I set the Discrimination(Block Edit), then I practiced on coins laid out on top of the ground for air testing, and I also had a coin garden with all coins buried at 8" or deeper. I did my air testing at between 10 and 12 inches and ran though BCR, HRR, SS, GF and VDI Sensitivity, which all had to be re-adjusted once I went to the ground garden, but once I got the coins to register at the 10 to 12 inch ranges, I went to the test garden and made adjustments to the BCR, HRR, SS, GF and VDI Sensitivity again until they all registered.
I saved my settings, and now when I go out, I adjust the AC, DC sensitivities and the PAG, all as high as I can each time I start detecting without getting unwanted sounds when not searching or when holding the detector in the air, and the DC I usually keep between 1/2 and 2/3 of what I have the AC is set at. It's that simple. No need to hunt for years in pre programmed modes as some suggest, just take the time to experiment. The factory programs are nice, but too simple and get no depth, and they are great for familiarizing yourself with the machine, but to get familiar with it, it only takes a few hours, not days or weeks or months. I don't know, maybe I am a fast learner, but I think people are/were scared away from the DFX by those that state it has a steep and very long learning curve, but I found that not to be true, but then I did my own experimenting before I found these forums, and that was over 15 years ago, but I still find my DFX is a very good detector and can get deep in the right conditions if you take the time to learn it. I now own 2 DFX's and I will never part with either.

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 02, 2017 04:16PM
Kentuck11, I couldn't agree with you more - the DFX is a fine detector! It's not that complex or difficult to learn. I've used White's detectors since the late 1980's starting with the Eagle 2. And like you, learning each detector was a self-taught adventure - reading and re-reading the manual and learning what each adjustment offered. One additional adjustment that I always recommend to new DFX users is to use DC Phase. I started employing that feature , although it was not called DC phase, with the Eagle 2 where it gave a "High" or "Low" reading at the bottom of the screen indicating ferrous or non-ferrous targets. On the XLT and DFX, I found that the DC Phase reading was a great aide in accurate pinpointing and an aide in distinguishing a bottle cap from a quarter. Although my main detector now is the V3i, I will NOT part with my DFX and I still take it out for a hunt every now and then. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 02, 2017 05:14PM
Thanks, Blind Squirrel for the response. Yes, the V3i has been on my want list for a while but for now, I am very pleased with my DFX's. Yes, I have only recently seriously used the DC Phase and it is a great tool for helping ID certain targets and whether to them dig or not. I don't have a problem with much aluminum or bottle caps here where I do most of my hunting, but in modern trashy areas, it works great.
I just think people are either not willing to take the time to learn the DFX or they are too lazy and think it is too complicated. Once you get your basic settings out of the way, it becomes fun to adjust the remaining few, and for me, setting up and learning the different settings turned out to be as fun as getting out and metal detecting, at least it gave me something to do on those days when I couldn't get away from the house to go MDing.
Kentuck

Posted by: Blind Squirrel
Date: July 03, 2017 01:36AM
Kentuck11, I know what you mean about the fun and challenge of figuring out the best way to maximize the performance of the DFX -the same applies to the V3i. With the V3i I really like the Live Search screen where I can place whatever adjustments I want at the bottom of the screen for easy one button access. And the cordless headphones are a joy when I relic hunt. I tend to focus on getting very close to mesquite trees where with my DFX the head phone cord would invariably get snagged on a branch. I have had my headphones yanked off more than a few times. Bottom line though, Kentuck11, in my opinion the DFX is a hard detector to beat in the hands of someone who has taken the time and risen to the challenge to master it. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Date: July 03, 2017 10:46AM
Yes, I really want a V3i, even more now that I hear people talking about them. I hunt a lot here around huisache, mesquite, cactus, and thistles among other thorned and non-thorned plants, so I don't use headphones, but then it is quiet out here in the country so outside noise does not interfere with my hunting, but I like the cordless headphones on the V3i. I will upgrade one of these days but I don't think I am missing much with me DFX's. Most coins, even the older 1800's coins are almost all shallow, 5 inches or less. I found one dime at around 9 inches but it was in a wash where over time, apparently soil washed down over it. I constantly hit targets over 1 foot deep, but they are large iron objects or multiple smaller objects, but I usually dig them anyway. I found the sites of 2 old buildings and an old homsites along with a buried waterwell that no one alive today in this area knew about. I hope to find more old coins with my DFX's, but I dream of the day that I get a V3i. Where do you do most of your hunting? Inland? Any beach hunting?

Have a Happy Hunting Independence Day.

Kentuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login